Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #1

Outsidevan.com

This sprinter conversion outfit - OutsideVan has some interesting interior ideas and colors and lighting and high end fixtures (slide out drawer refer!) not available at SMB West and a quirky option to sleep crosswise in the sprinter. Check it out: http://www.outsidevan.com/flarespace.php. Wow, you can even get soapstone countertops and real wood and steel interiors if you need to suppress your gas mileage and acceleration time

I contacted Outside van about a Sprinter build, but they don't do penthouse tops at all so we are going with SMB and resigning ourselves to the limited interior finish options because of the SMB quality workmanship and extensive experience with van build outs

Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #2

Re: Outsidevan.com

You could have SMB put on a P/H top, then have OutsideVan (or any outfitter of your choice) do the interior.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #3

We considered splitting the buildout. But we wanted a PT and solar charging system and I did not want someone else messing with the wiring from the new house battery from a responsibility standpoint and the hassle and the added time to coordinating logistics of a multi site build long distance was not what I wanted to deal with along with a full time job. Just wish SMB West was interested installing more up to date equipment like LED lights. Installing the 25 YO incandescent stuff is lame for the $$$.
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #4

Why not try SMB in Austin? Or supply your own lights/fridge/whatever else you want to SMB West? I know a member of this forum, K9 Sprinter, had SMB Austin install many custom parts he provided to them...
frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #5

West and Austin are both pretty flexible, but Austin are the Sprinter experts (as West is SMB4x4)... Indiana... well if you don't want to wait in the queue...
Old 01-03-2012, 04:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenard
We considered splitting the buildout. But we wanted a PT and solar charging system and I did not want someone else messing with the wiring from the new house battery from a responsibility standpoint and the hassle and the added time to coordinating logistics of a multi site build long distance was not what I wanted to deal with along with a full time job. Just wish SMB West was interested installing more up to date equipment like LED lights. Installing the 25 YO incandescent stuff is lame for the $$$.
Why are you having a problem getting LEDs???? LEDs lights have been standard ( http://www.sportsmobile.com/2_stdplans_info.html )in new builds for the last year ... On my build it was not a standard yet, but they still put them in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyone
Why not try SMB in Austin? Or supply your own lights/fridge/whatever else you want to SMB West? I know a member of this forum, K9 Sprinter, had SMB Austin install many custom parts he provided to them...
Yes I supplied Austin with lots of stuff, including LEDs. (the LEDs I supplied were for the outside only, they supplied the ALL inside LEDS) Paul in Austin,goes out of his way to give you EXACTLY what you what want in a QUALITY build
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
West and Austin are both pretty flexible, but Austin are the Sprinter experts (as West is SMB4x4)... Indiana... well if you don't want to wait in the queue...
Im only a few 100 miles from Indiana, I still went 1700 miles to Austin, as they are the sprinter experts... (as West is SMB4x4)... and Indiana, ...........Well,,,,,,when I was 1st looking for a upfitter,they didnt even know the differance between the 110 AC and the belt driven AC, that I wanted installed
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #7

A 2nd vote for an SMB top install and then a separate interior build.

We had SMB install our fixed top and then we took the van elsewhere for the interior build.

Looking at some of the issues that others have had with top bolting and sealing, I'm wondering whether "bare" tops may even get a better quality install. When the bolts and seals are exposed, it certainly encourages careful work.

Re bringing your own electrical gear to Austin, we talked to Paul about doing something similar. He seemed knowledgable about it and willing to work with non-standard devices. While we chose another builder for other reasons, we did feel good about Austin's ability to work with a basic solar setup.
Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #8

Another pretty unique feature of OutsideVan's Sprinter conversion designs is that some (like the Espar Power Hauler design, for example) are built with removable (and movable) components, mounted in L-track so they can be easily installed and removed depending upon what configuration you need for your trip.

I'm not sure if any of the SMB locations offer this type of option, might be worth asking about.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #9

A lesson I learned is that Paul is the salesman -- he does not have to build what he promises, sombody else does. I found a consideralble gap between promise and the build. Paul makes "assumptions" in line with what you want to hear. More than once I was told they could not build what Paul promised.

This is not unique to Sportsmobile, but something I learned in my 45 year career, several times. Lessons are repeated until they are learned. Then you forget and get to learn them again....

Talk to both the sales folks and the people doing the build! You will be amazed at the gap.
SkinnyRV is offline   Reply With Quote