Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #11

Garage
Tried it

Raised and lowered about 7-8 full cycles and that isn't helping anything. The thing is that raising and/or lowering in one cycle all at once is hard to do--you have to constantly adjust the fabric on the top so it doesn't get pinched by the scissors and make sure the bed seats on the rails, etc. I think we isolated the main problem to the back scissors--it is not fixed at the base like the front end and travels the length of the panel on the roof. It feels very rough and jerky as it raises and lowers. To access it you have to get the panel holding the lights and covering the end of the tube off and maybe re-grease. That is the part that had the thick white non smelling grease that I could just access from the side with my finger. If this is something that requires regular maintenance it should have been made more clear. Actually, nothing from SMB has been clear IMO. The owners manual is a joke for the systems and there is nothing about regular maintenance for stuff like this. Might end up driving the 250 miles to SMB after all. Thanks for all the great ideas though.

hildems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:58 PM   #12

Garage
Picture of panel

This is the area that is the problem--it jerks, vibrates, and is super noisy. The cylinder slides along this back grey panel but it is not at all smooth. The front cylinder is fixed on the front panel but this back one slides, or is supposed to slide but it is more of a jerky movement than at all smooth.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1134.jpg  
Old 07-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #13
Site Team

Maybe talk to SMB and offer to send them a video of the problem area so they can see it before you have to take it to them?

Herb
Old 07-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #14
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
@ctb, was that advice for a manual or electric PH?
Electric top...but reading a later post here sounds like it might not be fixed like that OR, I misunderstood Jim, but I am pretty sure that is how he put it...with the fabric getting caught in the screws, you might have a big wad of greasy fabric that not only dried up the initial grease/lube, but cleaned the screwdrives-screws and maybe (again) those ads are causing trouble too...I am just logging in so I will have to go back and read that a little closer...
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Maybe talk to SMB and offer to send them a video of the problem area so they can see it before you have to take it to them?

Herb
X-2 and don't rule out going back to SMB. 400 miles is a short trip IMO.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:25 PM   #16
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
How about the bolts holding that part on (under the grey part) that connect to the top itself...if you ever climbed on top (roof/penthouse) and saw the silver dollar size washers with the vinyl bolt protectors on the front and back?... maybe one snapped? Does the roof separate a little from that grey cover? That is all I can think of...at least only 250 miles though...thats up early good breakfast, lunch there, supper and drive 1/2 way home and sleep!? Good luck!!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #17

Garage
Bolts are ok on top

Found this gem while searching for problem areas. Think it was an install deal as it is nowhere near where the jerking/noise is happening. There were no metal shavings anywhere in the tracks for the coils which looked greased well on both ends. Still waiting on a call/email from SMB. Thanks for all the great ideas and tips though.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1145.jpg  
Old 08-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #18

Garage
Advise from SMB

From SMB after 3 emails:
"I just watched the video. It sounds like the upholstered cover on top is dry. Spray some dry silicone as much as you can and see if that does the trick. Other than that I don’t think there is a problem to where the top mechanism is breaking. Let me know how it goes."

We spray lubed every joint in the mechanism and tray area that houses the spring coils after removing the fabric cover on the sides. This did absolutely nothing. We did find that one side of the coil in back has no links attached and the other has 2 links. The top has always been lop-sided, one side comes down faster than the other and it never seats correctly on the van--we have to get the ladder, climb up to the top and move it until it seats properly on the van. Does anyone else have a different number of links on each side of their PH top. All of these issues we have been told by SMB that this is "normal" It is NOT normal to have this jerky noisy lopsided PH.
If anyone heard or saw the videos we have sent with the associated noise, it is very apparent that it is more than just being "dry". There is a lot of thick white grease still on all the parts and the spray lube did nothing.
This $106K van is basically un-usable and SMB couldn't care less IMO.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:27 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildems View Post
...This $106K van is basically un-usable and SMB couldn't care less IMO.
Sounds like a 250 mile drive would be well worth it.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildems View Post
The top has always been lop-sided, one side comes down faster than the other and it never seats correctly on the van--we have to get the ladder, climb up to the top and move it until it seats properly on the van.
This is definitely not normal. Take some pictures inside and out with the top up and down, we may be able to see something. Or head to Fresno.

I wouldn't be worried about a squeak, all the silicon lube in the world ain't gonna straighten the top!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote