Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #191

OBD2 Scanner

I decided that I wanted a OBD2 Scanner that would work with my iPhone. After looking around I decided on the Lemur BlueDriver. https://www.lemurmonitors.com/

The sensor plugs into the existing under-dash OBD2 plug. On the Sprinter, look in the driver's foot well, left side, behind the fuse box cover.

You can just see it installed in the upper left corner of the fuse box, here is a close-up:

I haven't used it enough to report back on functionality, but so far all looks good. I know it is lacking some of the advanced features, here is what I got back from my inquiry to technical support:

Your Sprinter will support engine and emissions diagnostics (anything that turns on the check engine light), but will not currently support enhanced diagnostics such as ABS or SRS.

If the van throws a code this will let me read and clear it, that's my biggest concern for now. I do believe Lemur will eventually add the code to bring in the enhanced diagnostics, but that's not a big deal to me at this time.

The sensor unit can be left plugged in while driving, the only downside to that is that the fuse box door must be open in order to plug in the sensor. Or it's a simple matter to pop the fuse box door off and get it out of the way.

There is a large list of items that can be monitored, here is a screen shot of a selection of 6 out of the many options:

Old 11-20-2016, 04:17 PM   #192

Porta Potti

I have had several question asked about stowing the Porta Potti, here are some pictures to show how it is handled in our case.

When not in use, the Porta Potti is conveniently stored in the cabinet under the microwave. Note that this is a 150 layout, thus there is plenty of room in front of the cabinet.

Here it is with the cabinet door open and the cover in place. The purpose of the cover is to make the Porta Potti a bit less obvious if you choose to leave it out (SMB suggested using it as a footstool or additional seat with the cover in place), but for us it is either in the cabinet or pulled out at night, thus the cover serves little purpose. Also, note the cord stretched across the front. Between this and being contained within the closed cabinet there has never been an issue with movement, no matter how much we have bounced the van around.

The Porta Potti is heavy when it is full of water, to help with moving it around I added self adhesive carpet sliders on the underside. Make sure to get sliders that are thick enough to clear the lip that runs around the bottom of the unit and this will greatly reduce the force required to move the unit around.

And finally, here is where it sits, directly behind the passengers seat. It's easy to slide in and out, it's easy to pick up to take to dump, it's simple to use. For us, this is a much better solution than dedicating the space for a fixed toilet and black water tank, plus the added requirement to drive the van to a dump station vs. just taking the Porta Potti holding tank to a convenient location to dump. No one looks twice at me when I carry it into the restroom at a rest stop, campground, or etc., and if they do, so what!

Old 11-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #193

USB Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I pulled one out this evening and couldn't find a manufacturer's name or model anywhere, only that it complied with "SAEJ1171 & is USCG IGNITION PROTECTED".

I want to replace the standard MB 12 volt plug located in the front of the van with one of these so I did an internet search. Maybe found one without an indicator light, not sure, so I sent Brian at SMB Texas a note asking for make and model. Will report back when I know.
Reference posts 186 & 187 above

Clark,

I haven't been very successful in finding the no-indicator-light USB plugs that SMB installed as part of my build. I want to replace one of the standard cigarette-lighter plugs that is in the front of the van and Brian from SMB Austin sent me one to do it with (thanks Brian), but there isn't a manufacturer's mark or logo anywhere to be found on it.

In searching I did find a short-profile USB plug manufactured by Griffin that I will use in my other vehicles. https://griffintechnology.com/intl/p...niversal-micro
This particular unit has no indicator light and is short enough that it almost inserts flush with a standard outlet. In my searches I found a couple of manufactures who advertised what I was looking for, but when I opened the package I discovered that they had simply inserted this short-profile adapter into a standard bulkhead cigarette-style plug. Another lesson in truth-in-advertising and the use of stock file photos vs. actual photos of the product.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:38 AM   #194

Probably not the one's SMB uses, but you can find the Blue Sea 1045 at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...=blue+sea+1045

The 1045 does not have a indicator.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #195

Scalf77,

Thanks! Another forum knowledge share!
Old 11-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
OBD2 Scanner

The sensor unit can be left plugged in while driving, the only downside to that is that the fuse box door must be open in order to plug in the sensor. Or it's a simple matter to pop the fuse box door off and get it out of the way.
Is it possible to snake a dongle out to attach the BT sensor?

(Very cool capability! Thanks for continuing to share!)
adstewart91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Probably not the one's SMB uses, but you can find the Blue Sea 1045 at Amazon. The 1045 does not have a indicator.
According to the Blue Sea website that 1045 socket charger has only 1mA parasitic power draw, which is a small fraction of most USB charger standby losses. Sounds like the perfect unit for off-grid use!
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #198

Ultra Low Profile OBD2 Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adstewart91 View Post
Is it possible to snake a dongle out to attach the BT sensor?

(Very cool capability! Thanks for continuing to share!)
Mercedes didn't leave much room under the fuse box cover to work with, but we will see....

Here is the OBD2 port with the cover in place.

Here it is with the cover snapped off and hanging to the side.

And here it is with the BlueDriver sending unit plugged in.

Note that the cover when open hangs below the inset that the fuse box cover recesses into, seen off to the side.

I like your idea, a few minutes on Amazon turned up this ultra-low profile OBD2 splitter cable.

Once it arrives I'll take off the OBD2 plug cover and see if I can get the splitter to fit in the plug with the fuse box cover closed. I'll post status once I know.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:09 PM   #199

Because of three shift workers in the family, Thanksgiving was on Saturday for us. Not wanting to loose an opportunity for a road trip, Flint took Laura and I to Yosemite Thursday and Friday for some CA "cold" weather camping.

28 degrees outside, and the van was perfectly comfortable at night. The van was built with the additional extreme insulation option, we had the PH top down and slept below, the D5 was set on 60 degrees, and with the privacy curtain closed up front and with insulated window coverings on all five windows we slept warm with nothing but a cotton sleeping bag on us. Stealth camping in the Camp Curry parking lot after a great Thanksgiving dinner at the Ahwahnee/Majestic Yosemite Hotel, it doesn't get much better than that!

Flint with North Dome in the background.

Flint with Yosemite Falls in the background.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:47 AM   #200

Thanks! Ordered one. Hope it is not backlit in the outlets. Well see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Probably not the one's SMB uses, but you can find the Blue Sea
1045 at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...=blue+sea+1045

The 1045 does not have a indicator.
clark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade