Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2017, 02:14 AM   #101

If SMB is relying on Nations Alternator for 2nd alternator and regulator we should be in good shape. Adam seems to know how these work and he's provided a very good basic schematic on how the blueprint should go.

My marine electrician has told me that as long as the basic blueprint is there running a few more wires should not be an issue.

Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #102

Most of the pushback we got from Brian was purely around the RVIA regs. Being an RVIA compliant builder opens up a lot of customers for them, but at the same time it ties their hands in a lot of aspects. I can't fault Brian for that. Short of those issues, he's been great to work with and has done a pretty good job of creating the build we wanted.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #103

I agree, Brian has a lot to juggle and I freely admit my OCD nature when I get into something is a bit much. In the end SMB builds a quality product that I know we're going to be happy with. Brian at one point mentioned he works something like 80 projects/year, so even assuming his current load is 20 (probably too small a number) that projects into dozens of emails, if not over a 100 each week. I've toned it down due to that.

On a further note, when I talked to USAA, who we use for all our insurance, they did ask about RVIA compliance. So at least initially for insurance purposes that is important.
Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinkledpants View Post
Yeah - had a $2k deposit that we lost. In the grand scheme of things - it's the least of our concerns. Bank of the West failing to bring up a requirement for owning real estate was the craziest part. It's not an unusual requirement as USAA would only loan us $50k for an RV, but will happily pay out $80k for an auto loan. We really should have run the RV app prior to putting a deposit down with SMB to ensure all was well. But, the bank rep said we were well within the limits (high 700's credit, DTI in the low teens).

In the end, I think we'll end up with a build that better fits our needs. I feel bad that Brian went through a ton of labor to get us close to what we wanted, but I guess that's what our $2k covers, lol.
Not that it helps you now, but Van Specialties is (or was ~18 months ago) a $1K, fully refundable deposit. Pics of Tourig look really nice though.
WAMTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:02 AM   #105
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryguy View Post
Wrinkledpants, sorry to hear about this as well. I have also been a bit put off by the strictures and inflexibility of SMB at times. Especially now that I've researched other upfitters who are willing to give you what you want for your $130K. In the end I think we'll be happy with the product but it does seem like we need to have a long list of post-conversion work done. I don't know why, but the fact that SMB won't even plan for a couple of carriage bolts locations for the aux tank especially peeves me.
SMB West can go pound sand as far as I am concerned. They will tell you to your face that their tops do not leak, but we all know that is not a factual statement. I was going to have them do a Penthouse top for my van and asked if I could watch them do it. They said no. They said; "if you don't trust us, we probably aren't the company you should chose." -That was all I needed to hear!

As to them keeping your $2000 dollar deposit (considering what ya experienced with the lender), that is just plain wrong! -It not like you changed your mind because you decided not to buy anything.

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:46 AM   #106
IPT

Bummer man, hope it pans out in the end. Everything happens for a reason as the saying goes. Thanks for sharing all you did!
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote