Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 08:27 AM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My van is set up for the second alternator so that is an option down the road. I like the flexibility it affords but the location down low on the engine is a bit of a put off. We got into some serious rain this past week and found ourselves in about a foot of water with no option but to drive through it - not a problem with the single alternator but I have to wonder how the second alternator mounted down low would have fared with all of the water splash it would have been subjected to.

All in all, I really like the options that are available and the final solutions we all find for our particular needs. The small amount of high speed idling we will do will be more than offset with plenty of time at speed, for me an acceptable compromise. I thought I would be packing our Honda 2000 generator all around with us, but at this point I see it as an optional accessory that will only be brought along on an as-needed basis.

I was impressed with both the Delco Remy High output alternator and, even more, with the dynamic torque converter that ARV is featuring here:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ter-17394.html

Neither are cheap and the Delco is certainly bigger than the Nations, but it does not run as "hot" as the Nations and is pretty beefy. I have no experience with either -- but came across them in my search -- just sharing.

Direct links also here:

Medium & Heavy Duty Alternators | Delco Remy

https://youtu.be/XANYxoEF_HY

adstewart91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:38 PM   #262

Update to Replacing Factory Fog Lights

Quote:
The above is from #32 in the string of previous posts.

As I said back then, "I won't know for sure until I do it."

I hooked up the new fog lights yesterday and I'm pleased to report that the Hella 500 halogen lights are a direct change out for the factory halogen fog lights and that wiring them directly in place of the originals results in lights that work with no fault alarms.
The above is from post #144.

When I installed the front Aluminess bumper I had to replace the factory fog lights with something with an equivalent bulb in order to keep from triggering a fault code. The Hella 500's I installed have a 50 w halogen bulb and they work fine. Keep reading for another option:

Evan House from Backwoods Bumpers told me the following in a recent e-mail: "The round LED lights we use are 42w lights. They usually throw the fault code, but I recently found some resistors rated at 12w that solve the issue. They're available on line for about $20. http://www.xenondepot.com/11ohm-21W-resistor-p/rfix-xd11.htm I'm familiar with the Hella 500s. We would probably switch to a 6" pocket from a 5" pocket to better accommodate the size."

Were I to do this again, I would look into installing LED fog lights up front and utilize the resistor that Evan references above. If one of you tries it, please let us all know how it works out!
Old 01-31-2017, 05:10 AM   #263

I was the test subject for the 42w LEDs in a Backwoods Front Bumper. Until I installed the Xenon resistors I had a fault code when the fogs were on. No more fault after install. Man those things are blinding.
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:47 AM   #264

Really good to know, thanks for sharing. Blinding is not the word I would use to describe the halogens I have. What diameter of light pocket did they use for the lights?
Old 01-31-2017, 06:53 AM   #265

5" round LED
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #266

Aluminess Deluxe Box Modifications

Settling into the van, a few additions to make life better.

First, when your wife is a Geologist you discover that she has her "favorite" shovel, that she feels the need to have two of them, and that they must go everywhere with her. No problem, call Aluminess and order just the bracket for the Expedition Kit, install the shovels, and remember the old, and true, saying - Happy wife, happy life!

Second, the shore power electrical cord. Big enough to handle 30 Amps, this is a heavy cord that needs to go everywhere with you. I don't use it much when we are out on the road, but it is always with us. I got tired of tossing it in on top of everything else in the box, thus another call to Aluminess to order a second shelf. I installed it above the original shelf, set down just enough to allow the big 30 Amp plug to fit. Works great and really helps organize things.

And finally, and with a great big THANK YOU to forum member 1der, the Deluxe Box Shelf that he came up with. This is simple, well-made and a great addition, see for yourself:

Here is the shelf in the upright position, installed on the inside of the door of the Deluxe Box:

And here it is in the down position, ready for use. The shelf measures 19" wide x 11" deep:

The shelf can be used for all sorts of things, my design case is to put my Partner Stove here. How good is this?

Old 02-05-2017, 10:57 PM   #267
PvT

My made to order van is just about ready for me to send you a cheque for it.

~Peter
PvT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:37 AM   #268

Pvt,

After 35+ years of marriage, there aren't many things that would cause Laura to mutiny. However, I am confident that selling Flint is one of those things that would push her over the edge. Proposing a trip in Flint without her might be another...

There isn't a trip we return from that as we are driving in the back gate Laura doesn't turn to me and say "when can you get off next"? I provide the block of time and she plans the trips, it works really, really well for us!
Old 02-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #269
PvT

Thank you Fitz,

Yes I bet! This thread not only is a great archive and resource for another's build how to, it also now includes sound relationship advice.

Cheers to you both and to many many more great adventures together in Flint.

Peter
PvT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #270

Garage
Quote:
Aluminess Deluxe Box Modifications

Settling into the van, a few additions to make life better.

First, when your wife is a Geologist you discover that she has her "favorite" shovel, that she feels the need to have two of them, and that they must go everywhere with her. No problem, call Aluminess and order just the bracket for the Expedition Kit, install the shovels, and remember the old, and true, saying - Happy wife, happy life!

Second, the shore power electrical cord. Big enough to handle 30 Amps, this is a heavy cord that needs to go everywhere with you. I don't use it much when we are out on the road, but it is always with us. I got tired of tossing it in on top of everything else in the box, thus another call to Aluminess to order a second shelf. I installed it above the original shelf, set down just enough to allow the big 30 Amp plug to fit. Works great and really helps organize things.

And finally, and with a great big THANK YOU to forum member 1der, the Deluxe Box Shelf that he came up with. This is simple, well-made and a great addition, see for yourself:

Here is the shelf in the upright position, installed on the inside of the door of the Deluxe Box:

And here it is in the down position, ready for use. The shelf measures 19" wide x 11" deep:

The shelf can be used for all sorts of things, my design case is to put my Partner Stove here. How good is this?

G'day Ftz.

I like your rear Aluminess storage box foldout bench. My eb50 08 Ford SMB has side door cabinet, but I also have 22" Cook Partner 4 burner stove with wind sheild. How much was extra shelf & foldout bench for Aluminess box? I like both. Great pictures & posts.

Cheers Doug,
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade