Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #11

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Re: Looking for Photo of Inside Rear Doors of Mercedes Sprin

There is plenty of room in the back doors for storage. I keep all my electrical cords, adapaters on one side and a couple of different types of 1" hoses, disposible gloves on the other.

The doors for 08 dodges are the same as current MB's. At the top of the doors I have a pouch with holds screens and a curtain for the side door glass. An extra in the photo are the handles which you can order and attach to pre drilled holes. They make it easier to get in and out and give you something to use as a pressure point or anchor, etc.

BTW, the pocket itself is about 2" higher, deeper and to each side of the door you see.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #12

@kmessinger,

That's good to hear. Thank you. You're doing exactly what I want to do: store hoses, electrical cords, and the smaller things you mention.

Did you build those door flaps, or does someone sell them?

I'll check into those handles. I'm sure if I don't someday I'll be annoyed at myself for not having them.

And who's your friend sitting there watching the photographer? Seems quite comfortable and happy.
bluesprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #13

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

My Sprinter was coverted by Sportsmobile West. The doors are just particle board finished off with a wire cable so they only drop down to horizontal.

The guy in the picture is Presley. He lets me use his Sprinter to drive him around. He would live in it full time if it were up to him.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #14

I'm sure the folks at SMB North can do the same or similar, but I had best check!

Presley looks like the ideal traveling companion. Good thing he knows how to use a GPS.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #15

Good view here of the right-hand side rear door:

http://www.campervanlife.com/news/ch...ion-to-sleep-4
Old 03-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger

??????????????? Presley doesn't get a view?????????????
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #17

What a great find bluesprinter. I would be inclined to cut that horizontal support between the lower and lowest openings- leaving the door face as the front, nothing like having a natural pocket to shove hoses and cords in. I'm planning a venture into my other rear door to recapture the license plate bracket space because I like the door spaces so much.

Also, re: the slideout- what happens when it rains and you're deployed? Get a nice mosquito pool in the uncovered door and ruin the panel they bothered to put on the other one...
Old 03-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #18

I'm not big on sliders, so I won't be worrying about that! Roadtrek makes a model with a slider. I wonder what they do to prevent the sort of problem you mention. Probably have the insides of the doors covered, with no pockets.

Sportsmobile is reluctant to cut anything that is structural support. So the question is, does that cross-beam provide structural support? I'd guess so, why else would it be there? What I can't quite tell from the photo is whether that cross-beam simply connects the door's inside panel or whether it also fills the space between the inside panel and the exterior of the door. If it's the former, no need to cut it, as things would slide behind it (and be less likely to rattle around). If it's the latter, it might be an interesting challenge to do something with it.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #19

Looks like the latter, and I'm not talking about making the hole in the face bigger, just the space behind it.

My guess is crash/crumple/dent protection for the door- sound deadening for a hollow space or something. I'd have to look at one, but have a hard time believing that it would do more damage to the vehicle as a whole than any other modification.

Since I can't resist a sketch:
Attached Thumbnails
sprinter_door_space.jpg  
Old 03-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #20
Site Team

Jage, you're so handy, it's like you're the Martha Stewart of Sportsmobiles.