Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2014, 05:47 PM   #31

Re: Factory Sprinter 4x4

K9Sprinter, thanks for your input on pricing. I guess my mind is already slipping, and I'm certainly not as savvy a buyer as you. I wonder how much I could have saved on a 2015 4x4? I was feeling bad about this for a few hours today, and then instead, I decided to look forward to the nice times we expect to have out on the back roads, where there won't be so many people.

Steve_382, the numbers I'm hearing now on the 4x4 option are similar to what you posted. We ordered the High and Low option.

Yondermountain, even though we were in the initial SBM West order for 30, there is still some uncertainty. Apparently the MBz allotment for US was for 1500 to 1600 vans. During their ordering windows on Monday, I guess they received something like 1700 orders. So, they still have some sorting-out to do.

D

WestyToSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:03 PM   #32

Well westytosmb, I think you are going to have one sweet rig! I don't think there will be too many deals on these things for the first couple years anyway. I too went from westy syncro to smb and as much as I loved the westy, it was nice to have the reliability and conveniences of the smb for sure. I think the 4x4 sprinter will be a great rig. Keep us posted on where it all sits with smb,etc. j
yondermountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #33
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

[emoji102]
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:21 AM   #34
REF

Here's a first drive report....sort of

2015 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4x4 First Drive via MOTOR TREND News for iPhone
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/min ... index.html
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 11-14-2014, 05:25 AM   #35

delays and NEW WEIGHT LIMITS for production for 4x4s at factory
Attached Files
File Type: pdf attachment (3).pdf (161.9 KB, 21 views)
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:28 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9sprinter
delays on production for 4x4s at factory
This is in there too:
"Until further notice maximum Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW) reduced from 7,400lbs to 6,590lbs."

Herb
Old 11-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #37

Fedex has lately been buying F250 4x4s (with 5.4 engines, never a diesel domestic for some reason) and putting a cargo box on the back of them for the last few years, for rural and snowy routes. It's hard to believe they are going to shell out this much money for 4x4 Sprinters, but I can believe it. All in the name of looking green vs. getting something that will better do the job. Our Sprinters get beat down hard, and quickly, and the mechanics all hate them. I mean they HATE them. They long for the early 5-cylinders that were relatively easy to maintain, vs. the newer V6/Bluetec/DEF models they now have the unfortunate task of maintaining. They stay broken. They may be a perfect vehicle for OTR (hot shot/expedite) use, but they are destroyed by everyday start/stop driving. The chassis fall apart too quickly compared to the tough old Fords. They all have check engine lights on, constantly. I'm sure the 4x4s will be even more of a nightmare, even more complex. Fedex won't support their mechanics with the proper tools and training when they buy them, they will just pull them out of service for the first few years taking them to an MB/Freightliner/whatever dealership to let them do the hard stuff. This way our mechanics are glorified secretaries and shuttle drivers, and the green looking company has their drivers driving rental van (2wd domestics) while the expensive, but green 4x4 Sprinters sit at dealer maintenance. It's a joke. Sorry to be so negative. It drives me nuts.
Here's another thing. Fedex, and I bet UPS and whoever else, never trains or even mentions to an employee how to drive a 4x4. Most employees don't know that hubs even have to be locked in. They know nothing about the vehicles they drive, unless they just happen to be the kind of guy who might know from personal experience, and that is not a prerequisite for being issued one of these vehicles. A majority of guys I know, sorry to say, don't know where there fuse boxes are. So they get torn up and misused, and they break, and they sit.
None of this has anything to do with a Sportsmobile 4x4 Sprinter. Nothing at all. It's just they way I see things happen, everyday. 10 years from now someone like myself might be able to afford a used, beaten down, rusted out, former fleet owned 4x4 Sprinter, but I won't, because I know better. If you can get one new, enjoy it.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9sprinter
delays on production for 4x4s at factory
This is in there too:
"Until further notice maximum Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW) reduced from 7,400lbs to 6,590lbs."

Herb
They lowered the allowed conversion weight on 2500s.
This means converters have a max UVW of 6590 on 4x4 ( all of conversion options + chassis can’t be over 6590 ). means you lose 810 lbs!!!!!
that's NOT GOOD NEWS for people doing conversions on the 2500s,
most 2500 Sprinter RVs are already almost maxed out before you load your stuff in it. (that's why most RV manufactures switched to 3500s)
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #39
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Our Sprinters get beat down hard, and quickly, and the mechanics all hate them. I mean they HATE them. They long for the early 5-cylinders that were relatively easy to maintain, vs. the newer V6/Bluetec/DEF models they now have the unfortunate task of maintaining. They stay broken. They may be a perfect vehicle for OTR (hot shot/expedite) use, but they are destroyed by everyday start/stop driving. The chassis fall apart too quickly compared to the tough old Fords. They all have check engine lights on, constantly. I'm sure the 4x4s will be even more of a nightmare, even more complex. Fedex won't support their mechanics with the proper tools and training when they buy them, they will just pull them out of service for the first few years taking them to an MB/Freightliner/whatever dealership to let them do the hard stuff. This way our mechanics are glorified secretaries and shuttle drivers, and the green looking company has their drivers driving rental van (2wd domestics) while the expensive, but green 4x4 Sprinters sit at dealer maintenance. It's a joke. Sorry to be so negative. It drives me nuts.
That is a reasonable way to look at vehicles even if the average driver doesn't push their RV's like that. We've had nothing with trouble with out new F-550 fleet vehicles even though the world seems to think it's a good package. OK, we treat them poorly They are planning to put Sprinter type vehicles into the field... we'll see. Don't get me wrong, I'm also not saying the Sprinter or other conversions are not RV worthy. The fact is we put our fleet vehicles through the mill.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #40
REF

Factory Sprinter 4x4

Daveb and 86Scotty-Those are both good and valid perspectives to look at, I would want to know if fleet vehicles stood up to real world use (and abuse). Daveb, what specifically has been the issues with the F-550? Engine (which one), chassis, drivetrain? They think replacing them with sprinters is the right call? or just in addition to for other uses. Where's the Ford transit in all of this? And a factory 4X4 version to boot.
CCV High Profile Pop Top