Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #11

Water flow control on the kitchen sprayer?

Can you turn the water flow off via a button on the kitchen sprayer? Like if you've got it pulled out several feet can you use the end to control of if the water is on/off?

DWilliamsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #12

It's a tough call with cabinets. The thing is that if you live out of duffels, you're going to have exploded bags everywhere, and that nice, clean open space is going to look and feel cluttered. We've lived out of patagonia and north face duffels for years, and it sucks. This is after using cubes to organize our clothes. Having drawers to put stuff is so much better.

I'd also suggest you get with SMB to figure out how they're doing a flat-plate for hot water. I had to special order an option from MB to allow sportsmobile to tap into the engine coolant line. Otherwise, there is no way for them to do that legally. If there is a misunderstanding about the hot water, you may have to look at other options for that. If you go with a hot water tank, that's going to take up more space.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #13

Also - I always liked this type of layout if you had passengers. Something to consider.

http://www.gohymer.com/wp-content/up...ES_Dec15th.pdf
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilliamsTX View Post

The killer, for me, on the RB50 is not being able to seat more than 5. I do buck such a proven layout with caution, though.

I'm hopeful the van will also be a road trip machine and an asset on group trips where seating a few more will be handy (the gaucho has 3 belts, I think?). I think this layout may honestly be the most limiting thing, re-sale wise.
Regarding additional seating, I suggest you and your wife have a serious discussion about this. When my wife and (adult) daughters got involved, I quickly found out that side facing seats such as the gaucho were a no-go for anyone except for adults, and that even then they, as the most often future users, weren't very excited with the prospect of sitting facing in any direction except forward. My guess is that you are thinking of using the van as a future kid hauler, my experience tells me that most mom's are not going to agree to have their children buckled in sitting sideways.

You may want to contact michaelf, he is configuring his build for three young boys. I believe his plan is a wider forward facing rear bench seat with four seat belts, accomplished by giving up the closet on the side of the typical 50 layout.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:34 PM   #15

Quote:
The killer, for me, on the RB50 is not being able to seat more than 5. I do buck such a proven layout with caution, though.

I'm hopeful the van will also be a road trip machine and an asset on group trips where seating a few more will be handy (the gaucho has 3 belts, I think?). I think this layout may honestly be the most limiting thing, re-sale wise.
We are going with a 2017 4x4 144" modified 50 layout with PH. The forward facing bench seat will extend the entire width of the van, no driver side cabinet. Kitchen placement will be the same as the 50. This allows for 4 forward seat belts on the bench seat and leaves the 'living room' area open. Seating for 6 total. BTW, I think in a few states it's illegal for minors to ride in side facing seats but I'd do some research first (for when the kids get older...someone is going to want to bring a friend along at some point).

I know we lack storage in this layout, but with the wife and 3 kids under 10y/o it's a flexible layout that makes it workable for family vacations and very roomy for when it's a me and buddy for a fishing trip or concert weekend. Huge downstairs bed and room upstairs as well. No porta potti, using that cabinet as a pantry. All other gear will go under the bed panel behind the gaucho or tied down using anchor points and d-rings. Makes getting to it a pain, but I know everything will get shuffled to it's rightful place when in camp. Also getting underfloor storage and Aluminess bumper/tire carrier/box. It's a give and take with storage, seating, accessibility to gear, etc.

Anyhow, welcome...and just a little extra info to help with the overload...
michaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:41 AM   #16

We've gotta Alunimess box on the rear and railed top to that; we usually place two seven+/- gallon blue water jugs up there; it's a consideration to any tank size I guess. Water's vital in the SouthWest.
The exterior box is excellent for our outside kitchen cookware, stove, small bottle propane, cutlery, all the supplies to run a sweet 'we're cooking for the gang' and 'yeah, we got that check the galley box...' set up.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #17

It was great to bring these points to the meeting yesterday, thanks for the input everyone.

Got to chat through our plan with Brian and Paul. We got lucky and they are in the final stages on a van with a very similar floorplan, it was good to get a feel for how the layout works. They are great guys and were super helpful.

They said we got really lucky in another way as well, our van was one of the last three they're getting from Mercedes any time soon, they said something about the EPA not approving the emissions on them because they're nervous about the whole VW fiasco. Sounded like Mercedes has completely filled their holding area at the port and is having to cut back production on the 2017's because they don't have anywhere to put them? Yikes. Of course, this is now 4th hand knowledge, so take it with a grain of salt.

Water
We're going to do a custom 20 gallon tank to maximize both water capacity and horizontal free-space under the gaucho. I didn't know that was an option, and it frees up space for the lithium setup plus some - they said it's about $500.

Isotherm Fridge
SMB's concern is just that they are hard to find should they break in the middle of nowhere - I'm not that worried about it. I think I'll research a bit more and try to track one down and provide it for the install.

Vinyl or Laminate flooring
We really want a wood-look for the floor. We're going to go look at some flooring after we firm up on trim/cabinet colors. Brian said we could send them the product info to verify it would work, and they'd install no problem. I've heard the vinyl that looks like wood is more stable in an RV environment, so going to look there first. I'm more excited about this than i should be

Hot Water
I had a "duh" moment realizing that the Airtronic + flatplate was close to the same money as a D5, and was much less convenient for hot water. We're making the switch to the D5, kind of a no-brainer.

Cabinets
We're going to leave the space in the back cabinet-free...for now - my wife is skeptical, as am I, but we're going to try lashing down a set of several plastic totes (the 8" tall ones) to hold clothes and other supplies, so they can be removed when I'm using it as a daily driver for the next couple of years. Can easily have a cabinet added later if thats how we want to do it.

Sideways Seating
I appreciate the input here. I don't envision doing long hauls with 7 people in the van, but if we meet another family to camp out, being able to put a couple extra people for a drive to a trailhead or to town would be nice. I suppose the pass-through layouts have always appealed to me more, as well. If we did have 5 or 6 in the van for an extended period I think you'd have to take turns in the captains chairs (of course, assuming everyone could legally/safely ride sideways in a few years).

Other Stuff
My wife reported she wasn't very impressed with the captain's chairs she sat in. I didn't think to test them out while I was there - would love any opinions people have on them. Will try to test some out a bit next time I'm in.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMay View Post
We've gotta Alunimess box on the rear and railed top to that; we usually place two seven+/- gallon blue water jugs up there; it's a consideration to any tank size I guess. Water's vital in the SouthWest.
The exterior box is excellent for our outside kitchen cookware, stove, small bottle propane, cutlery, all the supplies to run a sweet 'we're cooking for the gang' and 'yeah, we got that check the galley box...' set up.
I've spec-ed the galley box with a rail - I think we'll use it in a very similar way to what you're describing. It can swing all the way to be almost under the awning, correct?
Old 02-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelf View Post
Anyhow, welcome...and just a little extra info to help with the overload...
Glad to know someone else going for a SMB with really young kids - look forward to sharing some war stories
Old 02-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #20

Quote:
I've spec-ed the galley box with a rail - I think we'll use it in a very similar way to what you're describing. It can swing all the way to be almost under the awning, correct?
Not quite to a right angle with the van, the bars protecting the side of the panels block that final amount.
It's a better storage container than operation surface station to cook out of; our Primus two burner stove fits in the lower section, turned on its back edge, barely but fits. We put out two camp tables under the awning front edge, set up the kitchen and call it good. We'll lock goodies in there when we leave the site for a few hours.
Another awesome aspect of the Aluminess Front Bumper set up: We pull a blue jug for set up by the tables for cooking water kanteen filler, but the hand wash, clean up station is the front bumper between the headlamps. The blue jug fits right in the space, there's flat zones to set stuff there, etc. The kids will have a nice outside cleanup hand wash station off the front end. Dig a small hole below it and let the runoff pool there and back fill after rolling up.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote