Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
We ran it when we wanted it and ignored it the rest of the time. In hindsight, I blew it. Common sense tells me the unit should carbon up the way we used it, and it did. In the future, I will always default to running it more, not less. Just like our engines are high speed diesels that don’t like long periods of idling, the D5 wants to be run at capacity in order to keep the system clean.

As to the supplemental fuel filter, I don’t see the need. I do not believe it would have helped in my use case as I don’t believe it gets to the root of the problem which was simply not firing the unit hard enough to keep it clean.
Gotcha...glad you were able to chase it down. I'm headed down this path with my motor (unfortunately - lots of short hard trips) until our house project is done....

VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:28 PM   #532

Fitz, really thorough information, thanks much. I've cut/pasted this into a word document for my manual/maintenance binder I'll have for Linus (or van's name). Also saved your attachment.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:41 AM   #533

This is the best Espar Maintenance video I have found for the D2 heaters (D5's probably are similiar). I have decided to just take it apart and replace the atomizer screen and the fuel filter yearly and do this basic cleaning. It is also an excellent idea to run it hot as much as possible. The D2 is also probably sized better for a small van as it usually needs to run higher to heat the van.

jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #534

jrobe,

Thanks for posting the link. It got me to looking around, here is another link showing the D5 being serviced:

Old 02-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #535

And because pictures are always helpful, here is a shot of the D5 in place on Flint. The air intake and the exhaust are the two lines at the bottom:

And here is what it looked like with the D5 pulled and sent to Rixen Enterprises for servicing. Note that the two coolant lines are temporarily connected. In this configuration the system can be filled with coolant and the electric element is available to provide heat (as long as shore power or a generator is available).

Old 03-04-2018, 10:52 PM   #536

Smile Rear Sumo Springs

I'm about to add a little weight on a temporary/intermittent basis to the rear of Flint, 200 pounds hanging off the rear receiver.

I had seen rear Sumo Springs advertised on the Van Compass website so I contacted Mark to discuss their application. The main point of his reply: We had some custom made rear sumo springs for (heavy) vans like yours. I think they would be a good addition to your van as well. They are made with a softer density foam than normal. This provides a slight ramp in spring rate as you go into the compression zone of the wheel travel, but they are not harsh.

What the heck, another opportunity to spend money on Flint! That's what we do, isn't it?

Here's a picture of the stock rear bump stop configuration. There is just over 3" of clearance, keep in mind when looking at this that Flint has had the Van Compass suspension upgrade to get back to this much clearance vs. the stock suspension loaded with with the full weight of the build. Details of that modification are found earlier in this build thread.

In this modification the upper rubber piece is removed and is replaced with the longer Sumo Spring. Here is a picture of the new and the old side-by-side:

And here is what it looks like with the new Sumo Spring installed. The clearance you can see measures just a bit over 1".

We haven't taken the van off road with the new Sumo's yet, but we have put just under 500 highway miles on it since the installation. I have found Mark's description above to be accurate and I like the addition. I have not yet added the additional weight off the rear receiver, when I do that I will be curious to see how the Sumo's perform. I am anticipating good things.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #537

Fitz, I am guessing this is for hauling rocks back from Quartzite. Have you considered towing a small trailer?
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #538

Interesting. I went a slightly different route on the Sumos. My rears are the SSR-327-40-2 which are a two piece unit. I had to modify the lower bracket to accommodate the VC tuned Fox shocks. I agree the combo does great things for stability.

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-Demo-Sup...-327-40-2.aspx

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #539

JFlo,

I would love to get the two vans side-by-side to see if there is much difference between the two approaches. Yours looks to be the harder install. I'm with you, the Sumo's make for a more stable ride and really help with that back-and-forth sway that comes with a load and the stock suspension.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #540

1974 Honda CT70 Mini Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Fitz, I am guessing this is for hauling rocks back from Quartzite. Have you considered towing a small trailer?
Tom,

Good guess, but I have a small utility trailer for that application. It tows great and you hardly notice it back there. And by the way, 200 pounds of rocks? Add a zero to that and you will be closer. Laura likes her rocks!

Here is what I have in mind. The bike is 155 pounds, I have designed for 200 pounds with all it will take. I am assembling the components now and hope to test fit it all together in the next month or so.

I wanted to take this to Quartzite with us when we went this past January and I couldn't get it all together in time. We have an Oregon trip planned for June and I want it with us, so I'm trying to get my act together and get it all done before then.

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade