Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 11:42 PM   #511

Jflo,

This is great information for us, as we have parktronic and are thinking about a Aluminess rear bumper. FYI on that, Kenny @ Aluminess tells me the parktronic rear sensors are definitely not usable with their bumper, all other sensors are.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:10 AM   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryguy View Post
Jflo,

This is great information for us, as we have parktronic and are thinking about a Aluminess rear bumper. FYI on that, Kenny @ Aluminess tells me the parktronic rear sensors are definitely not usable with their bumper, all other sensors are.
I plan to contact Kenny Monday. You can get both L & R swing gates independently of the bumper and of each other. I wonder if having only a tire carrying swing gate on the driver side would interfere with the sonar. If not, I'll also consider a shallower than normal box for the passenger side (length in the driveway and HOA rules are a problem).
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:43 AM   #513

TomH,

I took a look at that and according to the sensor pics I can find they would both (tire & box mounts) still interfere with the parktronic.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
JFlo,

Is that a Van Compass rear step I see in the last picture? Nice addition.

If you are willing to do an experiment, I wonder how the system operates with the rear sensors covered, as with a piece of tape, to replicate having them obscured/removed with an Aluminess rear bumper with box and spare tire.

Does it throw an error code or ???? Do the front sensors still work when the rear ones are obscured? Inquiring minds want to know!
Yes. The VC rear step is great.

I conducted your experiment. With rear sensors blocked using a 2x4, when the vehicle is put in reverse an audible alarm sounds and warning lights in the side mirrors illuminate. The audible alarm stops but the warning lights stay illuminated. The front sensors function normally indicating any obstruction in front of the vehicle. No error codes.

https://youtu.be/CILQ6WNLHkg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #515

JFlo,

Thank you for running the test. Attaching the video was a nice touch!

So I guess the question for those trying to make this decision is this: If Aluminess installs their rear bumper with swing arms and etc., what do they do with the sensors? We have learned that the front sensors still work and no fault code is generated when the back ones are obscured, what happens if they are removed (assuming that removal is what Aluminess does)?

Anybody know the answer?
Old 02-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #516

"what happens if they are removed... Anybody know the answer?"

I don't have the exact answer as I was unable to locate the connector to disconnect the rear sensor harness. However, I was able to disconnect the front sensors. When I did that and put the van in reverse or drive, 4 red lights illuminated on the Parktronic display, 2 in each side mirror, and an slightly more ominous audible alarm sounded briefly. When I drove forward all lights eventually extinguished. It seems that if the front harness is disconnected, it affects the entire Parktronic system. No error codes were thrown other than the lights and alarm. My conjecture would be that a disconnected rear sensor harness would do the same.
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
No, the question was genuine. I was wondering if there are times you take the canoe on a longer trip and leave it up top if stopped in a location for a bit and there is no water on which to use it. In those conditions, do you get partial charging or does having some of the cells blocked prevent current completely?

You've said you don't camp in the rig. I guess that means you only stop for the night and don't sit still in a place for more than one night. Would I be guessing correctly that you only take the canoe on shorter trips where you go to one main water destination and return home? Or have you gone on multi-destination loop routes when you use the canoe on some days and not others?

Just curious because I will have an Aluminess rack on top with AC, MaxFan, Yakima/Thule box, and 2 solar panels. What I'm wondering about is whether a shadow from the box onto a panel will impede current from flowing. We're north of the 45th parallel up hare and get a lower angle of sunlight and thus more shadow. I shouldn't spend money on so much stuff up top if an overly crowded layout prevents power from getting generated and sent to the controller. That's why I was wondering what effect you might have noticed is from a shadow on the panel from your canoe on the panel.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom,

I tried to answer your question in another thread Solar Panels and Shading

Hope it helps, let me know if you have any more questions
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Tom,

I tried to answer your question in another thread Solar Panels and Shading

Hope it helps, let me know if you have any more questions
Scalf77,

Great information, thanks for posting!

For those of you looking for the Solar Shading info, it has now been made a Sticky in the Electrical and Electronics section:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ing-21140.html
Old 02-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #519

Catching Up on the To-Do List

Back on 10/22/2016 I said the following in Post 177:

1. I am looking into adding the Battery Monitor Kit (ME-BMK) as an addition to the Magnum Inverter/Charger. For those of you in the build process, I suggest you look at including this simple addition.
2. I picked up a surge tank to add to the water system, but haven’t gotten around to installing it yet. I have had these in RV’s in the past and they do a good job of keeping the water pump from running constantly. This is another addition I would suggest for those of you in the build process, I will add mine as time allows.

Some 15 months later I am pleased to report that both items have been completed! (That says something about what using the van does to getting lower priority items done on the van...)

The additional Battery Monitor Kit isn't much to see tucked away under the seat adjacent to the inverter, but it does add reporting functionality that I am glad to have.

The Surge Tank/Accumulator is a typical component found in every water well system I have ever had. The SHURflo pump says it is not needed, but SHURflo sells the accumulator with this text prominently displayed on the front of the box:

Pre-pressurized with a built-in diaphragm, the SHURflo accumulator smoothes water faucet pulses and reduces pump cycling to keep line pressure up and pump motors cool.

Here is a picture of the accumulator and the box it comes in:

And here is a picture of the final installation. In my 150S model I found an easy installation location in front of the passenger side wheel well under the bottom closet shelf, the same location where the Rixen Comfort Hot storage tank is located. You can just see a corner of the Rixen tank in the foreground of the picture.

We typically leave the water pump switch on when we are using the van. After 16 months of use I noticed the water pump was beginning to cycle with a very short BRRRRP every 30 minutes or so, an indication that the system is loosing pressure ever so slowly. This reminded me of the accumulator sitting on my workbench and prompted me to action. I am pleased to report that it is working as anticipated. (And yes, I do realize that the water supply valve is closed in the picture above...!)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:09 AM   #520

Tim,

Good stuff as always!

Added the shurflo accumulator to my build list. Have one on my boat, makes a big difference.

I'm going to wait and see what the final lithionics profiles look like before adding another battery monitor. I'd prefer to use the lithionics monitor.

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade