Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I could build two of my vans for that. My van could have a van.
You could have a like-new, full frame-off restored E-series with 4x4, full interior, pop-top AND a modern 6.7L Cummins drivetrain for less than a typical Outside Van Sprinter build...
__________________

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Flux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Palmdale, CA
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
You could have a like-new, full frame-off restored E-series with 4x4, full interior, pop-top AND a modern 6.7L Cummins drivetrain for less than a typical Outside Van Sprinter build...

I am gonna want a couple rotating Scheel-Mann's in there too!! With Red Seat Belts......Love my V10, but I do love the Diesel pull more.....buying lottery tickets now.


In their defense, they certainly have some nice ideas incorporated into the van. I guess it depends on how objective you are about your cash and what things are worth to you.

For me?? I'd rather give a lot of things a go and screw some things up. I have made a few mistakes on my build that cost some $$, but overall I am having fun with it. When I got into the interior, I kind of realized that my thinking was not perfect here and there were some better ways of doing things. But I resolved to keep going, finish it out, and perhaps redo some things later after I have used the van and have a better understanding of how I want things.

I have a big list of What I Would Do Different. But again, enjoying the process, learning a lot, designing custom things, buying tools, messing things up, getting things right, getting dirty, etc......all part of things I like to do.

But comparing my home build to a pro build may not be apples to apples. But I am a little blown away by the pricing on some of these sprinter builds, especially knowing the stock price of the vans.
__________________

__________________
<br>
Tim - 2013 EB V10 Agile 4x4 SMB PH Ginger Army All Terrain Mobile HQ
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
bemerritt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I am gonna want a couple rotating Scheel-Mann's in there too!! With Red Seat Belts......Love my V10, but I do love the Diesel pull more.....buying lottery tickets now.


In their defense, they certainly have some nice ideas incorporated into the van. I guess it depends on how objective you are about your cash and what things are worth to you.

For me?? I'd rather give a lot of things a go and screw some things up. I have made a few mistakes on my build that cost some $$, but overall I am having fun with it. When I got into the interior, I kind of realized that my thinking was not perfect here and there were some better ways of doing things. But I resolved to keep going, finish it out, and perhaps redo some things later after I have used the van and have a better understanding of how I want things.

I have a big list of What I Would Do Different. But again, enjoying the process, learning a lot, designing custom things, buying tools, messing things up, getting things right, getting dirty, etc......all part of things I like to do.

But comparing my home build to a pro build may not be apples to apples. But I am a little blown away by the pricing on some of these sprinter builds, especially knowing the stock price of the vans.
This! I am about to embark on my 3rd interior build....in the same van! haha. Learn things along the way, gather equipment for the van along the way.

By buying nice components, the actual build is a small part. Starting the build having the fridge, heater, inverter etc you want in the final build is a lot easier than acquiring it in pieces, thats for sure. Plus, helps you realise what works and what doesn't. My past two were pretty minimal, with most things being repurposed in one way or another. And like you said, it is fun for people like you, me and everyone else on here that does home builds.

When looking at any quote, it is always the labor that kills you with these vans. I mean, doesn't SMB charge $4k for an espar in your van? That's less than $1,500 in materials. Windows are the same story, a $400 window costs north of $2k.

I am sure OSV is the same/or worse pricewise since their designs are newer and I assume they are trying to recover R&D expenses faster.

Regardless, can never emphasize to build it yourself or buy used enough.
bemerritt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 376
Wicked Mike in North Hollywood will do a full build interior without cutting corners to your liking. He's a one man show with exceptional fabrication talent.

I entertained SMB & OSV for my interior build, in the end I chose Mike and extremely happy with the end result. Superior materials and craftsman skill at reasonable costs compared to the former two.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:57 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
wow. that's spendy. curious to hear why such a price as well.

if you find a van you like, reach out to tony at access vans for a possible interior build out. not much he cant do. very talented fabricator.

if they are too expensive, we also have the gent who does the interiors for trekker vans living here in boise as well. I just left him a message to see if it would be something he was interested in doing as a side project. ill report back if your interested.
shenrie,

Thanks. The guy at Mercedes-Benz recommended Access Vans too. Their website doesn't have any examples of RVs. Do they do that kind of work?

Sure, keep me informed. I'd like to find a local conversion company.
bongcrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
shenrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: boise idaho
Posts: 1,741
Garage
I talked with brain and he is still building out trekker vans to fulfill his contract. he is debating getting into this type of work, but you never know. he said I could give you his contact info and you could reach him and see if his timeline worked for you. this venture isn't his only business, so he has to keep projects at a minimum to keep his real bread and butter coming in. ill pm you his info.

and yes, access vans is doing campervan work now in addition to the mobility work. my buddy tony is who helped me put on my poptop, onboard air and a few other of the projects ive got completed so far. if you've seen the local blm pumper trucks, you've seen his work. he used to work at bme building fire trucks from scratch. he can fabricate most anything you can think up out of most any material. he has a great imagination and a really good eye for detail. hes just getting started with access, but he said he really likes it there. if hes happy where he works, amazing things will follow.
__________________
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 557
The so called Class B+ (really a small Class C) models built on a Sprinter cutaway are also getting to the point of costing twice as much as small Class C vehicles built on E-350 and E-450 cutaways. I took a look at a Pleasure-Way Plateau XLTD (22' 9") last week. The MSRP is in the $130k range, but most dealers across the country are listing it for as high as $150k and a similar model for as high as $156k.

IDK if it's perceived status or what. Anyway, the price climb really is scary.

My SMB won't be cheap, but that's because we are getting almost all options, all Van Compass upgrades, and will put in 2-3 8D lithium batteries. As far as these stock vehicles without all those options, maybe it's just supply and demand.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Flux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Palmdale, CA
Posts: 1,208
My head is starting to spin.
__________________
<br>
Tim - 2013 EB V10 Agile 4x4 SMB PH Ginger Army All Terrain Mobile HQ
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 6,641
Nomad Vanz is another new player in the Sprinter/PNW sector.

VanHaus Vans is yet another.
__________________
98 Silver E350 V10 home build
Rusty the Rusty 95 SMB (sold)
Tryptovan the blue CCV van (sold)
Vans flip flops
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
mikracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tienckb View Post
Wicked Mike in North Hollywood will do a full build interior without cutting corners to your liking. He's a one man show with exceptional fabrication talent.

I entertained SMB & OSV for my interior build, in the end I chose Mike and extremely happy with the end result. Superior materials and craftsman skill at reasonable costs compared to the former two.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After seeing pics of Tienckb's van, I wouldn't even consider going any other route.
__________________

__________________
2005 E350 Chateau - V10 - Agile Offroad 4x4
2003 BMW 540iT - M Sport
1958 Apache Fleetside - The weekend cruiser
mikracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Sportsmobile Registry

Big Grey

allenl

Woodstock

woodstock
Add your Sportsmobile
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.