Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
I notice your 265's appear to be right up against a constraint on the swingarm. Not sure what that is for, but I am guessing that 285's would not fit, which would be a show-stopper for me right there.
Thanks again. Pics speak a thousand words on these things, and I really appreciate you taking the time to take and post these.

Snowy
I'm not sure what the constraint is you are referring to, unless it's the Superwinch itself when it is inserted. I will look closer when I get the chance. I think a 285 would fit, and because of your proximity to SMB I suggest you drive over and test fit your 285 on a vehicle that has the correct set up for you. Or you could take a road trip to CA and we can do it together in my backyard.....! I will be in Santa Rosa with two forum members tomorrow, we will all three look and form an opinion.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I'm not sure what the constraint is you are referring to, unless it's the Superwinch itself when it is inserted.
I assume he's talking about this:

Quote:
But that's just the Aluminess swingarm.. not an issue, the plate is adjustable, or they will build it for a 285.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #133

Wouldn't some turning blocks (and some nearby things to anchor them) allow the front winch to be used to pull the Sprinter to the rear? Certainly far simpler gear-wise than a second winch.

Both Snowy and Fitz are to be commended for the large amount of useful information about their SMB builds.
Noeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I assume he's talking about this:

But that's just the Aluminess swingarm.. not an issue, the plate is adjustable, or they will build it for a 285.

I agree. Here are two additional pictures, one from the left side, another from the right, that might provide clarity:

Old 09-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak View Post
Fitz, I've been following your build. Great job. I see you ordered the carport from Pacific Metal. I looked at that too. I first thought that it could be delivered as a drop shipment and I could construct it, but apparently their crew has to deliver and build it. I live in socal, so its quite the trip for them to deliver and set up. The company is much closer to your location, so that is a good choice. I may have to consider another option. Now that you have flint home, is the height of the carport you posted earlier still going to be sufficient?
The carport is not yet built, I will provide a picture when it finally gets done. I decided to do it "right" and get a permit, as a result I am currently serving as the intermediary between two engineers (and I make a third!) as they go back and forth in the process of resolving minor design details. We are down to one final question and I am confident we will come to resolution, but...

Here is the elevation drawing from the drawing package:

And here is an extract from a quick sketch I made when trying to resolve the height issue. I wanted to be sure the Penthouse could be raised when under the carport, thus the 10' sidewall height is what I have ordered.

In retrospect I may wish I had spent the extra $'s to stick-build it, but the installed price from Pacific Metal (just under $2k) is hard to beat so I will continue down the path and report back.

Here is Flint, patiently waiting for his new home...

Old 09-23-2016, 06:15 PM   #136
sak

Thanks Fitz. Right, cant beat it for that price. In an earlier post you decided not to go with the Fiamma awning and may go with the bus depot style. I looked at a fiamma on a van and talked to the owner who said he hated the constant rattle of it, and over time the weight of it and constant movement had started to fatigue the metal mounts. He was not a big fan. I looked at the bus depot one and don't really want to fiddle with all of the tubular pieces you have to insert. I have a small canvas shop and will probably wait and come up with my own design that will be stout and non permanent. Anyway, thanks for the info.
sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak View Post
I have a small canvas shop and will probably wait and come up with my own design that will be stout and non permanent. Anyway, thanks for the info.
When you decide, PLEASE SHARE! Stout an non permanent is EXACTLY what I am looking for!
Old 09-25-2016, 08:18 PM   #138

Quote:
I agree. Here are two additional pictures, one from the left side, another from the right, that might provide clarity:

[snip]
Does the tire actually rest on the two square tubes protruding rearward? I will look at one installed to clarify how the tire actually mounts. I had assumed the tire mounted with bolts up above that and should be suspended above those, which is why I thought it was a suspiciously tight fit. If the tire is meant to rest on those - no wonder it is tight. Then the question is how does the wheel actually bolt on?

Thanks,
Snowy
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
Does the tire actually rest on the two square tubes protruding rearward? I will look at one installed to clarify how the tire actually mounts. I had assumed the tire mounted with bolts up above that and should be suspended above those, which is why I thought it was a suspiciously tight fit. If the tire is meant to rest on those - no wonder it is tight. Then the question is how does the wheel actually bolt on?

Thanks,
Snowy
Yes, the tire sits on the two tubes. Going back through my pictures, I don't have one taken before the Trasharoo went on, thus the mounting detail is covered. There is a plate on the swing arm with two lugs that hold the tire to it. I will have to take the Trasharoo off to get a clear picture of this, but I recall that it is adjustable and I am 99% sure your larger tire will fit. The Trasharoo will come off when I find a cheap tire cover for the spare, when that happen I will take a better picture. For now, and possibly for the better, is a stock picture that I just copied off of the Aluminess website, it might show you all you need to know. As I recall, the mounting plate slides up and down, thus it should easily adjust to your larger tire size. Suggest a quick call or e-mail to Kenny at Aluminess, he is quick to respond and he will know the answer to your question.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #140

Quote:
Yes, the tire sits on the two tubes.

[snip]
Got it! Thanks! I did not realize the tire is fixed at rest on the two tubes and it is the mounting bolts that adjust vertically. Makes sense. It's back on the list of possible solutions, but the list of things that bumper solves for me is piling up much faster than the money to purchase it right now. LOL

Snowy
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade