Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #61

End of Week 5 Build Update

Lots of activity, lots of pictures. We all like pictures, so here they are!

The view from the back. Note that the penthouse is on and up, flooring (Loncoin Rubberized Dark Grey 41F) is installed, and base cabinets (Cherry) are in place.

Access to the under floor storage. This will be fun to fill up! (Disclaimer - Not my feet!)

Here is a closer look at half of the rear bench seat and some of the infrastructure below. Laura did a nice job with finishes selection (Bench seat is a combination of Daytona Black 44 and Grey Vinyl 40), can't wait to see it all come together.

These next three pictures show the base cabinets from the inside, looking left (rear) to right (front).

And a few of the exterior details. This is the plug for a future ground-mounted solar connection. This is one of those put-it-there-now-in-case items. There will be two solar panels permanently mounted on top, but there will never be a better time to have this installed if needed/wanted in the future.

Low-key exterior lighting. The fixture on the passenger's side is the SMB standard, the one on the drivers side matches and was added to provide light above the exterior shower that will be installed just below.

Connection port for the ARB CKMTA12 air compressor.

And finally, something I wasn't aware of. It looks like SMB Texas adds two interior lights in the headliner, a nice surprise and a nice touch!

Lots of progress made in Week 5, all is looking good for the scheduled 9/8 pickup date, and are we ever ready....!

Old 08-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #62
tlg

Garage
This is where it starts to get good. Enjoy the ride Fitz and thanks for dragging us along on your journey.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlg View Post
This is where it starts to get good. Enjoy the ride Fitz and thanks for dragging us along on your journey.
tlg,

From what I can see, being drug along is not an issue with members of this forum! Push, encourage, inquire, question, ask, provide enthusiasm and support - lots of that, and all of it much appreciated!
Old 08-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #64

As I said above in Post #31, I am in the process of installing a 10' high open-sided pre-fab 12'x21' free standing metal carport. This is a pre-engineered off-the-shelf building, nothing complicated about it. The pad is done and the Building Permit application was submitted 7/25/16.

We finally received plan check comments a month later, on 8/25/16. Five structural questions that require a wet stamped and signed response from the engineer (for a pre-fabbed off-the-shelf structure...), plus this little gem: SB 407 requires non-compliant plumbing fixtures to be replaced with water-conserving plumbing fixtures when a property is undergoing additions, alterations or improvements. Applicants seeking to obtain permits for any of these types of work will be required to replace non-compliant fixtures prior to final permit approval or issuance of a certificate of occupancy by the local building department. This law applies only to properties built on or before January 1, 1994.

Just because I'm the inquisitive sort, I pulled up SB 407. It's all there, including the stipulation that On or before 1/1/17, noncompliant plumbing fixtures in any single-family residential real property shall be replaced by the property owner with water-conserving plumbing fixtures and On and after 1/1/17, a seller or transferor of single-family residential real property shall disclose in writing to the prospective purchaser...whether the real property includes any noncompliant plumbing fixtures.

This simple SMB cover is getting more expensive all the time. The house was built in 1980, that should tell you I have some work to do. It's a good thing I'm a pretty good weekend plumber. Sometimes its sooooooo hard to do the right thing.....

Gotta love life in California. But on the flip side, we were in Big Sur for a day trip a week or two ago and we watched the sun go down over San Francisco from AT&T Park as the Giants played Friday night. Not bad.

I'll close with a picture. This is the often-photographed Bixby Bridge in the early morning on CA Highway 1 just north of Big Sur. The fire was burning to the east, thus what you see is morning fog with the faint odor of smoke in the background. Our trip that day was to a beach in the area known for pockets of purple (jade) sand, well worth the drive!

Old 08-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #65

What color is your van? Where are they mounting the air compressor? Does this unit have a tank?
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:29 PM   #66

Van is Pebble Grey, about the color of concrete.
The air compressor is mounted under the hood, drivers side.
No separate air tank required.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Van is Pebble Grey, about the color of concrete.
The air compressor is mounted under the hood, drivers side.
No separate air tank required.
Direct wired into vehicle side of electrical system? What model compressor?

Thanks again!
michaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #68

ARB CKMTA12 Air Compressor, fused and direct wired into the vehicle electrical system.
6.16 cfm @ 0 psi, 4.68 cfm @ 29 psi, 150 psi max pressure. Unit weighs 7.9 pounds, height = 4.1 in, length = 10.9 in, width = 7.5 in

Ask me for an installed picture and I can comply in about two weeks! For now here is a picture of the compressor in a box with a Cross pen sitting in front of it for scale:

Old 08-29-2016, 11:23 PM   #69

Hi Fitz,
I've been out of touch and not reading the forum for many weeks. Can you please HURRY up. I need to see your Sprinter up close and personal. My build is moving S-l-o-w-l-y. Insulation is complete. Wiring will start after Labor day. I have all components ready to install. I can't remember what was complete when we visited but I think just the windows. Maxxair is in. Wheels, tires, Aluminess rear bumper and tire carrier installed, Fiamma installed, custom modified Aluminess Nerf steps installed. Rear bunk platform complete. I'm now fabbing the framework for the refrigerator and small 2 person dinette just behind the driver seat. Seat swivels are in. All electrical and D2 furnace will be on the driver side. Inverter will go under the passenger seat, batteries in the aux battery space under the hood and also under the floor midship. I keep getting distracted with work and a side trip here and there so my build will likely run into next year. You are SO close...exciting!
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #70

Chris,

I would love to hurry up, but as you know, some things are out of my control!

You are correct, you had just had the windows installed when we came to see your van. I do remember that you had several unopened boxes in the garage, from your description you have been busy since then. I'm curious what you did to modify the Aluminess Nerf Bars and everything else you have been working on, I guess I will just have to wait to see.

The van will be here in the Bay Area the last two weeks in September so we better plan something for then. It's going on the road for a good chunk of October - the Jade Festival near Big Sur, the Valley of Fire Meet and Greet, and then rock hounding for a week in the Mojave. Got a few trips stored up....

Looking at the calendar, I see that Laura has me on hold for a rock show in Santa Rosa the weekend of 9/24-25. If that weekend is clear for you it looks like I will be in the vicinity, couldn't ask for it to work out any better! Just let me know.

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade