Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #11

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Just spec'd a 4x4 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer
I think that these issues will get worked out rather quickly. I read / heard somewhere that UPS or FedEx is converting their trucks to Sprinters. My guess the recent 4X4 option had a lot to do with it. I'd put money on seeing a whole lot more Sprinters with and without 4X4 in the near future.
The issues are with the Sprinter in general, not the 4X4 system. The one I pictured above has had the Check Engine Light on for two years. My 2008 CEL would come on all the time...

Go to the Sprinter Forum http://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php and you will read lots of complaints.

My opinion is that they are just two complex and need to go to the dealer for most service - always very expensive. That said, the great fuel economy and layout are attractive.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:38 PM   #12

Re: Just spec'd a 4x4 170" WB 3500 for $63,214...

We own a 2014 sprinter.
I am not sure if I like it or not, we had lots of problems with the penthouse top install, so I am pretty sour on the van in general.
That said, we have had no mechanical problems (quirky TPMS a couple times, that is it) with the van in 10,000 miles, but.....i trust it less than most any car I have had. I picture getting stranded in BFE by this thing more than any old high mileage truck or van I have owned.
It just seems like once stuff starts going wrong, it will go really wrong.
Drives great, great mpg, looks great. MBUSA sucks, the dealers mostly suck, few and far between dealership locations, typical modern German car...you don't want to own it without a warranty.
The new Ford transit has the same modern computer systems, so that will be the same deal.
The old school simple econoline is dead, but those vans will be running many years more than the sprinters will.
I kinda view ours as a shitty and expensive version of a vw vanagon camper.....that you can't fix yourself on the side of the road.
Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile

Go to the Sprinter Forum http://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php and you will read lots of complaints.

And you can also go to the Ford forums and you will read lots of complaints about Fords
Same for Dodge, GMC, ..............................
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9sprinter
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile

And you can also go to the Ford forums and you will read lots of complaints about Fords
Same for Dodge, GMC, ..............................
I agree. I don't want anyone to read my comments above and think I have a problem with Sprinters. I love them. I'm just the type of person who doesn't want to own anything I can't maintain. I've never had a car in a dealership and only a couple of big problems have gone to an independent mechanic. My attitude is changing as I get older, however. I have some insight in to Sprinters because I'm around them at work all the time and see the problems they have with heavy use. Also, our mechanics don't have access (yet) to all the diagnostic tools that the dealer does, which is really stupid of my company, so my rant is perhaps more against that than the problems themselves.

Also, I own 2 late model BMW's and love them. Both have a CEL on, constantly. I know the problems and have no intention of fixing them. The cars still drive fine.

The comment by Onefin above is so true "......typical modern German car...you don't want to own it without a warranty.
The new Ford transit has the same modern computer systems, so that will be the same deal.
The old school simple econoline is dead, but those vans will be running many years more than the sprinters will."

My fear is, as many 6.0 owners have found out in the middle of Baja or some other version of BFE, any modern vehicle that we can't service ourselves is more likely to leave us stranded and poor and turn vacations in to nightmares.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote