Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #171

Re: My SMB Sprinter Van conversion building experience

Chumley,
Thanks for the info on your build.
Not sure why the RB and EB would have different requirements for the window behind the slider.
To me the slider would be identical on both models with the EB just being longer in the body with room for another window.

re the microwave, let us know more about using that in the future.

re the throne, time to take that thing for a test run and break it in

re the fridge - very interesting. will keep that model in mind when the time comes.
nice having that extra space and still keeping it under the counter.

there are so many aspects to a build that you have to learn it's mind boggling for me. a lot of planning and decisions required. be happy you are done with that phase.

when is your next trip and where?
I get the feeling you haven't truly camped in this thing yet because of the water problem you had. I guess the weather hasn't been ideal in your area lately. Cheers!

windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #172

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger
I have two awning type windows on the right side. One replaced the original glass that was in the door and the other is in the next panel. As far as I know, it does not have a limiter. It would be a good idea.
Regards,
Keith
thanks for the input Keith.
maybe since your build was an early Sprinter conversion SMBW added the limiters later on after some windows got hit when customers didn't close them enough.
If you had to do it again, would you add the awning to the slider window?
I think I would still go with the awning. It is better in the rain.
As soon as I forget one day and break it with the door I will probably change what's left of my mind.

Presley and I will be camping tonight in the Tehachapi area. Love my SMB!
Old 10-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #173

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have two awning type windows on the right side. One replaced the original glass that was in the door and the other is in the next panel. As far as I know, it does not have a limiter. It would be a good idea.
Regards,
Keith
thanks for the input Keith.
maybe since your build was an early Sprinter conversion SMBW added the limiters later on after some windows got hit when customers didn't close them enough.
I think I would still go with the awning. It is better in the rain.
As soon as I forget one day and break it with the door I will probably change what's left of my mind.

Presley and I will be camping tonight in the Tehachapi area. Love my SMB!
thanks Keith. Have a great trip!

I'm sure there are advantages to both styles of vents for windows.
My question was targeted more about having a ventable window on the sliding door.
I gather most builds are done with a fixed window for the slider.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #174

Steve, I am always glad to be able to help another member. You apparently experienced an instantaneous coffee sinus irrigation, sounds like it can be painful. Dr. Oz recommends using a neti pot for routine sinus irrigation but if you've got coffee, some time and some spare room on your keyboard then... Glad I could help.

Keith and Windguy, the windows on the passenger side can be confusing. I thought that I was getting the window next to the sliding door with an operable vent (awning type window) with a limiter. I was then told that they didn't do it on the RB and it was a mistake. The longer wheelbase models have another window between the rear operable awning window and the sliding door and even they have limiters on them. If I were to do it again I would order the van without the factory window on the slider. I would ask SMB to install an operable awning window in the slider even though I don't remember seeing it anywhere. C.R. Laurence, who supplies the aftermarket windows to SMB, does make one and I would ask about it. I would then ask them to put in an awning window with a limiter on the rear most vent and leave the front vent fixed. This would provide the cross flow we were looking for. I did not get any recommendations from SMB about what could be done but maybe I did not express myself well or they were not thinking in this manner. Oh well.

We are heading out in a couple weeks and are really looking forward to it. We will end up heading to the Southwest via a more southerly route than usual since it is so late in the season and will try to avoid the higher mountain passes. Right now the plan is to head south and run near the Mexican border through Arizona and New Mexico to western Texas. I have never seen Texas or a saguaro cactus so look forward to this. I will be staying on the main highways since I have been warned to be careful near the border due to the Mexican drug cartel activity. I was at a meeting this morning and was told by one of the attendees that his company is issuing constant internal warnings for employees working in Texas near the border but then said that they are moving in on Atlanta due to the transportation hub status so... I met another city official that told me some pretty sad stuff about what is going on and apparently he knows quite a bit about it. Bottom line, me traveling with a pretty lady and two ankle biting dogs in what looks like a desert camo rolling command post is not going to take chances and we miss some stuff and stay on the main highways. Shame. We will head north into New Mexico and maybe see some places like Silver City and Ruidoso before heading to the Santa Fe area. I am already dreaming about the southwest red and green chile sauces. I may be spending some quality time with that porta potti after a couple days of the lava like sauce... Maybe have time to go to the Utah canyon country and hit Wheeler Peak in Nevada but who knows, we have no set plans yet.

Planning a trip with no set itinerary is why we got the Sportsmobile so we can't wait to live the dream. We have absoultely no chance to do a shakedown trip so we are going on faith that Charlie is well and ready. Also hope we know how to use everything too... I guess we'll be finding out.

Thanks.

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #175

Hi Chumley,

I highly recommend that you camp out in your driveway a couple of nights while there is still time to fix any new problems before your trip and to make a list of other things to pack. You should test all the systems with some sleeping, cooking, washing, and the other consequences of eating (yes, bite the bullet and use the potty, and empty it). These are mostly things you need to do anyway and should not take too much extra time. Let us know how it goes.

David
Old 10-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #176

Chumley,
Thanks for the update on the windows.
Your trip sounds marvelous. nice area of the country to explore.
David's camp out suggestion sounds like a really good idea to me. Something to consider.
Cheers!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #177

I greatly appreciate the effort to journal your SMB build process and details provided. At some point I may go with a Sprinter conversion.

But I'd also agree with the statement below:

Quote:
It's obvious Chumley is more detailed oriented than most. And, his posts can certainly lead one to think that maybe he has crossed the line at places. I think part of the issue is his near-real-time journaling of the process, without the time needed for the frustration to subside
The swings from euphoria to despair and back have been numerous. With any complex and iterative process, taking a few steps back and waiting for a process to play-out fully before rendering a verdict can be helpful.

R
Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #178

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Quote:
Oh. That "slider". Probably not. Insurance did pay for it but we don't use it that often.

Regards,

Keith
Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #179

Like most Ford SMBs, we have slider windows on the sides. I really wish they were awning windows, though, as whenever it rains we have to close the sliders, which made for some really hot nights camping this summer. My neighbor has a Roadtrek van with awning windows, and he leave them open all the time, even when his van is parked in his driveway, for airflow and to decrease musty-van scenario.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #180
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Like most Ford SMBs, we have slider windows on the sides. I really wish they were awning windows, though, as whenever it rains we have to close the sliders, which made for some really hot nights camping this summer. My neighbor has a Roadtrek van with awning windows, and he leave them open all the time, even when his van is parked in his driveway, for airflow and to decrease musty-van scenario.
FWIW, the awning windows that were on my SMB were nice, but they did not have screens on them, so I found that somewhat limitiing in certain cases. There were plenty of times I wanted a slider window with a screen on it.

Herb