Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #1

Fantastic Fan and vent cover

We have a 2016 Sprinter-Sportsmobile that has a Fantastic Fan with a rain sensor. Does anyone have Sprinter with a Fantastic Fan and the Ultrabreez vent cover that can be added to it? If so, how is the vent cover working out? Does it add excessive wind noise when being driven? By way of explanation, we have had the van since Nov. 2016. On a recent snowbird trip to Florida, the rain sensor started acting up, closing the vent at the slightest hint of humidity. I'm going to disconnect the rain sensor when the weather here in Pennsylvania gets warmer, but that doesn't entirely solve the problem either, in that we'd like to be able to go to sleep with the fan running and not have to worry about a lot of rain coming in.

mechmike10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:31 AM   #2

On a similar thought, how about road noise associated with the Fantastic Fan at highway speeds? I reserved a space in the PH for the fan in case I see the need, but past experience in previous motor homes make me wonder about the added road noise. My 2016 Sprinter is fairly quiet going down the road and it is easy to carry on a conversation, that is an important feature to me and it is not something I want to adversely effect.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #3

I don't know whether you are talking about having the Fan vent open or closed. Fantastic Fan claims you can drive with it open, but we don't do this. We previously owned trailers with Fantastic Fans and there was no point in having it open while the trailer was being towed down the road. We don't keep it open in the van while driving because there doesn't seem to be a need. The Sprinter auto air conditioner seems to work well enough to keep those in the front seats comfortable, although the back end warms up some. Since you aren't supposed to drive with the canopy windows opened, I'm not sure it would do much to cool the back. If we needed that (which we haven't so far), I suppose we would run the roof air and put up with that noise. When the Fantastic Fan is closed, it has a very low profile and I don't notice any wind noise from it.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #4

I don't have a sprinter and I don't have that fantastic fan with all the bells and whistles but I do have the plain fantastic fan with 3-speed forward and reverse. I added a cover to it and haven't closed the fan except for very very cold nights. The only time water gets in is if I intentionally spray it with a strong garden hose. As for noise driving down the road, it is at the very rear of my van and I wouldn't hear it if it did, i dont think it makes any But it does allow additional wind/air in while driving and thats a nice option.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #5

If I install a fan it will but located at the front of the penthouse, immediately behind the driver’s and passenger’s seats, thus my concern about road noise. It would be closed when driving, but I still worry about the added noise. I guess it would be a simple enough matter to make an insulated pad that would install from below, one more thing to think about. The only time it is a concern for us is when stealth camping with the PH down, in this case we have screens for the front windows, but I still can see where the roof vent with fan would be an improvement.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #6

Our Fantastic Fan was installed by Sportsmobile when the van was upfitted. It is more or less opposite the center of the sliding side door, hence it is only a few feet from the driver and passenger seats. (This is why it wouldn't do much to cool the back end unless you could open the rear windows while driving, which is a no-no.) As I said, it is very low profile and makes no appreciable noise when closed, but the vent cover would be a much higher profile, which is why I am concerned about wind noise. If I put it on, I would disconnect the rain sensor as our experience with it in our last trailer convinces me that rain would not be a problem with the vent cover, short of a monsoon. FWIW, we don't have rear seats per se, but the dinette benches which double as beds in the rear have seat belts which are usually tucked under them. We have only had passengers back there once or twice for short trips, so rear cooling is not a concern.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #7

I thought Sportsmobile doesnt install fans on penthouse tops. They said it would void the warranty as well.
Bajaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #8

We don't have a penthouse top, just the standard M-B steel roof. Not all Sportsmobiles have the penthouse. Ours is a high roof Sprinter, and only 2 of us camp in it, so I couldn't see the point of the penthouse.