Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #1

Leaking Roof

The big rain hit here last week in Nor Cal and all of a sudden there was water coming into the interior of my new conversion. I though it was the track on the roof for the solar panel that was leaking but turns out that one of the seams that go all the way across the roof had a crack in it. I was told by Sportsmobile that this is not uncommon in the older vans. Mine is a 2006. I'm thinking that the extra weight of all the built ins creates torque going over bumps and around corners and this is what caused the crack. I'm putting air lift springs on next week to try and eliminate some of that sideways torque.
Any other bright ideas? And has anyone else out there experienced this?

bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #2

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Re: Leaking Roof

Common in older vans? I don't think so. More likely caused by someone walking on the roof.

Are you going to weld over the seam and where exactly is it?

Regards,

Keith
Old 10-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #3

Photos would help, although I don't want to imagine this.

Hmm...

2006 is "older"?

Hmm...

You're supposed to be able to walk around on the roof: there is/was a photo of SMB employees all standing on a van roof to prove this.

Hmmm...

The line "this is not uncommon in the older vans"... are they saying you aren't eligible for the roof warranty?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:58 PM   #4

It's down there in Fresno right now and they say they are "going to try and fix it". Water damage in the interior which they are going to fix, no charge, I think.
They acted like it was not their fault.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #5

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.

A photo from Sportsmobile is hardly an endorsement for walking on the roof.

From the Sprinter forum . . . "The issue with walking about on the roof is that it is made up of several panels with a spot welded lap joint. When you flex the roof the panels flex and it starts to break the sealed joint between the panels. This in turn allows water into the join and then leads to rust starting."

Yes, the roof can hold up to 300 kilograms (I need to look that up) but that is distributed weight. Sure you can walk on the roof but, it is not made to walk on. And once the roof is cut for A/C, Fantastic Fan and the like further reduces the capacity to take weight without flexing.

The fact that they are going to try and fix it speaks volumes.

Regards,

Keith
Old 10-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #6

I've been very happy with the service at Sportsmobile. I just wish they were a little closer.
I can't find any info on roof seams splitting on Sprinters. Do you have a source?
Regards Greg
Old 10-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #7

I too have been very pleased with SMB. They have helped me with any issue.

I don't have any technical data but here is a least one string of discussion . . .
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showth ... lk+on+roof

Regards,

Keith
Old 10-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #8

Yeah, I definitely made the assumption it was a fiberglass PH, not the actual Sprinter roof.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #9

I just found another discussion about leaking seams and how to fix it with Sikaflex which is what I beleive Peter mentioned when I dropped the van off in Fresno.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #10

Sorry. I never posted the final outcome of my leaking roof. SMB fixed it. They also charged me $480.00 to repair the interior damaged by water. When I picked it up in Fresno I was so happy to just get it and hit the road that I paid without protest. They did a good job. No leaks this last winter and we had some big time storms. Really love this 5 cylinder engine. I'mstill averaging 23 mpg fully loaded.