Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 11:16 AM   #561

1974 Honda CT 70 Mini Trail

I'm not sure if Overland Expo inspired me, but I finally decided to take the time to finalize the Mini Bike to Sprinter attachment.

I purchased a RackAttach http://rakattach.com/ and started to design around it, but in the end it is now sitting off to the side. It's very well made and works as stated, but the combination of the small size of the bike (155 lbs.) and the ease of use of the Add-A-Bike ENTER attachment points makes it just as easy to roll the bike off the rack when I want access to the rear of the van, thus saving the additional weight, reduced clearance (a 2" drop is required in order to allow the spare tire to swing out over the RackAttach) and additional rear extension. Here are a couple of pictures as I was test fitting the RackAttach:

Minimizing the weight and maximizing the ability to carry it became the design basis. The Add-A-Bike hitch carrier is made from aluminum, the somewhat heavy (and relatively expensive) Blue Ox 3" riser/extension https://www.blueoxtowbars.com/produc...ceiver,BX88235 provided the perfect amount of vertical and horizontal dimensional adjustment (after trying many combinations of different things!), and the Van Compass adjustable rear Fox shocks and Sumo Springs adds the desired firmness to the rear end when hanging this additional 200 pounds off the rear receiver.

Here is what the finished product looks like, you can barely tell it's back there when going down the road!

The last picture shows the attachment points to the pegs. They are very secure and I see no need for any additional tie-downs. Of course, that is said after driving 25 miles or so with a good friend following close behind as I drove over curbs, swerved all around and made a couple of panic stops on the test drive!

Now when Laura is attending her rock shows (we will be in Oregon in June and Quartzite in January) I will have something else to do!

Old 05-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #562

^ Another great addition Tim. This just might inspire me to get the Mini Trail running this summer.
michaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #563

Thanks, Tim. As always, great addition to your catalogue of helpful information.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #564

Awesome! Like how it worked out for ya! I don't know where your rear license plate ended up as the pics don't really show it...if it's obscured, it may give the local revenue collection officer a reason to give you a hassle. ( ...especially as you wander through small rural.towns...)

The is true for your backup/ turn signals too. A mini harness and some LEDs mounted the mini bike rack might be just the ticket. I have some double 6" oval HD trailer lights boxes ( total over kill) but may make for an easy & robust brake light/ turn signal solution. We'd need to order the lights and I can whip up a harness for ya...also, could install a high powered ( relay driven) backup light too...
VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #565

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I'm not sure if Overland Expo inspired me, but I finally decided to take the time to finalize the Mini Bike to Sprinter attachment.

I purchased a RackAttach http://rakattach.com/ and started to design around it, but in the end it is now sitting off to the side. It's very well made and works as stated, but the combination of the small size of the bike (155 lbs.) and the ease of use of the Add-A-Bike

ENTER attachment points makes it just as easy to roll the bike off the rack when I want access to the rear of the van, thus saving the additional weight, reduced clearance (a 2" drop is required in order to allow the spare tire to swing out over the RackAttach) and additional rear extension. Here are a couple of pictures as I was test fitting the RackAttach:

Minimizing the weight and maximizing the ability to carry it became the design basis. The Add-A-Bike hitch carrier is made from aluminum, the somewhat heavy (and relatively expensive) Blue Ox 3" riser/extension https://www.blueoxtowbars.com/produc...ceiver,BX88235 provided the perfect amount of vertical and horizontal dimensional adjustment (after trying many combinations of different things!), and the Van Compass adjustable rear Fox shocks and Sumo Springs adds the desired firmness to the rear end when hanging this additional 200 pounds off the rear receiver.

Here is what the finished product looks like, you can barely tell it's back there when going down the road!

The last picture shows the attachment points to the pegs. They are very secure and I see no need for any additional tie-downs. Of course, that is said after driving 25 miles or so with a good friend following close behind as I drove over curbs, swerved all around and made a couple of panic stops on the test drive!

Now when Laura is attending her rock shows (we will be in Oregon in June and Quartzite in January) I will have something else to do!
G'day,

Great review plus images.

How much does Swingout Rack Attack weigh?

Do you want to sell? PM Me!

Cheers Doug
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:16 PM   #566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug View Post
G'day,

Great review plus images.

How much does Swingout Rack Attack weigh?

Do you want to sell? PM Me!

Cheers Doug
Add-A-Bike = 39 pounds
RackAttach = 61 pounds

I haven’t given a thought to selling the RackAttach, but that is most likely the sensible next move.

Shipping to Australia? That would be something to look into. When I received it the packing job was impressive - that would need to be duplicated. Suggest you get a price on a new one delivered and then let’s talk!
Old 05-29-2018, 05:11 AM   #567

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Add-A-Bike = 39 pounds
RackAttach = 61 pounds

I haven’t given a thought to selling the RackAttach, but that is most likely the sensible next move.

Shipping to Australia? That would be something to look into. When I received it the packing job was impressive - that would need to be duplicated. Suggest you get a price on a new one delivered and then let’s talk!

Hi.

I regularly use Schumacher Cargo, Ocean Freight, Gadena LA, I have a shipment leaving shortly. So, please give me a price via PM for Rack Attack delivered to Schumacher Cargo, Logistics, Gadena if you want to sell.

Cheers Doug
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:59 AM   #568

Sheriffdoug,

PM sent.

Tim
Old 05-29-2018, 09:44 PM   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelf View Post
^ Another great addition Tim. This just might inspire me to get the Mini Trail running this summer.
Michael,

Do it! I haven’t played with a carburetor in a while, I’m embarrassed to say how long it took me to drain, clean and adjust it, but at the end of the day it’s is purring like it should! If you look at the pictures closely you will see that 2014 was the last year I put tags on it, that tells you how much use it hasn’t gotten!
Old 06-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #570

Just wanted to send a thank you note for putting this thread together. It took me a couple days to read it, but lots of information. I just dropped off a 2018 4X4 144 High Roof Crew Van for conversion (RB 150S), and have several pages of notes from this thread for when I pick up the van in three months.
whwv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade