Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #541

Gotcha. Very nice!

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #542

PedalBox

I took the opportunity at the recent Bay Area Meet & Greet to ask Chris about the PedalBox he had recently installed. His review was positive so I ordered one and installed it this past week.

What is a PedalBox? Follow this link for the description: https://vancompass.com/collections/s...inter-pedalbox

If you drive a Sprinter, especially a built-out one with the additional weight, you are familiar with the "lag" experienced when applying the accelerator. The PedalBox addresses this issue and evens out the accelerator response.

Installation is simple. Unplug the electrical connector located above the accelerator pedal and plug in the PedalBox, then locate the control unit in an easily-accessible location. See the picture below for what I did. I used a small round file to trim the corner of the plastic panel to allow the wire to pass, then it was a simple matter to use the supplied double-backed tape to affix the mounting bracket to the dash.

Is it a dramatic and earth-shattering modification? No, but it definitely addresses the lag issue and improves the throttle response. There are four settings: City, Sport, Sport+ and Stock. Sport+ is my favorite and I suspect that is what will be used the majority of the time.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #543

Tim and I are responsible for a 50% increase in sales of Sprinter stuff at Van Compass this year! I haven't tried the Sport+ setting yet but if Tim likes it I'm doing it. I installed the rear Sumo bump stops on his advice also. Even just around town pulling into and out of driveways I can feel less "sway". I don't have a vintage Honda 50 to hang off the rear but I might just get another boat.
Chris
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:59 AM   #544

That looks pretty nifty. I'm a fan of more tech stuff...

I do believe I'll take our Sprinter through Van compass as part of the delivery trip this spring.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:11 PM   #545

Pull Pal Mounted

Some of our past desert trips got me to thinking about additional means of self recovery. This thought process led to a Pull Pal, and that led to the necessity for a mounting location that was both accessible and out of the way.

See below for what I came up with, not a bad job if I do say so. The weight is carried down low and the entire assembly is easy to remove if desired. I painted everything to match the lower rocker panels of the van, I believe it makes for a good look and it makes good use of the unused space on the Van Compass rocker guard.

I hope we never need it, but I have never considered hope a plan, so have it with us we will!
Old 03-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #546

Fitz,

Another great idea. We won't have the mounts for the hi lift installed as yet for our VC ladder, but that is one of the additions I plan on talking to mark about when I take the van through the VC workshop on my trip north.

I might do the same with our VC rockers as well WRT the pull pal. Yet another safety fallback, always good.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #547

Fitz!

My first post!

I passed you guys today in El Dorado Hills today on El Dorado Hills Blvd! I don’t know if you noticed but I was in the black Lexus LX470 with ARB bumper and the dark gray James Baroud Roof Top Tent!

Good looking rig you got and I noticed your fun logo on your storage box in my rear view mirror!
offroadkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #548

offroadkid,

We were up running around the foothills while everything is still wet and green. We spent the night outside Auburn last night and then went to Rattlesnake Bar (locked gate) and the Marshall gold discovery site today, then we took Salmon Falls Road down from Pilot Hill to where you saw us.

I do recall seeing your rig and thinking that it was a nice set up.

Now that you have made your first post, keep ‘em coming!
Old 03-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #549

12//3/16 to 3/26/18 - Present SMB'ers

If you have been through this entire (long!) thread you will recognize the picture below. Today the process was completed, keep reading....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
How about calling it a Mini-Meet-Up!

What do you call soon-to-be SMB Sprinter owners who have deposits down, build dates (tentatively - it all depends on MB delivery dates...) scheduled, and who are learning all about the patience required to get their new SMB? I'll go with Future SMB'ers until someone comes up with a better name!

Today Laura and I met with velo47 (Albuquerque NM), Mer1039 (Danville CA) and michaelf (Santa Rosa CA) and we went through Flint top to bottom, inside and out. It was a great time with like-minded people all doing something we enjoyed. Here is the group:

The original picture above was posted 12/3/16 (Post #204, page 21)

Then on 4/9/17 (Post #334, page 34) Ron & Barb (Mer1039) showed up with their new van...

Next came Michael (michaelf) on 10/8/17 (Post 465, page 47)...

And today the loop was closed when Matt & Katie (Velo47) pulled up in their beautiful new van...

12/3/16 to 3/26/18 - just a bit over 16 months. It has been great to follow everyone's progress and exciting to see the end results, as I am sure you will agree!

Laura & I are going to meet up with Matt & Katie at Overland Expo in Flagstaff in May, who else is going to show up and join us?
Old 03-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #550
Site Team

Fitz, enabling the addiction of others.

Herb

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade