Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #51

Re: My SMB-S Build

I would like to handle winter trips in the Midwest which means zero F at night and teens during the day. I expect the Espar D2 furnace will bring the van up to only the 50s in a cold spell. There is no insulation in the floor and a lot of steel pathways in the sides. The gray tanks will freeze but the main thing that I don't want is to have to winterize the water system for a cold night or two on the way south or for a mountain pass.

David

Old 12-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #52

My SMB-S Build

It has begun...
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356005103.527166.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356005114.339299.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356005124.539827.jpg  
ilovegt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #53

My SMB-S Build

More...
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356005164.672683.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356005172.156036.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356005182.172384.jpg  
Old 12-20-2012, 05:09 AM   #54

My SMB-S Build

Not going to make the section 179 deduction by 12/31 but hopefully going to Austin by mid-Jan. Anybody recommend place to break in van near there? Taking a week to drive around and smell the roses before Texas leaves the union...
Old 12-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #55

Re: My SMB-S Build Water System winterizing

Hi David, your van is looking great. I just re looked at your late October water system diagram and did not see a recirc pump on the HW line to keep the water system warm at the back of the van. Will the pump be manually controlled? I would suggest a couple of digital temp sensors on the cold water system at tanks so you will know when the heat is needed. Depending on the location of your van heat and interior circulation the cold water lines are probably more vulnerable to freezing first than the tanks. You could have the circulation pumps (see next paragraph) controlled by set points from the sensor

On our Bush and Interior Alaska projects my mech engineering consultants usually put separate circulating pumps on both the hot water and the cold water lines to reduce the chance of pipes freezing and to keep the coldwater from getting too warm from the adjacent hw line.

SMB usually vent the sink traps through the van wall right behind the faucets. Make sure they or you insulated that area as this space does not get much heat from the inside and you could freeze the faucet connection lines which typically are not on the circulation loops.
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #56

Re: My SMB-S Build Water System winterizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenard
I would suggest a couple of digital temp sensors on the cold water system at tanks so you will know when the heat is needed.
This is a good idea. I will install a remote digital thermometer where I think it will be coldest.
Quote:
Depending on the location of your van heat and interior circulation the cold water lines are probably more vulnerable to freezing first than the tanks. You could have the circulation pumps (see next paragraph) controlled by set points from the sensor.

On our Bush and Interior Alaska projects my mech engineering consultants usually put separate circulating pumps on both the hot water and the cold water lines to reduce the chance of pipes freezing and to keep the coldwater from getting too warm from the adjacent hw line.
The neat thing about my water system is that it does not require an extra pump, and all cold and hot water lines are protected. The main water pump will move water through the hot water heater then to the furthest faucet (galley sink) then dribble back to the fresh water tank. The pump will not run often since I have a 2 gallon expansion tank. The cold water lines are protected since they will be cable tied to the hot water lines.
Quote:
SMB usually vent the sink traps through the van wall right behind the faucets. Make sure they or you insulated that area as this space does not get much heat from the inside and you could freeze the faucet connection lines which typically are not on the circulation loops.
My furnace duct will go through the bottom of these cabinets so they will be plenty warm.

David
Old 12-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #57

Benji,

I was at SMB TX the 2nd week of December and was able to see your van sitting outside waiting to get onto the production line, those Alcoa wheels really look sharp on this vehicle! I also noticed what appeared to be a camera located in the front in the MB star area, could that be an IR camera? I took a look at the radar detector you are having installed, that's one serious system, I'm following you if I see you on the road and headed the same direction!

Looking forward to watching your build.

Don
DonMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #58

My SMB-S Build

Thx. Yeah that's the FLIR. I am using this vehicle for search and rescue, support and gear, mobile office, bug out vehicle, and road trip shaggin wagon. Need some toys you know

Paul and the guys there have been great to work with. I don't have a firm delivery date yet but the pics have me quite excited but worried at same time as I have never tried to design and build something without ever stepping foot in showroom. Here's to dreaming...

Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356162741.806009.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356162755.072502.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356162767.056053.jpg  
Old 12-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #59

My SMB-S Build

And
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356162791.872414.jpg  
Old 12-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #60

One comment on your hot water. My heater is About that distance from the sink. We waste water that's in the line waiting for the warm stuff. It adds up quick.