Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #1

Dually Rear End Sprinters ...

My wife and I went out comparison shopping today (alas, no SMB's ). We saw about 6 different class B's and C's with Sprinter chassises. One salesman we spoke to really likes the Pleasureway Plateau largely because of the Sprinter 3500 build-out with the dually rear end. In his opinion, only two wheels in the back isn't enough for a 22+ foot Sprinter fully loaded. Since we seemed to like the EB Sprinter floor plans (I'm 6'2" and really need a bigger bed), what can SMB do to beef up the rear end? Does anyone know? Is it overkill?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Re: Dually Rear End Sprinters ...

I thought you can order the EB sprinter with a dually set up.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeek33
I thought you can order the EB sprinter with a dually set up.

Yeah, I called them yesterday and they confirmed that. If only they'd build an EB with a PH ...

Sigh ...

Thanks,

Brian
Old 09-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #4

For the record, you can get a dually Sprinter - it's a 3500 versus a 2500 chassis. It's not a conversion like the 4x4's SMB does, for example. It has to be ordered that way from the factory. Only the two longer bodies, though ...

Brian
Old 09-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #5

I don't know for sure what you're planning, but I think starting off by taking the advice of a car salesman who was trying to sell you on a particular model is a bad idea.

For starters the build weight of a Pleasureway is probably heavier, and I would guess that the dually for that is even overkill, but you really have to look at the numbers to be sure (unless you're just interested in looks).

Remember the 22' Sprinters are produced mostly as cargo, delivery and service trucks. If the 2500 wasn't in itself capable, I don't know why they would even offer it... just a thought since no one has seemed to address that portion of your question.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
For starters the build weight of a Pleasureway is probably heavier, and I would guess that the dually for that is even overkill, but you really have to look at the numbers to be sure (unless you're just interested in looks).

Remember the 22' Sprinters are produced mostly as cargo, delivery and service trucks. If the 2500 wasn't in itself capable, I don't know why they would even offer it... just a thought since no one has seemed to address that portion of your question.
There's a lot to be said for that. I hadn't considered it from that perspective. I'll have to check the FedEx and DHL vehicles a little more closely and see what they use. I haven't done my due dilligence on the weights, respectively. I also agree about not necessarily trusting the word of a salesman (used to be one, myself ... )

However, this particular dealership offered about 5 - 6 different vehicles/manufacturers all on Sprinter chassis: PleasureWay; Four Winds Ventura (the one he had issues with as to the short-comings of the 2500 model); the Four Winds Siesta (small class C); Airstream Interstate; Leisure Travel and a small class C Gulf Stream Mini. He said that many dealers have commented to Four Winds about the supposed inadequacy of the longer Sprinter chassis without a 3500. It was as much stability while loaded as it was about weight. During this conversation, my internal salesman BS indicator light didn't go on, but I've been wrong before.

We also drove a few miles away from the first dealer and looked at Roadtreks.

My choice, if made today, would be between PleasureWay, Roadtrek, the Monaco Covina (another small C) and an SMB.

Looks are important, but only to a point ...

Thanks for chiming in!

Brian
Old 09-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #7

I have an EB Sprinter 2500 with the high roof, no penthouse. I have it configured in a rear couch design, very similar to the layout at http://www.sportsmobile.com/2_sr_exp_eb4.html
I am 6'-0 and had the bed made 76" long. It is a little bigger than a queen size and very comfortable for me. I am able to walk around inside the van without hitting my head on the fluorescent fixtures. At 6'-2 you would have to crouch down a little or go with a penthouse design.

As far as the dual rear wheels issue, I have not had any problems with my rig without them. I don't do any "off road" driving where 4WD would be required. When you say fully loaded what do you mean? Are you going to load it beyond the GVWR of a 2500? I am able to get everything in the van I want and not go over the GVWR. I expect to get about 20,000 miles on a set of tires. The rear wear quicker than the front but with rotation they will hit the tread limit at the same time. I have not had any handling issues. One thing to consider if you go with dual rear wheels is that there will be more space lost on the interior because of the bigger wheel wells.

Hope that is a help.
/~fred
fmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmiles
When you say fully loaded what do you mean? Are you going to load it beyond the GVWR of a 2500? I am able to get everything in the van I want and not go over the GVWR. I expect to get about 20,000 miles on a set of tires. The rear wear quicker than the front but with rotation they will hit the tread limit at the same time. I have not had any handling issues. One thing to consider if you go with dual rear wheels is that there will be more space lost on the interior because of the bigger wheel wells.
Well, the GVWR for the Sprinter (the SMB web site doesn't specify length) is 8500#.

25 gallons of fuel weighs about 210#, two people 350#. Maybe 200# worth of clothes, dishware, food. Another 200 - 300# for water and propane, probably (just a guess). That's about 1000 - 1100# added. Based on what I've read (admittedly, it's a bit confusing as I'm not sure what is about Ford's and Chevy's and what's about Sprinters), it seems there's a concensus that by the time SMB builds out a conversion, the GVWR is pretty much maxed out. So if I add 1100# to a maxed out GVWR, I'm overweight ...

Some of these non-SMB class B's I've seen weigh 10 - 12K# ...

Am I missing something ? Using fuzzy math? Something else?

I hadn't considered the impact the larger wheelwells would have on interior space. I appreciate that. I assume that you can rotate your tires for more even tread wear.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 09-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #9

The GVWR discussion is all about Fords.

You're taking an assumption, adding 1100lbs to it and comparing that to the SMB website that doesn't even specify which model they're talking about... not that we do a lot better around here, but you really need to look at real numbers.

I have no idea how an SMB build out compares to any other manufacturer, but my guess (wild assumption) is that it's lighter... it certainly seems more Spartan and they (SMB) don't use real wood or hang big mirrors or anything.

I don't know anybody besides my brother that has a LWB EB Sprinter SMB, and with 2 bunks, a gaucho, full side of upper and lower cabinets plus enough camping gear for my father to live outside the SMB for 10 days, which is more than any normal person would take the 2500 seemed just fine- but again that assessment has nothing to do with real weights, just watching him flat tow a Jeep on I-70 over the Rockies and then the highways and backroads around Meeker.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
You're taking an assumption, adding 1100lbs to it and comparing that to the SMB website that doesn't even specify which model they're talking about... not that we do a lot better around here, but you really need to look at real numbers.
There I go assuming again ... I guess that other than the GVWR numbers the web site offers, one way to know for sure, is to buy one, outfit it, fill it with fuel, propane, gear and passengers and take it to the local weigh station. The only problem with that is - what if it's underbuilt? Guess I'd be stuck.

It occurs to me that regardless of how a vehicle seems to do, there's parameters that tell you what you should do. That's what I'm trying to find out, hopefully from someone who already has one. I don't appear to be getting very far, and I'm a bit frustrated.

I'd rather be over-built than under-built. I may be wrong about that, but if I am it appears that a lot of Ford and Chevy SMBers do pretty much the same thing. They build a lot of these out like they're ready to go to Afghanistan or someplace ...

The only example I have is this: we own a Prius. The manual tells me it's "not advised" to try to tow anything behind it, in fact if they so much as saw holes in the frame where a hitch had been added and removed - it'd void the warranty.

So, if not here - where might you recommend I go to find out?

Thanks for hangin' in there with me ...

Brian