Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by choochee View Post
well it seems like the consensus is that i'm going to need to but a hole in the penthouse.

gulp....

i guess 86Scotty's link is the one the follow?!?!

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...nty-17265.html

what could possibly go wrong?!
Very little. Think of it this way: Every RV ever made has a roof vent in it. Most have a roof air unit as well, a few holes for fridge vent, plumbing vent, TV antenna, stove/oven vent, skylight in the bathroom, etc. Fiberglass is easy and fun, and easy to repair a mistake.

I'm no expert but have done 5 or 6 of these. I have done in them in metal roofs as well with no problems but still I think you'd be unhappy with the wind noise putting one between the seats.

I can think of 10 or more folks here that have put one in their PH top and I've never heard a complaint.

YMMV
Batteries not included
Must be present to win
Tax, tag, title not included
etc.
etc.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:05 PM   #22

I have a high top van and I love this fan. Have the ten speed, manual open model. Have been in heavy rains recently in SoCal and it never leaked, whether open or closed. Have run 75 MPH with it fully open with no issues, including coming home from camping today. The van is on the driveway right now with the vent open. I only close it if we are cold, or the AC is on.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #23

Can anyone with the dark lid verify that it’s black or just tinted?

I’m prolly gonna pull the trigger soon, on a fan
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by regis101 View Post
Can anyone with the dark lid verify that it’s black or just tinted?

I’m prolly gonna pull the trigger soon, on a fan
From the outside it doesn't look like it is but its tinted.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-2507.jpg  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:22 PM   #25

Correct, tinted but pretty dark. They block a lot of light. The Transit in my avatar to the left had 2 in it and I had no complaints sleeping during the day as long as I put Reflectix in all the windows.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:14 AM   #26

Nice. Thanks for the replies.
I had had a smoke tint vent cover in one of my past vehicles. I liked the extra light it provided but didn't like that one part of the day when the suns rays beamed in while napping. Moot point. I made a cardboard blank for it and all was well.
Thanks again.
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:52 PM   #27

We make CNC'd PVC adapters to accommodate the roof curvature of pop tops. They also stabilize the area around the hole and provide a flat surface for the vent flange. An easy way to define the curved shape of our adapter is to place a 17" long straight edge across the roof so that the gap at each end is the same. Then measure the gap. That is the chord height. Provide that measurement to us and we can produce and adapter to fit the roof. We have done this for many different pop tops with a slightly arched roof.

We also have magnetically attached insulated vent covers that go on the inside to block light and noise when the vent is not being used. They can also be folded over so only 1/3 of the hole is open. This still provides plenty of air flow while still blocking light and noise.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098
Follow the link at our website to check out these items our ebay store or just call or text my phone if you need assistance.
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hein View Post
We make CNC'd PVC adapters to accommodate the roof curvature of pop tops. They also stabilize the area around the hole and provide a flat surface for the vent flange. An easy way to define the curved shape of our adapter is to place a 17" long straight edge across the roof so that the gap at each end is the same. Then measure the gap. That is the chord height. Provide that measurement to us and we can produce and adapter to fit the roof. We have done this for many different pop tops with a slightly arched roof.

We also have magnetically attached insulated vent covers that go on the inside to block light and noise when the vent is not being used. They can also be folded over so only 1/3 of the hole is open. This still provides plenty of air flow while still blocking light and noise.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098
Follow the link at our website to check out these items our ebay store or just call or text my phone if you need assistance.
Sorry, maybe I missed it but I can only find the ones for standard van roofs, not for the penthouse/pop top. Can you post a direct link?
optionsexplored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #29

We've ordered the Maxxair Deluxe 7500k model for our new Colorado Camper Van top. We've never had a roof fan, so this should be a nice upgrade. But we often carry stuff on our roof, like raft frames, sea kayaks, Yakima Skybox, etc. Does anyone know if the Maxxair sits proud of roof rack bars? I'd hate to smash our new (and rather expensive) fan.
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:49 AM   #30

Depends on the mounts/bars you have and how high they stick up. Maxxair fans do sit up a few inches higher than Fantastic (or other older style) and you wouldn't be able to open it and use it if you had things on your bars. With that 7500 you'll have electric open/close I think so make sure no one presses the button while you have things on the roof.

Good luck

Edit: just found this. 5" above roof closed, 9.3" open. That will not clear most bars.

https://rbcomponents.com/products/ma...luxe-roof-vent