Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #1

OUTSIDE VAN prices. Am I missing something here?

In my forever search for a van, I occasionally come across an OUTSIDE VAN and without fail the price is over the top. This recent find is what prompted this post:

https://boise.craigslist.org/rvs/6208148236.html

I'm not getting it. This seems like a very minimal and basic layout. How are they justifying these prices? Is it the status symbol of class B RVs? I ran into another OUTSIDE VAN in Oregon and the owner fessed up he paid almost 170k for the rig. It was nice and had all the bells and whistles, but 170k!?

Someone enlighten me.

bongcrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #2

Garage
wow. that's spendy. curious to hear why such a price as well.

if you find a van you like, reach out to tony at access vans for a possible interior build out. not much he cant do. very talented fabricator.

if they are too expensive, we also have the gent who does the interiors for trekker vans living here in boise as well. I just left him a message to see if it would be something he was interested in doing as a side project. ill report back if your interested.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongcrosby View Post
Someone enlighten me.
They are a complete rip off. There is nothing in or about that van that necessitates that price, except that you are paying for a name. It's a sales tactic used by some make in just about every hobby or lifestyle and apparently it's working for Outside Van. It's sad but it's capitalism.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #4

Agreed, prices do seem on the high side. My parents looked at OSV, but also found the prices a little steep. The other strange thing is that my parents have a clear vision of what they want their van to be and it is a custom layout, and OSV kept trying to steer my folks back towards the OSV "Core"(standard) build-out. Their lead time however, is much shorter than SMB's so they definitely have that in their favor, especially if you are going with one of their "Core" builds.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #5

I knew putting a Hammock up was an option for any of my Hobo Buddies that wanna slip into our rig to sleep at night...

Other than that take-away from the listing and pics, the set up is a bare bones interior for a lot of loot.
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #6

I could build two of my vans for that. My van could have a van.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I could build two of my vans for that. My van could have a van.
*Three of your vans
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #8

Pricing aside, I do like the modularity of the OSV design. I was always a fan of the SMB Transformer setup. Just about everything in the OSV design is mounted on the Mac's Track(L-Track) stuff, even the couches. They put the L-Track on the walls as well so the overhead storage shelf/cabinet thingy can be removed.

I really like the looks of this van but based on their pricing, it is probably a $300k van! "ain't nobody got time for that!"

https://www.outsidevan.com/van/timber-den/
Old 07-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
*Three of your vans

I wish. My build is heading a little north of what I originally thought, but I used good stuff and didn't skimp on most things. I do see first hand why pricing is what it is.

For the small van builder it's not easy. SMB has a crew, templates, all the problems solved, and of course value engineered for maximum wood and sheet metal screws. Starting fresh on a never been laid out vehicle is tough. I can attest to this.

But then again, a Sprinter is worlds easier than an econoline. I don't think there is a straight line in an econoline, everything dips and curves. I can't imagine having a straight consistent wall with a minor vertical arc in it. Or a floor with consistent ribs. Time is the real killer and you better have a wide variety of skills from running a MIG welder to sewing machine.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:

For the small van builder it's not easy....
You've got that right!

Quote:
...Time is the real killer and you better have a wide variety of skills from running a MIG welder to sewing machine....
Right again!

I've had to learn a lot of new skills very quickly. Super fun though!
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote