Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #1

No 4 cylinder Sprinters for 2017/2018

I just received a call from my dealer on the 2017 Sprinter 4 cylinder that I had ordered in April. It is a "no go" but they offered to change my order to a 2017 6 cylinder model for no extra charge (waived the $1500 6 cylinder charge). They can apparently also order 2018 Sprinters now but only in 6 cylinder models. I see the MB website no longer lists 4 cylinders as an option.

Who knows what the 2019 new engine models will be but it looks like the prior 4 cylinders are history (unless you can figure out how to cut the EPA locks on the storage area in South Carolina where the stockpile of 4 cylinders are probably sitting).

jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #2

Go for the 6cyl. ...

Where are you getting it uplifted? Is the up fitter the dealer as well (SMB)?

It's purely academic at this point, but, here's a link to another thread about diesels and eventually similar info that you just confirmed first hand (if you haven't seen it already):

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post201010

m.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #3

I'd go for it, especially if you are going to upfit the vehicle, as the extra weight could benefit from the extra power. Is the 6 available in both 2wd as well as 4wd? If he's offering you a 2wd 6 cyl., I'd ask him to throw in the 4wd also for a huge discount.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #4

FWIW, we have a 2016 24 foot, 3500 medium high roof 2wd Sprinter that SMB converted last year. We ordered the van locally for drop shipment to SMB Indiana. It has the V-6. Both SMB and our local dealer recommended the V-6 in light of the weight. It weighs about 9,400 lbs with full fuel and fresh water tanks and fully loaded with food, clothing, golf clubs, etc.
mechmike10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:30 AM   #5

The issue is that the 4 cylinder / 7 speed transmission combination is generally considered the better Sprinter engine. It has a little less horsepower but is otherwise smoother, quieter, has better mileage and is more reliable. My Freightliner dealer rarely orders the 6 cylinder engine for all his business customers. They almost all prefer the long term reliability of the 4 cylinder engine.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote