Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #31

My SMB-S Build

They just asked me how extensive I want the dynamat. I think everywhere in addition to insulation. Anybody think whole cab and walls sufficient? Is your sprinter louder than you would like?

ilovegt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #32

My SMB-S Build

Also (with flame suit on) anybody have recent feedback with renntech ecu tuning for 2012 models? And yes I did search this forum and the sprinter forum- I like the idea of 260hp and 426 lb/ft torque. Overkill is my middle name... no not actually.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #33

Re: My SMB-S Build

I don't know what MB puts in the doors for insulation or noise reduction. They make up a significant amount of exposed surface area after buldout, I would consider installing it in them if there is room. Don't mess with the doors if you have sup airbags.
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #34

My SMB-S Build

No the fleet vans have no supplemental airbags and the rest of van is a blank slate. We were able to retrofit rear oem privacy glass with defrosters.

Has anyone had experience with backup cameras? Debating regular rear view vs high downward rear view and whether it is worth it to install side turn camera system through secondary monitor. Larger rv's have them but this is "only" 19 ft- a fact that is making me nervous and hatching a plan to pull out some cones and go back to the beginning of drivers ed in a parking lot for practice.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #35

Hey I can help here...

I have the backup camera option on my Kenwood and it is invaluable to me.

It has several options as far as viewing angles, can split to emphasize the sides, etc...

It was not that expensive considering the systems involved and the camera is very discreet.

For the view I have out the back with the couch back in the way and reduced size due to the window shrouds it is very handy.

I would do it again, definitely.

Thanks.

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #36

i too have the same Kenwood rear camera and agree that it very helpful and has multiple view settings. Ours is mounted just above the third stop light. Kinda of easy to bump but it stays way cleaner in muddy or dusty roads.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #37

One of the things I really like about the backup camera is the night vision. I paid for a backup light and really don't see that I need it (I may have gotten more of a spot than a flood though so that might be it).

Spenard, how is it working for you at night?

Thanks.

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #38

well, we have not had much darkness to maneuver in till recently, and we are now parked for winter - first snowfall was Saturday. But driving it up from the lower 48 last spring it did fine, it seems to have a night vision component because we could see pretty well at night in the view override mode without the stock van back up lights engaged.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #39

Spenard, I kind of envy you. When I lived in Juneau I remember the long days and then the long nights. It is just so different. No wimps in Alaska.

I am impressed with the backup camera and would definitely do it again. I can't speak for the factory version though. I am actually wishing I had set a camera up low on the front end so I could see where the front end is and what might attack the generator. Probably not practical but told that some have done it before.

Chumley
Old 10-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #40

My SMB-S Build

Guys,

Got a/v stuff locked down. Debating 3m clear bra for front- has anybody tried this?

Interior plan set except for color cherry with tan and black leather vs dove gray with gray and black leather. I am also planning stainless appliances and a stainless steel trim panel under ph bed. Anybody think the cherry makes things dark or small?