Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #21

Re: My SMB Indiana Sprinter building experience

They can do it! Visited SMB-IN today to see my build progress. Good timing, since this morning they figured out how to install the PowerTech diesel generator, without voiding the warranties for the generator or van. They removed a small transverse rib (not a warranty issue) and removed some brackets on the generator to have them rebuilt to fit the situation. The photo shows the generator and the space above where it will go. The hitch on the right is not in the way. All is good! I will post more photos tomorrow.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamadave
They can do it! Visited SMB-IN today to see my build progress. Good timing, since this morning they figured out how to install the PowerTech diesel generator, without voiding the warranties for the generator or van. They removed a small transverse rib (not a warranty issue) and removed some brackets on the generator to have them rebuilt to fit the situation. The photo shows the generator and the space above where it will go. The hitch on the right is not in the way. All is good! I will post more photos tomorrow.
.....,,,,, told ya it can be done!........ looks like a SIMPLE modification ..............
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #23

Here are some more photos of my visit to SMB-IN yesterday. Chad and all are doing a great job!

Below left shows the back of the generator and the hitch showing that the MBz hitch is well out of the way.

Below right shows some minimal insulation behind the rear windows. This window space will have a slot for storing the electric cable on one side and a hose on the other.

On the roof we have two solar panels, brackets for the awning, 4G antenna, GPS antenna, CB antenna (left photo, antennas listed left to right). The hole to the right of these antennas is for the fan. The right photo shows the FM and SiriusXM antennas. Photo below that shows the holes for the A/C and TV antenna (crank-up Winegard). Six antennas! (Seven counting the MBz radio antenna on the front).

Another photo of the PowerTech diesel generator. Note the access door on the back for changing oil and coolant.

The 40 lb propane tank and access door on the right:

Now to the inside. Here is the 40 gal fresh water tank sitting approximately where it will go under the foot of the bed. Not sure yet where the 2 gal accumulator tank will go.

Below is left side directly behind the driver seat. Note the insulation and note where they removed a vertical rib to make room for the propane water heater where there will be a 12x12" cut in the side of the van. Inside of this there will be a 1/2" plywood panel which will provide a little more insulation. Water pipes will go behind the bath on the bottom left side of this photo. You can see why I am concerned about freezing pipes when camping in single digit weather. Click on my signature to see the water system design that will solve the freezing pipe issue. Chad has agreed to install everything on my drawing labeled "After mods by owner" as long as I provide special parts.

The clear tube below is the vent for the black tank.

Below shows the passenger side in progress. The pre-wiring is all done.

I will return to Huntington and report back when the plumbing is ready to go in.

David
Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonSt
Dave,
I have the forward cabinet that Sportsmobile installed under the cabin headliner as well. And it is stuffed with window curtains, blankets etc.

In my case, I still get condensation up above the stock MBZ headliner. I think that all of that space up there holds whatever humidity is in the outside air as you are using the van during the day. When the outside temperature drops, that moisture clings to the bare metal and starts dripping along the contour of the bare metal ceiling. Here is a pic of the space above the dome light, as you can see there is lot's of space up there.
The problem of course is rust. But a more immediate problem is water dripping on the electronics inside of the dome light assembly (factory alarm, auto windshield wiper control, etc.)

-don
Don, I discussed this with Jim and Chad at SMB-IN yesterday. They do not see how there could be a problem and I am inclined to agree. To get significant condensation there needs to be a continuously flowing source of air up there. The main source of humidity in the van are the propane stove and the shower. Most of this will end up on the windows in cold weather, and when the windows start fogging up we will open some of them and maybe use the fan so it doesn't get too bad. We will make sure there are no openings into the headliner space to allow air to get up there. If it gets so bad there is dripping, I think the windows will be dripping much worse and causing other problems.

Have you really had dripping on the dash and not water streaming down your windows? Have you looked for a path for air to get up there?

In the photo below you will see some screws at the top. They put a board in back that will be used to support the back of the cabinet. This will provide some insulation and will help block air flow.

David

Old 12-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #25

Quote:

Have you really had dripping on the dash and not water streaming down your windows? Have you looked for a path for air to get up there?

In the photo below you will see some screws at the top. They put a board in back that will be used to support the back of the cabinet. This will provide some insulation and will help block air flow.

David
I had water dripping from the vents on the plastic dome (maybe only 3 or 4 drops. It dripped right on the floor beneath. I also had dripping from where the sun visor mounts on the passenger side.
Just curious, what is to be installed in the rectangular hole above your dome light?
DonSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonSt
Just curious, what is to be installed in the rectangular hole above your dome light?
Don, that hole is a single DIN slot and I plan to put my CB in there. I could not find a CB that is meant to go in a DIN slot, so I bought a small one (Uniden PRO520XL) and will make something out of wood to fill in the extra space.

My 4G iPhone ATT wireless antenna cable will also come out of that slot and I will mount the bracket for that right next to the opening. I bought this: Wilson Sleek 4G-A Signal Booster from http://3gstore.com/. I have tried it and it changes 1 bar to 4 bars on my iPhone 5 and lets me browse on my laptop at blazing speed with the iPhone local WiFi hotspot.

David
Old 12-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #27

Progress! Visited Huntington yesterday after about 2.5 weeks of building. Wow, this is getting exciting!

Everything is on the roof and the diesel generator is mounted. Starting from the back they installed the large cabinet over the foot of the bed and got most of the plumbing and electric installed.

Below is the large cabinet with two small compartments that face front. There will be two vertical dividers with shelves in the center. Below the foot of the bed from left to right is the water tank, water pump, and electric system. The bed is supported by three removable 2x4s that are piled up in the photo but will be spaced out over the supports along the sides. This way the bed is easily removed in case I need temporary hauling space. The pipes are cut to length but not crimped yet so I could check things. Everything will be installed by SMB that is on my plan except the pressure regulator which I can easily add later.

Below are the left and right side dinette sections. The Espar D2 furnace had to be installed backwards because of clearance problems under the van. You can see the intake on the forward end of the furnace; the hot output duct will have to bend over the top and exit the forward end of the cabinet then travel all along the front base of the galley.

The other photo shows where the accumulator tank will go. Under the rear of the dinette is the fill for the water coolant for the diesel generator.

Working our way forward, below is the base for the shower and the black tank.

Below is the large rear cabinet viewed from the front and photo below that is the cabinet over the cockpit.

Here is another view of the passenger side dinette seat and the cabinets above it.

Finally here is the view from the sliding door and under the van where the black tank drain pipe cuts through.

I will return to Huntington Friday to bring Vanessa back to my home in West Lafayette so I can install the audio/video system while SMB is on break. I will return it on Jan 1.

David
Old 12-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren85022
One comment on your hot water. My heater is About that distance from the sink. We waste water that's in the line waiting for the warm stuff. It adds up quick.
Loren, if you look at my water system diagram here: http://davidelmore.com/Sportsmobile.php about half way down the page (the after mods by owner version), you will see a hot water line that goes from the furthest sink back to the fresh water tank. When I open the valve under the galley sink, water runs until it gets hot without wasting any water. It goes back in the tank for re-use.

David
Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #29
Site Team

Garage

So David, what made you go with the D-2 Airtronic instead of a larger model?

BTW your rig looks like it's coming along great...nice job so far.

Savor the moment, it's a great feeling and something I'll never forget although it did take a bit longer for me getting it out of the shop on my delivery date. I got outside and thought I'd try the lockers but it made the alarm activate Should have seen the looks on SMB's techs Test everything. Still I expect such things with these vehicles...nature of the beast.

Will be looking for pics once you're on the road

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
So David, what made you go with the D-2 Airtronic instead of a larger model?
Dave
I originally specified the Espar D4, but the only place we could install is next to the dually wheel well, and SMB Indiana told me the D4 would not fit there. They also told me that the D2 will provide plenty of heat. Also, I have read that if you under-utilize these furnaces they give more trouble.

I have my van home now while SMB is on break, and am using the D2. It heats the van up to 35 degrees above the outside temperature. The insulation on the doors and front windows is not installed yet and the bed is not in so I expect it to heat to 40 or 45 degrees above outside temps when done. When plugged in we can do the rest with an electric heater. This will be fine for our expected use.

David