Old 11-20-2017, 09:10 AM   #481

Shore Power Connection

When Flint is parked at home he is plugged into a 15 Amp shore power plug to keep the house battery topped off.

When we travel I always disconnect the heavy SMB supplied 30 Amp cord and 30 Amp to 15 Amp adapter, roll them up and put them in the Aluminess box on the back. We seldom use these when traveling, but I always take them with us in the off-chance we find ourselves in a campground with 30 Amps of power available. If that is the case we will use the 30 Amps to power the electric option on the D5 heater.

Early on we blew the fuse that supplies power from the alternator to the house battery and we found ourselves driving in from the desert each night to a KOA where we could connect to shore power and charge the house battery. I carry spares for that fuse now, but I determined then that I would always carry the cord and adapter with me so we would have all connection options available to us.

I got tired of the repetitive task of rolling up the cord and packing it and then reversing the process each time we use Flint, thus I looked around for a better option that would allow me to leave the 30 Amp cord and adapter in the Aluminess box on the back of Flint.

Here is the simple solution, a Furrion Powersmart Pigtail Adapter, model FP3015-SS. It is a 30 Amp Locking Female Connector to 15 Amp Straight Blade Male Plug, thus it allows for a simple direct connection to the 15 Amp cord I ran over to where Flint is parked. When we go somewhere we simply disconnect and leave the plug behind, ready for our return.

As modifications go this isn't much, but I am sure I will appreciate it every time in the future when I don't have to roll up that wet 30 Amp cord and stuff it in the Aluminess box!

Old 11-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #482

We use a similar product at home and carry it with us when we travel. We have used it for driveway camping at a relative's home with their heavy duty extension cord to a 20 Amp outlet.

JJSporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:47 AM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
...SNIP...

...you could also cut off that three-way splitter and install a L5-30R. As long as that extension cord is 12AWG or bigger, install a L5-30R and connect it directly to the van. Think of it as a your own 15-30A RV adapted that is 25-50' long...Here is a L5-30R from Leviton on Amazon...

But at a min, I'd suggested putting a 'drip loop' in that cable prior to the 5-15 connection and/or the TwistLock connection. This will help reduce the corrosion and eventual overheating/failure. While I know the van is covered, moisture will find a way to wick along that cable. Also, think about an all weather style connection for the NEMA 5-15 if you're going to leave it plugged in all the time.

As a side note: most 3-way splitters and inexpensive molded extension cords have terrible clamping force and will loosen with time. If your charger is setup for a 20A circuit (max pull of 16A), check that connection for heat - if overly warm/hot, cut and replace with a decent connector from Hubbel/Leviton/Marinco. Skip the no-name inexpensive replacement receptacles - these are no better than the cheapy molded cords. (Ask me how many BRAND NEW 'contractor grade' cords I've burned up using electric jackhammers...). Folks have unrealistic expectations WRTO electrical connections and play town crier when cords 'mysteriously' fail/melt when exposed to weather, abuse, or use crappy cords.

Here is one concept from HD...No idea what the seals are like, but you get the idea.

If the connection is basically 'permanent', wrap the 5-15 connection with mastic or rubber tape designed as a moisture guard.

Here is what I did:

The 30A connection on my rig is a NEMA L5-30. When I first brought the van home, I used a 10AWG Rigid Extension 'contractor grade' cord from Home Depot and replaced the receptacle end end with a Hubbel L5-30R. As expected, it didn't last long being trampled on a gravel driveway and split in several spots. (I paid around $15 per Hubbel connector - they are $30 at HD/electrical supply house.) I've since replaced that 'contractor grade' cable with a 600V SOOW SO cable (thick jacket) that is UV, OIL & Water resistant. It should last for as long as I own the van (years). I also installed a 30A breaker & twistlock receptacle with lighted switch. (For those that are interested for better than code installations, YES it is possible to install a single pole 30A GFCI breaker - these can be sourced from an electrical supply house).
VtSoundman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:03 PM   #484

There is a lot of good information in the above post.

In my case I have not decided if I want to run permanent (underground) power to Flint's parking spot, thus I am currently utilizing the closest exterior receptacle on the house. I have a left-over-from-my-years-in-construction heavy duty 600V SO extension cord that runs to the carport, it is here that a compromise was made in the spirit of "happy wife, happy life". Instead of hard-wiring a twist lock connection directly to the cord that would plug directly into Flint, I was "encouraged" to provide a place for Laura's leaf blower to be plugged in. Looking at the connection you see in the following picture you will see that Mike and I think alike:

From here the cord runs overhead to the underside of the carport, where it hangs in a convenient location protected from the weather, readily accessible anytime Laura wants to use it.

Replace a cord/connector years down the road or give your wife something she asks for the day she asks for it? What would you choose?
Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
...a compromise was made in the spirit of "happy wife, happy life"....

Replace a cord/connector years down the road or give your wife something she asks for the day she asks for it? What would you choose?
Now that's a damned smart man.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade