Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #41

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Re: My SMB-S Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegt100
Debating 3m clear bra for front- has anybody tried this?
I took mine right from Sportsmobile to A&P Detailing in Fresno. I had him do the hood, front fenders and rocker panels. Do not recall the cost. They did not have templates for Sprinters then - maybe they do now.

Still have the 3M - no yellow,etc and it helped a lot when we went to Alaska.

Regards,

Keith

Old 10-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #42

My SMB-S Build

Chumley,

It turns out my lightbar will not be legal in virginia unless it is covered and only used on unpaved roads. I have therefore reconsidered either a Flir camera or a pivoting golight. How do you like yours? Is it noisy at speed?
ilovegt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #43

Hey Benji,

I have not really used the GoLight yet but it does not appear to make any discernable noise up there. Kinda forgot it was up there.

I really think I coud become very annoying with that thing. I can only imagine looking in on cars weaving down the road at night to see someone texting. That oughta make 'em excrete.

The backup LED light should come in handy with those guys following with their high beams on. He, he...

Hmmm... this could be fun...

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Chumley,

It turns out my lightbar will not be legal in virginia unless it is covered and only used on unpaved roads. I have therefore reconsidered either a Flir camera or a pivoting golight. How do you like yours? Is it noisy at speed?
If an uncovered lightbar is illegal in Virginia, chances are an uncovered golight (or any uncovered light) would be illegal as well. Here in Calif, all auxiliary lights above a certain height must be covered while on the road.

Herb
Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #45

Herb,

I got the GoLight and when it is "parked" it faces towards the rear. SMB West told me that becasue it was pointed in that direction it is legal to run uncovered. It also is rounded on the back so makes no wind noise that I can hear and protects what looks like an expensive light.

Maybe someone knows for sure if I am wrong about how legal it is in California but then my backup light would be a problem too...

Help.

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger
Quote:
Debating 3m clear bra for front- has anybody tried this?
I took mine right from Sportsmobile to A&P Detailing in Fresno. I had him do the hood, front fenders and rocker panels. Do not recall the cost. They did not have templates for Sprinters then - maybe they do now.

Still have the 3M - no yellow,etc and it helped a lot when we went to Alaska.

Regards,

Keith
Maybe I should start another thread for this, but you mention taking your SMB to Alaska. We are seriously considering ordering one (visited the Fresno factory this morning and had a good session with Alan), but are concerned about Sprinter service availabilty out in the great beyond in the US, Canada, and Alaska. We very much want to go to Alaska and love camping in Canada and northern US. We have had BMWs for a long time, and are well aware that you can be hundred(s) of miles from the nearest dealer in some of those places.

Did / do you worry about this with your Sprinter, and particularly taking it to Alaska?

Bob and Nancy
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #47

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.

I do not worry about it. We have been beyond the Artic Circle and plan to go further next time. A least two thousand miles of dirt roads, jeep trails in California, Arizona, and a round trip to Orlando. The Sprinter is sold world wide and has a great record. There are thousands here in the US that run everyday, all day with no problems.

I carry an extra fuel filter, belt and the other stuff - air compressor, recovery strap - stuff you need off road or out in the sticks. I carried the same with our Eurovans.

We went to Alaska 3 months after picking it up from SMB - a five week adventure we will never forget!

Go for it! Get out there!

Regards,

Keith
Old 10-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #48

My SMB-S Build

I am adding an awning window for the slider and an inline water filter for the 33.5 gallon fresh tank. Does anyone have some thoughts on inside mounted tank heaters to prevent freezing?

Also, working will Ally to secure financing today. Did anyone purchase extended MB warranties or prepaid service? How about that good sam membership or extended rv warranty? Thanks in advance.

After working this out, a trip to alaska sounds killer... Maybe I'll start by camping in my driveway, then to the local national forest, and then what could possibly go wrong?

My pickup date is pushed back to Mid-jan in Austin. Any suggestions of places to go en route back to DC? I am thinking a gulf coast and florida leg then up the coast... If only I didn't have to expose myself to I95...
ilovegt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #49

I have a plan for recirculating water from the hot water heater back to the fresh water tank which will keep the fresh water tank and all the water lines, both hot and cold, from freezing. A thermostatic tempering valve goes next to the fresh water tank with the cold inlet plugged so when the water gets to the tank it slows down to a dribble so the tank will not get too hot (I hope, this needs testing). So the valve under the kitchen sink will be left open all the time in freezing weather. Here is the plan:

I will try this when my van is done, late December or early January. SMB will install their usual system.

I will post results when done. Let me know if the design is not clear or if there are any questions or if you think there is a better way. I considered a tank heater but I think this might work better. In addition to this I have the return air for the Espar D2 diesel furnace going behind the bathroom and by the tank and all the water lines. Click on Vanessa below to see more diagrams.

David
Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #50

How cold do you expect it to get? I think the water and lines being on the inside of the insulation wouldn't be too likely to freeze while you are camping or on the road.

Regards,

Keith