Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2016, 10:19 PM   #161

Rotopax on Side of Deluxe Box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adstewart91 View Post
Fitz -- Loving your build and your pictures (bugs and all!) Many thanks!

Reply to #155: I've wondered if there is enough space on the side of the box (left side looking from rear of van -- opposite the "shovel side") to hang a Rotopax Universal Mounting plate to hold (2) two-gallon combos or 4 gallon packs?
See the following three pictures for reference, realize that tire size will change the dimensions, note that my spare is a BFG KO2 265-70R17.

At its closest, there is 5-7/8" clearance between the tire and the side of the box. The box (Deluxe Aluminess) is 14" deep (plus 2" for the door) x 30" tall.

This is me holding a one gallon Rotopax against the side of the box.

It looks to me like it will work. Check all of the dimensions on the various Rotopax containers being considered, in particular check the dimension of the Rotopax attachment device as it protrudes beyond the face of the container, and understand that you need to maintain access at the bottom to get to the Aluminess latches that control the swing mechanisms.

Let us know how it works out!

Old 10-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #162

Forum member Noeta asked me about clearance below the van.

I decided the best way to answer the question is thru the use of pictures, so here they are. The tape I used adds 3", don't forget to do the math!

Clearance at the front (Van Compass) skip plate:

Clearance immediately adjacent to the front wheel:

Clearance at the rear shock;

Clearance at the rear differential:

Old 10-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #163

We tried something different for window coverings that worked out well, I just thought I would share:

The standard is to either attach the rear window covering with snaps or to install a track and leave it permanently in place.

I didn't want to look at the curtain all the time, plus I didn't want any obstruction to the rear window visibility. What Austin did was to sew small magnets into the window covering all around the edges. The result is a neat and clean installation that stores out of sight and that is easily installed.

We did the same for the big window on the sliding door also, nice application.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:10 PM   #164

Thanks Fitz for your measurements. I got mine home and in the garage - my garage height and width are fine - the length was close - I've got 3-4 inches to spare. Normally I don't cut things this close - but hey it's in the garage safe and sound.
The sprinter drives incredible - cross wind assist is amazing. We are extremely happy with it. Especially coming from VW Eurovan campers where we'd be blown all over the road when a semi passed us on 2 lane highways.
The service from SMB-Texas was top notch.
It's a lot like yours - 144 low top 4x4 with a power poptop. I'm 6-2 and with the poptop open I can't touch the ceiling. I need to find some kind of ladder to access the top bunk!
Some differences between our vans are I think:
I've got a roof fan (nice too have but it lets in a bit of highway noise as I'm crusing down the road)
Stove is a 2 burner with no propane system (I just have a hose that I can connect to a little green bottle)
Water filter (in-line and easy to add after the build)
espar5 and danhard AC (I forget if you have these too)
light bar in front bumper - where thread to step up is
interior rear shower by back door
Interior shower of the sort where you step in a plastic bin and pull shower curtain up to mount on ceiling - being able to shower is very important to us. We've used it and it works well. The shower head part is the extendible sink faucet. Now I've got to find some way to hang the shower head so as to not have to hold it while showering.
Solar panels are mounted towards the front.
awning (I know I won't use it too much but it'll be handy in rainy or extreme sunny weather while camped).
There's probably other differences that I can't remember.
It's really an amazing camper! And we're very happy with it. My wife has named it the "Vista Dome" like they have on the Amtrak California Zephyr. As has been mentioned before we are eye level with semi-drivers and generally above most traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender (5).jpg  
Davidboco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:18 AM   #165
IPT

Thanks Fritz for the pics. So there is an option for a one piece bed setup or a two piece setup? Did I understand that right? Does the bed "platform" go up with the top providing the headroom, and then get lowered into place for the bed duty?

On another note, I saw you have the 3.92 gear option vs the 4.18. With the larger tires and some time out and about any thoughts regarding that? I wonder if the 4.18's and the larger tire end up bringing more back to a stock configuration. I know the diesels has a lot of torque so maybe being a tad under geared is no big deal. I've been thinking about it and thought I'd see what your perspective is now that you've had it out a few times!
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:29 AM   #166
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post

I didn't want to look at the curtain all the time, plus I didn't want any obstruction to the rear window visibility. What Austin did was to sew small magnets into the window covering all around the edges. The result is a neat and clean installation that stores out of sight and that is easily installed.

We did the same for the big window on the sliding door also, nice application.
Very nice, and much 'cleaner' looking installation.

Herb
Old 10-12-2016, 11:35 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidboco View Post

It's a lot like yours - 144 low top 4x4 with a power poptop. I'm 6-2 and with the poptop open I can't touch the ceiling. I need to find some kind of ladder to access the top bunk!
SMB has a small metal ladder to access the PH bed that they must have forgotten to offer to you, suggest you call and have them send you one. We declined it, for us the way up is one step on the small stool we have, then to the counter above the refrigerator, then up and into the bunk. Easy!
Old 10-12-2016, 11:49 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Thanks Fitz for the pics. So there is an option for a one piece bed setup or a two piece setup? Did I understand that right? Does the bed "platform" go up with the top providing the headroom, and then get lowered into place for the bed duty?

On another note, I saw you have the 3.92 gear option vs the 4.18. With the larger tires and some time out and about any thoughts regarding that? I wonder if the 4.18's and the larger tire end up bringing more back to a stock configuration. I know the diesels has a lot of torque so maybe being a tad under geared is no big deal. I've been thinking about it and thought I'd see what your perspective is now that you've had it out a few times!
Regarding the PH bed, yes, one vs. two piece is an option. I even saw a three piece in Fresno, the owner was tall so they added a third piece that was about a foot long.

You can see the difference in the pictures in #158 above. The bed with the wood on the underside is a one piece in the down position, the one with white on the underside is a two piece with one section left in the down position above the couch and with the second piece in the raised position. I have the one piece and it all attaches to the roof and goes up and out of the way when the PH is up and the bed is not needed.

Regarding the gearing, so far no regrets and very happy with the existing set up. For anyone who knows the Cuesta Grade heading north on 101 out of San Luis Obispo CA, I set the cruise control on 60 and the van walked right up the grade, holding speed all the way with plenty to spare. I might haul a small utility trailer once in a while, but no plans for anything big and heavy thus no need for the 4.18.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #169

Nice build and info from all. The info and opinions are invaluable in helping me plan out my next Sprinter build, so thank you for sharing.

@Davidboco I currently have a Sprinter Sportsmobile with Penthouse and have the ladder for that and it's for sale. Let me know if you are interested in it.
Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #170

Thanks - SMB Texas is sending me a ladder as included in the price
Just wondering - what do people use to insulate dishes, etc from rattling and making noise. The van itself is pretty tight but everything else rattles quite a bit.
Davidboco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade