Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #71

End of Week 6 Build Update.

Otherwise titled: If all goes as planned, the next pictures in this build thread will be FINISHED pictures!

First of all, thanks to forum member Snowy who looked in on my build this past week while he was on site reviewing his build. Thank you for taking the time to send some pictures and offer your comments, much appreciated!

Starting from the back and working forward:

Looking in the back, straight ahead. The XL Storage in the floor is framed, the 17 gallon fresh water tank is visible through the cabinet opening and the rear bed frame support rails are installed on each side.

Looking in the back, driver's side rear. The storage cabinet shelves are installed and both storage cabinet sliding doors are in place.

Looking in the back, the ceiling and underside of the penthouse. The underside of the penthouse bed is covered with Grey Tweed fabric, the two additional rear speakers installed by Custom Sounds of Austin are in place.

Looking in the back, passenger's side rear. The wall is Daytona Grey Vinyl 40 above and Cherry wood below. Note the power outlets in the wall above the bed, I specified dual USB outlets without an indicator light wherever installed.

Looking down at the infrastructure contained in the base of the bench seat. If you think there is room for much additional storage in here, think again! Looking from the front:

And looking from the rear:

Here is the view of the bench seat base and the driver's side cabinets looking in from the side door:

Looking at the galley cabinets straight on with the standard microwave in the center and the Isotherm Cruise CR 65 Classic refrigerator with the SMB fabricated and installed matching cherry wood door front panel on the right. A larger refrigerator would have fit here, but we did not want to give up the valuable drawer space above it:

The Tundra countertop with the standard stainless steel sink and faucet:

And finally, two front-opening Gun Vault SV 500's stacked on top of each other in the space between the refrigerator cabinet and the back of the driver's seat:

As I said at the beginning of this post, the next set of pictures should show the finished product. Its been a journey, with many more in store for the future!

Old 09-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #72

Thinking about finally picking up Flint this coming week made me realize I need a checklist, so I put the attached together. I just sent it to Brian & Paul at SMB in the hope that if they use it first it will eliminate any surprises when I show up there Thursday morning. I just thought I'd share, as I am doing my best to keep this build thread as complete as possible.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:40 PM   #73
Site Team

Looking absolutely gorgeous. I'd also recommend arriving with a blank punch-list that you can fill in as you notice issues.

Herb
Old 09-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Looking absolutely gorgeous. I'd also recommend arriving with a blank punch-list that you can fill in as you notice issues.

Herb
After all the years I have spent in the construction world, I'm no stranger to both generating and/or receiving punch lists. Good advice, thank you, hopefully it will be a short one!
Old 09-08-2016, 01:43 AM   #75

Nice punch list. You may want to perform some functional test of the equipment, such as:

Open/Close PH, partial open/close (e.g., 0%>50%>0%)
Test outlets with voltmeter on shore power and battery+inverter
Test voltage charge of solar panels
Check for loose wiring on any terminal blocks or breaker panel
Check panel fuses and get spares
Measure temp of ice box, HVAC vents, and hot water
Test water pump
Test water and grey tank drains. Check valves turn easily and shutoff
Test security system (open/close all doors)
Test 4x4 hi/low range on dirt road
Etc.

Your build looks great! I've sent my deposit to SMB West last week and I am patiently waiting. I was quoted about 15 months. You've posted valuable information and pics for my wife and I used to spec out our rig. We are going with your layout and PH top. We are considering rear AC for the kids. Thanks and enjoy your Sportsmobile! As part of your shakedown, you may want to camp in front of Franklin BBQ in Austin to be first in line for their brisket.
MtShasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:59 AM   #76

MtShasta,

Congratulations on putting down the deposit, now the work really begins!

Great input on the check list, items added. We pick up the van this morning so the timing is right.

Found a great steak here in Austin last night, looking forward to the BBQ later today!
Old 09-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #77
tlg

Garage
Hope the pick up went well. Can't wait to hear/see about your day. Best of luck!
Old 09-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #78

Pick up went well, more on that later. Camped nearby tonight, found three small items to be corrected, will go back in the morning to have them taken care of. Very impressed so far!
Old 09-09-2016, 05:05 AM   #79

Garage
Fitzy, Congratulations, now for the fun!
Pictures please. Cheers, Doug
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:02 AM   #80

Beautiful build. Enjoy!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade