Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #81

My SMB-S Build

It was good meeting y'all. Let me know if u ever want to swing through DC. I went to New Orleans and gulf shores state park yesterday. Highly recommend- never knew gulf coast could be that pretty or oil free. Heading to savannah and Columbia today. Just passed 1400 miles! Guess that I can let her loose now that I am past the break in period

ilovegt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #82

My SMB-S Build

Up to 16.9 mpg by keeping acceleration rpm below 2k but still averaging 75-80. Anybody have any tips short of slowing down?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #83

Re: My SMB-S Build

Did you weight your rig while fully loaded yet? you should get better MPG then that, unless your maxed out @ 8990. I have a 3500 ,maxed @ over 11000, and I get 17mpg(I have a lead foot also) A scan gauge will help you to monitor important info, other than PRMs much better. This forum is GREAT for info on conversions, but limited on running/repairing and knowledge of how a sprinter really works. Join the sprinter forum, http://sprinter-source.com/forum/ and do some research there on the scan gauge and how to use it effectively. Pay close attention to posts by http://sprinter-source.com/forum/member.php?u=2639 on the scan gauge ,you could even PM him(PM>>not a vistor message), Roger is a great guy and knows sprinters and how to set up and use the scan gauge very well
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #84

heres the newest thread on the scan gauge http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24632 look at post 4
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #85

My SMB-S Build

Spoke too soon. Anyone guess what's wrong with this picture? Extra points given to anyone who can identify what this used to be...
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359665288.059017.jpg  
Old 01-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #86

My SMB-S Build

By the way, up to 18mpg if I don't count the fuel used by the espar heater to winterize the vehicle all day long.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #87
Site Team

I'm guessing that is a special no-output alternator. Or maybe an alternative engine block heater that uses fire?

Did everything else survive?

Herb
Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #88

Geez, did that come out of your rig?

I am going with late model Chernobyl alternator. Maybe you should've gone with a Mr. Fusion home reactor. Looks like the flir consumes a little more power than thought?

Good luck with that one.

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #89

My SMB-S Build

Ding ding ding! We have a winner... Though not from the flir. Rest of system seems to be intact- this was 2nd alternator 360 amp. Getting replaced once they figure out the tiny problem of the voltage regulator not causing my van to catch fire. I am such a whiner.

Should have a fix soon and will keep you amused. It worked great for the past 2 weeks. Is that the average life span of these things- probably not... But I am not an engineer.

Ilovegt100
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #90

Ohh man that looks bad. Hope the wife isn't reaming you about the van now.
Guess it couldn't keep up with that massive bank of lithium-ions.
skijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote