Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #431

Wrinkledpants,

A snorkel doesn't interest me, but I plan to pull the front grille off at the next opportunity and get a close look at the air intake. I will report back on what I find and any modifications I make.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #432

Seems like a mouse nest. They can crawl into that air box quite easily from the the intake in front of the radiator. Easy to climb up the radiator grille, but I wonder how they got up onto the bumper or undercarriage. Must of used a bush that was under or along the side the van to climb onto the undercarriage or front of the bumper and than an easy climb into the nice warm air box.
Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #433

kcshoots,

The only path up that I can see is via the shore power cord that lays on the ground and then goes up the side of the van. That gets a mouse on the rocker guard, then possibly to the front driver's side tire and up from there. The cord will get relocated overhead as one of the first orders of business!
Old 08-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #434

I've had them get into my tractor engine compartment and build nests. They love to chew the insulation off electrical wires. They can cause an entire wiring harness to need replacement. Do whatever it takes to get rid of them. You could wrap Flint in plastic and fill with nitrogen or CO2 for a couple of days to suffocate them. After it airs out, nothing toxic would be left.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:47 AM   #435

Like your ARB air compressor and ARB Bushranger X Jack along with Hi Lift jack. All great ideas. I believe we will do the same as we'll be on a lot of logging roads that are in dubious condition.

Did SMB have any issues installing your air compressor and outlet?
Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #436

Backcountryguy,

One option from MB is a second engine battery, this sits in the engine compartment right in front of the driver. Without the 2nd battery this makes for a logical location for the air compressor and this is where it is installed. SMB Austin made a simple metal bracket to mount the compressor on and it sits very nicely here. From here they ran a hose to the rear of the van and installed the air connection directly behind the driver's side rear wheel, I went back and added a tee and a second connection directly on top of the compressor. It makes for a nice installation and places the compressor in a protected location. Pictures can be found earlier in this build thread or in my album, if you don't see what you need just ask and I will provide.

Not a down side to me, but possibly to others, is that this location prevents the installation of a snorkel. Give this some thought if there is a snorkel in your future.

I am finalizing the details of the mounting location for the Hi Lift jack, I will post up details once that little project is complete.

Regarding these items, I want to repeat what I said previously in a different thread in a response regarding your bumper question. I am making these and other additions because I want to be able to help myself when needed, not to encourage myself to get into situations where I have no business being. The Sprinter is very capable and we love it, but it is what it is and understanding its limitations is key to success.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #437

Thanks

Great tread! I just read the entire thing - currently planning for a Sprinter 4X4. Thanks for all the info.
dgetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #438

dgetty,

Welcome to the forum!
Glad you enjoyed the thread and that you were able to put up with my ramblings.
One thing that I have learned, at least for me, is that the the build is nowhere near complete the day you drive off the lot!
Keep us all updated on your plans, we all want to follow along!
Old 08-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #439

dgetty, Welcome!
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:36 PM   #440

Fitz,

I'm completely in agreement on use of the WARN winch and also use of the added tire change equipment incorporated. For us, the tire change equipment you have researched so well is piece of mind on beat up old logging roads. In no way shape or form does the Sprinter 4X4 equate to my 4Runner TRD Pro offroad capabilities, which has crawl control and kevlar reinforced tires as well as a design which specifically addresses more extreme conditions. The Sprinter does not, the 4X4 for us is merely a way to get up some of our favorite logging roads to more remote campsites, and to get through snow in a more confident manner.

The main reason we'll have the WARN winch on the Aluminess bumper is for snow covered logging roads in the winter. This is actually light use in case the vehicle needs an extra "bump" to get it going in the snow. Even then I will be conservative and won't go up some locations I currently take my 4Runner. I also am planning on a set of purely winter use studded snow tires as well, mostly for the ski areas we go to.
Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade