Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #21

I agree that SMB should be responsible, but it's a 4-hour drive for me to get to Fresno. Much faster for me to fix it myself if I can!

SteveTOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:34 PM   #22

Reviving this thread hopefully. Did anyone have success in fixing this problem? I am having the same issue on a 2017 build. I have the SMB panel shimmed so it doesn't push on the cap but probably need a new cap so I can replace the whole thing with a better seal. Any tips?
ApresVanagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:24 PM   #23

When I fixed mine, I just cut away the factory paint with a box cutter before I pulled the plug out completely, then used silicone seal to glue it back in place. It was really easy. Getting the shim in place in the ceiling took much longer.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:56 PM   #24
JEM

New around here, doing a couple things sleepable but not Sportsmobiles.

I'm not confident of silicone sealant sticking to metal over time, or its resistance to solar UV.

For something like this the UV-resistant 3M marine sealant (4200UV?) might be a better option. The 5200 may be a stronger adhesive (I love that stuff so much, it's Curse Of The Pharoahs strong, it's hell even to scrape off a porcelain toilet) but not sold as UV-resistant.

Opinions?
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
New around here, doing a couple things sleepable but not Sportsmobiles.

I'm not confident of silicone sealant sticking to metal over time, or its resistance to solar UV.

For something like this the UV-resistant 3M marine sealant (4200UV?) might be a better option. The 5200 may be a stronger adhesive (I love that stuff so much, it's Curse Of The Pharoahs strong, it's hell even to scrape off a porcelain toilet) but not sold as UV-resistant.

Opinions?

I made that fix years ago and so far, so good. That said, we don't get much rain here in Southern California to test it. But the adhesive isn't exposed to the sun because the plug has a lip on the top to shade the glue. Besides, that's what I had on hand that isn't too messy.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:53 PM   #26

Garage
See my earlier post on the “Silicone/sealer recommendations for …. “ thread. I used Dicor self-leveling lap sealant to prevent leaks from the factory roof caps on my Transit.

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:15 AM   #27

I have a 2018 and found this round plug has emerged from the roof, sticking up a few millimeters with dried glue all around it. Thanks to other members here for elucidating the nature of this strange little plug. I will remove it, clean it, reinsert it and surround it with a urethane glue used for installing windows, sikaflex is what I have.
SprinterBob is offline   Reply With Quote