Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #151

Re: My SMB Sprinter Van conversion building experience

We had the yin, now we have the yang.

When we started down this long winding path to Sportmobile ownership we had a dream. Sportsmobile does more than any other manufacturer of this type of vehicle to help build a dream, an image of just getting away. They have ads in places like Overland Magazine that really hit the spot. I wasn't looking for the 4x4 advenutre but still wanted that free spirited getaway right-now ability in my driveway. Only a few manufacturers have developed this kind of image and developed a following like this one, that I know of.

Our dream included a comfortable place to just hang out and do our thing anywhere we wanted. From having a sitting room with a view to read and lounge, to a launch pad for short adventures, we wanted it to be easy to drive and keep in the driveway. We got it, here it is.

A sitting room.

With a view.

Just like Hermione's purse.

With nice functional touches.

For the family.

This is just a small sampling of why some of us build a Sportsmobile instead of going to RV-Mart and picking up a Genericmobile.

When it is all said and done and you buy direct from the manufacturer like with Sportsmobile you cut out a layer of the sales chain, basically buying factory direct. If you add on the $10,000 plus or something that an RV dealer would have to add in to keep these rigs on the showroom and employ sales people just to show them these rigs become very good values. Add in the much longer warranty and much more solid build feel and you have a bargain.

Sometime I need to sell myself again on these things. I think I just did. If I could just remove about 4 weeks of memories this would be the perfect dream.

Time to bury this thread with positive posts.

Thanks.

Chumley.

Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #152

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Looks like the "kids" love it ! Very nice.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #153

Nice looking build.
BTW we liked a visual trick that outside van does to make the exterior looking sleeker. We carefully removed the adhesively applied "2500" (3500 in your case) "bluetec" badges off the sides and rear and the "sprinter" off the rear door with our fingers and a plastic putty knife. Makes it way easier to clean the van and the exterior looks custom and less cluttered. Do it now if you are going to do it, before the adhesive tape gets really hard and the paint dulls. Nope, we kept the MB hood badge -hey we paid a lot of money for that
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #154

Keith, We built this van now because of our dogs. The male has severe emotional issues. They were a product of a bad backyard breeder who kept them in a kennel for the six months before we got them. They were never socialized and their mother apparently had fear and aggression issues but the breeder wanted to make money, not strengthen the breed. We paid full price for them but we call them rescues now. They are considered to be vulnerable breed which means that the breed may not survive here in the US. There are only 100 of these Lancashire Heelers in the US that are documented but they are growing in Europe. He is our hero. He went from almost being put down due to his fear issues to being more relaxed than his sister now, yes we defiantly adopted siblings. It actually turned out to be a good thing with their emotional issues, they are each other's support group. It is just so adorable to watch them interact, cleaning each other's ears or licking each other's faces (translated to mean affection by a human). They have the best souls and it has taken a couple of years to get them to their current "bat guano crazy" state but it is miles from where we started. No matter what, these two will be properly cared for. They have been through so much and as is typical of dogs they they forget and just want to be happy, so they are, so we are.

One of our best memories on our trip to the Sierras was seeing them knowing that the van was theirs and running to it and then going tot he couch and staking out a spot after digging up the layers of towels to make a bed. That brought huge smiles to our faces. That's what it's all about.

I know many members plan around their pets and understand what I am talking about. It is a family thing.

Thanks.

Chumley.
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #155

Spenard, I like the idea of removing badges. I think I may do some cleaning up. I think I will keep the 3500 badging as well as the "Sportsmobile.com" on the sides.

I was warned that the van might attract attention but I figured that it was just a proud proclamation by an SMB staffer. I really didn't know it would come true.

On our trip to the Sierras my wife kept on pointing out that people were looking at us when we went by. I went to the post office and spent about 10 minutes telling a lady all about the van and the company. I have driven the thing all of maybe 4-5 times and it is already really evident that these things get attention.

So to keep things simple I think I will keep the Sportsmobile labeling so I can just point and act like I just left the dentist and can't talk.

Thanks.

Chumley
Old 10-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #156

we kept the smb logos for the same reason
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #157

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumley
They repaired the leak but then I asked them where all of the water went that I saw gushing down the wall. It does not appear that they had thought about it but then said that the weep holes would let it drain.
I hope nothing shows up later. I hate surprises.

I put this in right by the back doors.
I tell people who ask that after we ford a river I come back here and drain all the water out . . . I think some of them believe me.

Regards,

Keith
Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #158

So Keith, is that your rear shower floor? Or...?

It has warmed up so if there is any water I think it is likely drying out. We had a spell of unusually cool weather and even some rain but yesterday and today are unseasonably warm, as they say, and in the 80s/90s.

I hope that takes care of any moisture concerns.

Thanks.

Chumley
Old 10-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #159

Spenard, I removed the extra badging and the difference is surprising considering that I only removed 4 in total, well 7 if you include the ones on the windows.

The plastic stockers all came off very easily too so I am even more of a minimalist in appearance.

Thanks for the idea.

Chumley
Old 10-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumley
So Keith, is that your rear shower floor? Or...?

It has warmed up so if there is any water I think it is likely drying out. We had a spell of unusually cool weather and even some rain but yesterday and today are unseasonably warm, as they say, and in the 80s/90s.

I hope that takes care of any moisture concerns.

Thanks.

Chumley
I had that added as I thought I could eventually come up with an emergency shower idea. Haven't been dirty enough to give it much consideration.

Keith