Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #1

Is Sportsmobile's price on a new build negotiable?

Hello all, i am new to the forum here and just plopped my $2k down w Sportsmobile Texas for a new sprinter 4x4 build and was wondering if the pricing they give you is firm fixed or if there is some wiggle room.

JackB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:16 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Is Sportsmobile's price on a new build negotiable?

Hello.
I had my 2008 6.0 diesel Ford SMB eb50 floorplan done in
Fresno. I thought the price, service & work quality were excellent,
and would return again.
When you get your finished smb, it will amaze you at the attention
to detail and you will see thier years of experience in just the little things.

There will be things you will want afterwards. These vehicles keep evolving,
with you.

See you in the great outdoors.

2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:19 AM   #3

No, the prices alre fixed.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:40 AM   #4

I had a very tight budget and they were very nice about giving me all sorts of price breakouts so I could pare down my build to meet my budget and still get the features I wanted most. I.e., they didn't reduce their prices but did help me reduce my costs.
9pb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #5

My experience in life: most things are negotiable. Hell, I've negotiated medical costs before even having procedures done. I've haggled over pricing so much at my local motorcycle shop (this is the age of the internet and I buy A LOT of motorcycle parts) that I just have a permanent (and significant) discount in their computer for any goods so it is no longer negotiable.

Like 9pb9 said, they may just delete some features or substitute products to bring the cost down. It is a custom build afterall.

I highly doubt that SMB (or any company) is going to just drop their pants on price just to give you a quote, it's not like you're going to take your business elsewhere (right?)

Another thing to take into account is how much of the cost is parts/material vs labor? I'll argue over material cost, but the guys doing the work need to get paid. If you want cheaper labor cost, you should expect cheaper quality of workmanship. Lesser quality craftsmanship is not money saved. In the case of a custom build out, I would say that is non-negotiable.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ

Like 9pb9 said, they may just delete some features or substitute products to bring the cost down. It is a custom build afterall.

I highly doubt that SMB (or any company) is going to just drop their pants on price just to give you a quote, it's not like you're going to take your business elsewhere (right?.
Keep in mind that, if you want an awning but want them to install a cheaper one, plan on doing it yourself. They cann't stock both cheap awnings and expensive ones. Instead, they pick a product that will perform the best and not result in problems for the customer. Likewise, while each build might be different and custom, they are use the same stoves, microwaves, etc.

Take your business somewhere else? I don't think that they worry about that, not with the long lead times. It took 9 months after ordering to pick our van up...

Jack
Old 10-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #7

Back in 2009/10, you may have been able to negotiate a little, but as mentioned, with build dates 6 months or more out, they don't need to. I don't know if there are any other realistic options for custom work like they do. RV dealers cut deals, and if you want something like a 30 Winnebago, there are several manufacturers and dozens of dealers. Not the case for our vehicles.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #8

Thanks all for the good info. Kinda what I expected, but had to ask the question. I do actually think it is a good deal with what you get, totally custom rig, as opposed to a Winnebego ERA which is more expensive.
JackB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #9

Sorry for coming to the party late but I do want to add that it does not appear that SMB will discount items.

Even during the darkest times of my build a discount was never a consideration for them, and this was in 2012 when things were just starting to recover from the economic issues.

On the other hand SMB was also very firm in their approach that they did not want to include and charge you for things that their experience had proven was of little value (my generator for instance...).

I agree that these are pretty custom and if you compare them side by side with mass produced vehicles you will definitely see that the value is there and for the most part the quality is much better.

I'll repeat that back when deciding on a vehicle I drove a Roadtrek and it convinced me that I did not want one and the salesman said that I was likely an SMB type.

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:52 PM   #10

I sure as heck wouldn't knuckle and dime them on a $100,000 rig and have them cut corners. It's bad enough building a house. Gotta keep a eye on the contractors at all times. Just say'n.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote