Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2016, 12:03 AM   #201

Hey Fitz,

Thanks for taking the time to document your process so well in this thread. Looking through it seems like we have been on some similar paths. I'm also a geologist in the SF Area and below is a pic of my New Sprinter in Yosemite last month. A 2016 4x4 I picked up in May, and SMB Fresno installed a penthouse in July. Perhaps I'll see you around.

David
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Beached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:46 AM   #202

David,

Thanks for your comments regarding the thread. I keep thinking I'm done and then something else comes up and so on I go....the thread seems to have a life of its own! I will have several new things to add in the coming months (as my spare time to work on projects becomes available), will be sure to continue the documentation as there has been a lot of positive feedback. The forum is for sharing and I will continue to do so.

I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum! Sent you a PM, look for the notice and quick link in the upper right hand corner of the home page.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #203

OBD2 Splitter for BlueDriver Scanner

Reference posts 191, 196 & 198 above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post

Once it arrives I'll take off the OBD2 plug cover and see if I can get the splitter to fit in the plug with the fuse box cover closed. I'll post status once I know.
I installed the splitter cable shown above, works like a charm!

Here it is plugged in, it is in the upper left hand corner.

Here is where I placed the BlueDriver sender, just above the fuse box under the dash, easy to access and tied up out of the way.

And here is where the additional port from the splitter resides, easy to access by opening the fuse box cover. I wanted it visible and accessible adjacent to the original plug so it will be easily found in the future.

The fuse box cover fits as originally intended and the scanner works with my iPhone. Thanks for the suggestion adstewart91!
Old 12-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #204

How about calling it a Mini-Meet-Up!

What do you call soon-to-be SMB Sprinter owners who have deposits down, build dates (tentatively - it all depends on MB delivery dates...) scheduled, and who are learning all about the patience required to get their new SMB? I'll go with Future SMB'ers until someone comes up with a better name!

Today Laura and I met with velo47 (Albuquerque NM), Mer1039 (Danville CA) and michaelf (Santa Rosa CA) and we went through Flint top to bottom, inside and out. It was a great time with like-minded people all doing something we enjoyed. Here is the group:

Flint is in our possession and we are loving it (just under 6,000 miles in 3 months with me still working full time and with Laura doing a great job of planning future trips), all of the others in the group are waiting for their van deliveries and then their builds, one in Austin and two in Fresno.

You all can imagine what we did. We talked about options, placement, likes & dislikes, what works best and what doesn't, etc., etc., etc. In other words, all things SMB, and a great way to spend an afternoon!

Thanks to everyone for coming by. (Beached, sorry we didn't quite hook up in time, but there will be other opportunities. I sent you a PM, if nothing else ask Angela Liang Cutting or Sabrina Ma how to get in touch with me.) It was (hopefully) time well spent for the others, definitely so for Laura and I!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #205

Garage
Thanks to the Fitzs for all their hospitality! It was great to get to really examine a SMB that is very much like what we want, and to talk to others about the details. We had a great time and met some very nice people.
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:19 AM   #206

Looks great! Glad I could contribute to this great thread!
adstewart91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #207

Front table for the 50 layout.

Spare time has been a bit rare lately, thus this project had to wait its turn. Back when we were trying to decide on which way to go (imagine that, considering something other than a SMB!) we looked at Four Wheel Pop-Up Campers and one thing that struck me about their build was the small table they utilized. I liked it so much that I went back to the factory (in Woodland CA, about 50 miles from here) late one Friday afternoon and talked the parts guy in the back into selling me the assembly, not knowing at the time if I could use it or not. I have been chipping away at it since then, this weekend finally allowed me enough time to put it all together. Here it is in pictures, we will give it the true test as we travel with it, in the meantime I'd appreciate your comments on what you think of it!

Starting from the bottom, here is the base I attached to the passenger's seat base. There are several opposing angles to deal with here, this is the adjustable assembly I came up with.

Here is the extension I had to make, thanks to my friend Lars. I tend to lean towards woodworking tools, having a friend with a mill and a lathe in his garage is a really good thing. Note that there is plenty of vertical adjustment the way this is configured.

And here it is with the base fully inserted. As you can see, there is plenty of movement allowed for in this design, thus there are lots of options for final table placement.

This picture shows the entire assembly from the underside with the table top inserted.

And here it is looking straight-on, with the top in what I expect to be the normal height, about even with the counter top.

Note that the extension post can be removed, thus allowing the table top to be configured in a lower position, this might be a good position when the day is done and one is looking for a convenient place to set a drink down...

This will most likely be one of the most common positions, set to add additional counter space or to put a meal on.

And this may be one of the more useful positions, imagine me in the seat with my laptop on the table top "working remotely"! (This configuration may be the cause for a cell phone booster in the future...)

The table top can also be configured to fit between the seats with both in the forward facing position. Here are two shots with this view. I can see where this could be handy with maps spread out, I can also see where this could be in the way because it blocks access to the back.

And when not in use? The vertical extension can ride here in the bracket.

or it can go back here behind the drivers seat with the rest of the components. Note the small bungee cord wrapped around the post and attached to the front tie-down D-ring.

Either way, all stores out of the way and is easily accessible whenever needed. We have a couple of trips planned in the next couple of months, they will give us the experience to know just how useful of an addition this may prove to be.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #208

^ Nice work Tim.
And thanks again for all the time, info and suggestions. Really helping me nail down certain aspects of our build.
michaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #209

That table setup is very slick!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Front table for the 50 layout.

...we looked at Four Wheel Pop-Up Campers and one thing that struck me about their build was the small table they utilized. I liked it so much that I went back to the factory and talked the parts guy into selling me the assembly...
That looks great. Reminds me of the swivel table mount in our old VW Westfalia - incredibly useful and easy to swing out of the way.

SMB should offer that type of swing table assembly from the factory!
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade