Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 11:25 PM   #91

I believe I'm going to go with the set-up Wrinkledpants has for his electrical/water. I'm also not sure I want to give up the ground clearance the XL storage would entail.

I think it will be easier for changes (ie, battery after conversion) if the battery and invertor are on one side under a dineete sette and the water tank and associated water system are on the other side. I could then perhaps decrease the full length hanging locker I have in order to put the D5 system under the bottom.

I've also been thinking of putting the D5 system under a settee and having the battery underneath the hanging locker, which would reduce the cable run from the alternator as well. A lot of this will depend on what the D5 needs, which I'm not familiar with and need to brush up on.

So working backward from the front on the drivers side would be: battery, invertor, D5.

The passengers side would be water tank and associated pumps/lines for system, as well as the outside shower on that side. I choose the passenger side for this as our galley is on that side, therefore associated water lines would have a shorter run on that side.

Of course, as we know, SMB may have other set ideas...

Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:44 AM   #92

Wrinkledpants, how's your build coming along? Curious if SMB has provided you any details at all on the electrical schematic such as alternator, Balmar regulator, field control circuit from bat-regulator, etc.

At this point I'm in the same situation as you - all I want from SMB is a viable blueprint of a lithium setup such as outlined in the Nations blueprint so I can change the battery down the road.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #93

Just to update you guys - we forfeited out position with SMB last friday. We could not get the RV financing we thought we would since we do not own real estate. Somehow, a lender will happily approve us for a half-million dollar condo or an $80k car, but they won't finance a 120K RV. One of the biggest draws of going with SMB was to finance as an RV, we just wish the lender would have told us that renting essentially disqualifies us. Not because we can't afford to own, but we love where we live and simply don't want to move. We could have purchased the van and paid cash for the build, but there were just too many compromises we had to make with SMB. We tried to see if we could just buy the van from SMB, but alas we could not.

We called our local MB dealer to see how long it would take to order another van, and turns out someone had just bailed on a 4x4 order that is scheduled for an October build date. Met with the dealer to spec our build, and we should be getting our van in January. We met with Tourig for a more exhaustive review of our current plan to see what they thought, and we're extremely happy with what they're able to do. We'll finance the van as an auto loan, and just pay cash for the Tourig build. It'll end up being a bit more expensive, but it will be in line with what we really want.

I have attached the final build design for our SMB order, for those that were asking. SMB doesn't do a schematic diagram for electrical, or other utilities. Your final build sheets will consist of this diagram, colors, and the items sheet showing which cabinets and other options you chose.

Our build with Tourig will be essentially the same as this. Instead of a dinette, we're going with a low platform bed that is a really custom design that Tourig is releasing in a few weeks. I can't elaborate on it until they go public.

We're likely going to skip A/C for now since they have insulated window panels that also draw up (rather than having to remove). This should help keep the temps low as opposed to the lighter shades that SMB uses.

We'll do a single solar panel since we'll have some roof space available, but we'll also have a auto start to allow the van to start and shutoff when the batteries are topped. We won't rely on it, but it'll be nice to have. It's essentially Victron's Auto Gen Start but tied to the van's engine.

We're still doing lithium, but since all the electrical components will be Victron, we may use their lithium battery. Same Nations alternator and regulator setup that SMB uses, but the inverter, BMS, solar controller, etc - will all be balmer wired into a marine panel (something else I really wanted).

Shore power will be under the van, so no holes in the sides. We'll have city water connection in the van, but purely for topping up water tanks.

We're undecided about a D2 + flat plate to engine for hot water, or going with a Rixen setup.

Otherwise, the bulk of the design will be the same. The only difference on our van build is that we ordered a factory window in the slider door since Tourig indicated that the awning windows in that door can rattle. Otherwise, the van order is exactly the same.

Tourig will do the windows, insulation, and walls in February so we can get a functional van. But, the full build won't happen until mid-summer next year. We're pretty bummed about the timeline change, but overall, we're happy that we're able to get the van from the same dealer that will maintain it, and the fact that the up fitter is only 20 minutes from us as opposed to half-way across the country.

As for the lithium builds that you guys have slotted - I think whoever is the earlier will end up being the test subject for a Lithionics install. We chose a 110AH Lithionics (the 200 AMP max discharge unit - not the smaller 110AH battery) because it would be easy to resell and it fit in a standard battery box. But, there was just no way around the fact that it has to be installed the same way a lead acid battery would be. I don't think SMB will have any problems installing the Lithionics itself as Nations will provide good support, and it's really not much different than the Smart batteries they've been installing.

I'll check in from time to time to see how everyone's build is going. Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf build.pdf (158.2 KB, 61 views)
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:57 PM   #94

Wow, WP. I'm bummed you had to cancel your order. I presume you had to forfeit the deposit you made. Also sorry that you have to wait until next summer to get your rig, but happy you'll be able to get what you really want. I have to confess, I have found myself second guessing my own purchase at times, but remain hopeful that Brian can give me a rig that others can reupfit to my satisfaction later on. Best of luck with your new course and happy trails.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #95

Yeah - had a $2k deposit that we lost. In the grand scheme of things - it's the least of our concerns. Bank of the West failing to bring up a requirement for owning real estate was the craziest part. It's not an unusual requirement as USAA would only loan us $50k for an RV, but will happily pay out $80k for an auto loan. We really should have run the RV app prior to putting a deposit down with SMB to ensure all was well. But, the bank rep said we were well within the limits (high 700's credit, DTI in the low teens).

In the end, I think we'll end up with a build that better fits our needs. I feel bad that Brian went through a ton of labor to get us close to what we wanted, but I guess that's what our $2k covers, lol.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:42 PM   #96

Wrinkledpants, sorry to hear about this as well. I have also been a bit put off by the strictures and inflexibility of SMB at times. Especially now that I've researched other upfitters who are willing to give you what you want for your $130K. In the end I think we'll be happy with the product but it does seem like we need to have a long list of post-conversion work done. I don't know why, but the fact that SMB won't even plan for a couple of carriage bolts locations for the aux tank especially peeves me.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:22 PM   #97

Wrinkledpants, thanks much for attaching your build. A lot of the same parameters we are going to apply to our build. Same systems really. Still agonizing over the rooftop a/c which is just for our dogs while parked in town and we'll never use while actually @ a campsite.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:49 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryguy View Post
...I have also been a bit put off by the strictures and inflexibility of SMB at times. Especially now that I've researched other upfitters who are willing to give you what you want for your $130K.....I don't know why, but the fact that SMB won't even plan for a couple of carriage bolts locations for the aux tank especially peeves me.
Ditto.....
Old 09-04-2017, 12:18 AM   #99

That being said, doesn't mean I won't have another full run at the windmill when I'm face to face with Brian!
Old 09-04-2017, 02:04 AM   #100

Yep. You're next up to bat. Sure hope you get somewhere.