Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #1

Lake Powell Camping

Hi:

I am planning to visit Lake Powell in late July 2013. Not familiar with the area. Looked up the official site and all I really see are the RV sites and marinas. I would like to find a some secluded campsite locations for my van.

Can anyone on the forum give me some ideas on where to camp? Is there some kind of perimiter road(s) that will lead me to shorline campsites. I will have my kayak and plan to do some fishing so any input on fishing would be great also.

Thanks,

jjtwister

Toyo AT 2's 285/R75-16's
1959 Chevy Apache Hot Rod
jjtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #2

Re: Lake Powell Camping

Access can be difficult outside of the main areas. There are not many roads and since the water level has changed so dramatically, these tend to peter out miles from the waters edge. I know we tried in the past to get close to the water up near Hite then later closer to Wahweap. I was not able to get anywhere near close enough to make it worthwhile.

It has been a few years since I was last there though, so I will dig up my maps later today and see if I can find any notations I might have made that could be of use.

I should have mentioned that there is organized camping at the marinas that are accessible by road by it's not exactly isolated and peaceful. I have rough camped near the Bullfrog side of the ferry crossing but it was just an overnighter on the way home. I wasn't thinking about the appeal of the area for a longer stay but it was right on the water. That might be worth investigating on a satellite foto. You an also download the USGS topos that are about as detailed as it gets.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #3

Garage

I drove the SMB through the Glenn Canyon Recreational area along rt 95 last August, which is huge and tremendously beautiful. I went up Fry Canyon (Radium Mine road) and after it turns right and climbs slightly there were many smaller spur roads with good camping, views and great mountain biking ops.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=fry+cany ... s&t=m&z=13
Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #4

I dug up the maps and it seems to be as I remember it. The access around the marinas is very heavily used because it really seems to be the only way to get down to the water in a car. There is a road just south of Hite marina, off Utah 95 which was the one we tried. It's called Fairly Road. It was rough but do-able in a 2wd VW van but it didn't get us close enough to the water to be able to carry a kayak down. You might have better luck if you have 4wd and the satellite foto shows it closer to the water than I remember but then it shows the ramp at Hite in the water too and it has all been abandoned now.

It is not hard getting away from people with a kayak, even starting at the big marinas. That's what we do. A few hours paddle will put you in areas where you probably won't see other people but you'd need to be set up for camping. In a kayak you can also explore all the little canyons that the tourist boats can't get to. It's fascinating and somewhat spooky to be paddling up a canyon between dead trees that tower above you but are festooned with fishing line. The water level really was that different! You might be able to hire someone to take your gear and boat a way down the lake and arrange a pick up later if solitude is what you want.

If you want a picture of what this area is like to navigate, look up the 'Hole in the rock trail' and see what the Mormon's had to do to get through before there was a dam. Well worth the trip though, it is a very beautiful area.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #5

That's a hot month. We spent a week on houseboat there in July. Mid-days were a tad brutal. Eves amazing.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren85022
That's a hot month. We spent a week on houseboat there in July. Mid-days were a tad brutal. Eves amazing.
What he said. Also, by late July you're starting to get into monsoon season. Not necessarily a bad thing, as they can be spectacular to watch, but they can be absolutely torrential in the amount of rain that can fall in a very short period. The lightning can be amazing as well.

Herb
Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #7

Garage

The monsoons are exactly why I went in August.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
The monsoons are exactly why I went in August.
Agree, just don't camp in a wash or gully.

Herb
Old 02-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #9

Garage

This trail looks fun, maybe too much fun...

http://www.expeditionutah.com/featur...ock-4x4-trail/
Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #10

Although a bit distant from the lake, but still within view, is this location. Its off of a remote and seldom used County road, that begins at the north west corner of the lake.

37°11'13.88"N
111°26'37.89"W

You can basically camp anywhere you can get off the road..

There are also nice hikes near Page, on the reservation, for a reasonable fee.

I'll try to put better resolution pics in my gallery.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
PA170727.jpg   PA170691.jpg   PA180739.jpg  
BACKRDS is offline   Reply With Quote