Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
Don't get me started on brothers.

I don't know which model Espar Hydronic they're installing. I'll know next week. Looking at the manual, depending on the model and what you have it set at, the Hydronic coolant heater will draw between 2 and 4 amps and will function with the battery down to 10v. Arctic Fox has a number of items that might be fun/useful. They have both fuel tank and battery heaters that work with coolant heaters like the Hydronic. I bet there'd be more than enough juice in a 4D or dual battery system to start things moving, assuming the diesel hasn't gelled in the fuel line. Once all that starts warming the batteries up you'll will have more power. It says you can get a 7-Day timer as well. If you can have the Hydronic timer turn on one of their 12v heated fuel lines as well then you're all set. With something like the chili dog starting the van once or twice a day you're even better off. Though, ideally, you could have a CarPC with the proper controller coordinating the whole thing.

Or, if I do ever make the trip, I could just leave the motor running.

I do think it's funny that this would be using the Hydronic for it's intended purpose rather than making hot water for dishes and cocoa.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #12

Seriously, I've heard of people using water bed heaters and the like for their batteries. It would probably be easy enough to rig up something for a one time trip. And go with something like the above -- or parts of it anyway -- for prolonged use.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #13

Comfy ride

Getting further off topic, my SMB started up okay (althougth slowly) last winter one morning at -6 degrees F, after not having been driven for 3 or 4 days. I was impressed with that.

Five years ago in February, we nearly froze to death in a cabin up next to Glacier National Park at -40 degrees F, but my old Subaru Forester started right up that morning. Sadly, all my wine for the weekend froze, and popped the corks out of the bottles in back of the Forester (wine freezes at -18 degrees F). Now that was a mess!

Seriously, if anybody is planning a winter trip up North with an SMB, I would watch Ice Road Truckers on the History Channel and see how they keep their big diesels going in severe cold. It's a lot of work.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:10 PM   #14

Yeah, I love that show. Saw everyone. Tivo might be the second greatest invention.

I had an F-250 with the 7.3 years ago. I was amazed how cold it could get with out causing me problems. Still, I have no desire to get trapped in the middle of nowhere somewhere above the arctic circle. When I start heading that far north I know I'll do some kind of prep.