Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelf View Post
I have the 2 gal RotoPax if you want to verify size before ordering. Hope I can modify the tire carrier to hold it either between the tire and door or on the outside. I'll have to get some measurements and see if it's possible.
I met up with Chris and Michael this weekend, Chris's build is coming right along! Chris crawled under my van, I crawled under his, and Michael (his van is being built by MB at this time in anticipation of an end-of-year delivery to SMB West) crawled under them both! It made for a good information exchange.

Michael brought a two gallon Rotopax and I confirmed that it will fit in the space behind the Deluxe Box where I have a one gallon mounted now, all I need to do is to move the attachment bracket up one inch, easy enough to do. The pictures show the two gallon unit sitting on the bracket set for the one gallon unit, plenty of room to move up and plenty of room on both sides for the larger two gallon Rotopax.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
Fitz, did SMB wire for your multi-mount winch this with a solenoid, and if so, where did they put the switch? If you get a chance, could you post a pic of where they put it if they did this?

Thanks,
Snowy
SMB pre-wired for both a front and rear winch. It appears that both are on the same solenoid, I'm still chasing down the wires and dealing with some wire management issues.

Here is the master switch inside on the left hand side of the dash just below the high idle controls.

And here is the solenoid under the hood attached to the driver's side inner fender, just above the CPU.

The two relays above it are for the front LED light bar and the two LED lights in the rear bumper.

As I said, I have a bit of cord management to do. Nothing major, all a result of having SMB pre-wire for a piece of equipment that Aluminess installed and that I get to terminate.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #143

I know I was supposed to let my check-book cool off....

When I selected the Kenwood head unit Matt told me it had inputs for two camera's, typically one in back and one in front.

I couldn't imagine a need for a front camera at the time so I told Matt not to bother. HOWEVER, after adding the front winch bumper, and having someone park so close to me that they almost touched the front bumper leaving me a multi-multi point turn to get out of the parking spot, I now see the wisdom of a front camera.

So when I visited Chris in Santa Rosa on Saturday I also visited Cartronics (recommended by Matt at Custom Sounds in Austin....)

The camera is mounted directly under the center of the MB star, out of the way and in a position to provide an effective viewing angle. So far it's just a toy that provides more input, but the view is good and I suspect it will soon prove its value.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
A little further information regarding the Fog Light question raised in #'s 14, 16 & 17 above:

From sprintguy over on the Sprinter-Forum: "I put on a stock unit (Aluminess front bumper) and it does take the place of the front impact bar, I was also able to wire the fog lights to the factory system (same wattage). Pretty easy to install...lost the headlamp washers...the collision sensor just needs to be aligned properly behind the plastic panel."

I won't know for sure until I do it, but it looks like all will be well with the fog light wiring up front.

The above is from #32 in the string of previous posts.

As I said back then, "I won't know for sure until I do it."

I hooked up the new fog lights yesterday and I'm pleased to report that the Hella 500 halogen lights are a direct change out for the factory halogen fog lights and that wiring them directly in place of the originals results in lights that work with no fault alarms.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #145

Hey Tim, thanks for the chance to poke around the van.

Just ran across this as I was looking at Aluminess bumpers and whatnot. And yes, I've updated my SMB build to include the bumper, box, hitch, and lights. Told you it was going to be an expensive visit!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 7.53.06 PM.png  
michaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:31 AM   #146
sak

Will do. Say, I will have an area available for a carport that has a maximum opening height of 9 feet. I have looked at the information from smb and others to get a vehicle height. Numbers range anywhere from 99" to 109", and no information on whether it's a 4x or optional rims or tires etc. The van will be like yours except no solar panels on top, just the PH. Will Flint fit under a 9 foot carport with measurements including your method 17's and PH? Thanks
sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:05 PM   #147

Garage height is very important to me as well. I've enlarged my garage at a big expense so I've talked to SMB Texas about it. Mine is a 2016 144 4x4 low top with solar on top of racks on a poptop and here is what told me ( it has stock tires):
"Yes it will the total height will be 8’8’’ if we put solar on the rack. If we put the semi flexible solars on the roof (glued) it will 8’6’’.
BTW that's one of the main reasons I got an air compressor installed in my van - so I can let air out of the tires if l need to get I. The garage :-). My total interior garage height will be 9-4 and I'll find out in a week after I pick the van up and drive home.
Hope that helps
David
Davidboco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #148
sak

David, thanks so much for the info. I plan on having non permanent suitcase solar array so it will not be on the roof. I'm planning on Thule Tracs on the pH, and I have to admit, I have only seen them in photos. I hope the 9 foot height opening works.
sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #149

Van Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak View Post
Will do. Say, I will have an area available for a carport that has a maximum opening height of 9 feet. I have looked at the information from smb and others to get a vehicle height. Numbers range anywhere from 99" to 109", and no information on whether it's a 4x or optional rims or tires etc. The van will be like yours except no solar panels on top, just the PH. Will Flint fit under a 9 foot carport with measurements including your method 17's and PH? Thanks
I agree with your observation, I had a really tough time trying to find a definitive answer as to the final height of the van. SMB Texas finally told me to figure on 8"-10" to a Thule crossbar.

To answer your question I took the following pictures. I would have done it sooner, but a quick weekend trip to Nevada and Lake Tahoe got in the way....

To measure I parked the van on flat concrete and laid a 4x4 on top, first on the Thule rails and second on the top of the solar panels (note that SMB Fresno installs them a bit differently.) Also, the PH top has a slight crown, thus I measured at the center to get the maximum height.

From the Thule rails:

From the top of the solar panels:

As you can see, 8'-5" to the top of the Thule rails and 8"-7" to the top of the solar panels, this with BFG KO2 265-70R17's on the van.

I still need to install the Thule crossbars, that will give me my final height (which will be in the 8'-10" range). I was going to take them off the truck before I sold it and move them over, but they became part of the sale thus now I need to go out and buy them first. Not a bad thing as it will let me move from the old square style to the newer, and supposedly quieter, aerodynamic style.

Hopefully this clarifies the issue for you. I included the pictures so you could see for yourself just where the point of measurements were, having it told to you is one thing, seeing it is quite another.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:12 PM   #150
IPT

That thing came out awesome!!

I'm curious about the Penthouse. Looks like the base pf the bed comes from the rear to the front but not all the way. So the height is a little more up towards the front. Is the base of the sleeping area one fixed board? Can you remove that? I'm pretty sure you can but figured I'd ask. Would love to see pics of the various configurations.

Such a sweet ride. Sounds like you are really digging it and I can see why!
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade