Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #1

Garage
PH Top lube--how do you do it?

My top is super jerky going up and down. It also sounds horrible both ways. What can I do to lube it and do I have to take anything apart? Thank you

hildems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:58 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildems View Post
My top is super jerky going up and down. It also sounds horrible both ways. What can I do to lube it and do I have to take anything apart? Thank you
+1, been wondering this myself.
dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage
SMB suggests silicon spray lube.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #4

Garage
Where do you spray?

I tried spraying the scissors cross area and that did nothing. The ends of the scissors which is where most of the horrible sound is coming from are under the flat covers at the front and back of the PH top area. I stuck my finger in that area and there is a very thick white grease that doesn't smell. I have no idea how to add more grease up there. Kind of amazed that no one else has this issue! It has always been jerky and not smooth but we were told by SMB that there are two actuators and they are not 100% synched and that was to be expected. The sound is like it is totallydry and is definitely not good or "expected". Anyone?
Old 07-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Does it make noise when it's fully up and you physically move the top around? Mine jerks a bit while moving but no loud noise while in motion. Maybe this post will give you some ideas
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ssue-7178.html

Old 07-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #6

Garage
No noise when fully up

The noise and jerking is when raising and lowering and it is getting progressively worse over time. Mine does not have the center silversupport like the one in the thread you linked. It is a 2015 build. I think the two actuators were not balanced and one is lowering before the other, they are just off enough that there is binding and jerking. I don't think any amount of silicone spray is going to fix one side coming down quicker than the other. Sounds like we are going to SMB to get this fixed...very frustrating all around, pretty much makes it un-usable.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Yeah I haven't looked closely at a new Sprinter PH lift. I think a call to SMB might be in order. It would be nice that you post back with how they fix it or even give you advise on how to get things to working again.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #8

Garage
Advice so far...

Latest:

There is no adjustment that can be made. Everything is bolted down solid.
What I recommend is to pull back the fabric covering the mechanism and inspect it while someone lifts and lowers it. Let me know if you notice anything loose or broken.

Latest request for help:

The top on our '15 SMB is now operating more 'jerky', while raising up and down. It is obvious just looking at the top, from either inside or outside, that the passenger side comes down before the driver side, and the driver side goes up before the passenger side. Also, the scissors mechanism is catching/binding, both going up and down, and making some associated noises.

It seems that adjusting the starting position of one side of the scissors would make the movement much smoother. Do you have some instructions that would help me with this adjustment? Also, what lubrication do you recommend? I am sure you want to see the van if possible, but that does involve a 400 mile round trip drive. If you can give any guidance at all, I am a mech/aero engineer and hopefully I should be able to adjust the mechanism without driving to your facility.

Advise from Sep 15:

From reading your description, it sounds like everything is fine. The electric actuators are not in sync with each other. In most cases one is slower than the other.
As long as there is no evident binding or loud popping noises you should be ok.

Of course the only way to be 100% sure would be to have me look at it. let me know if stopping by is possible and I would be more than happy to inspect your top.

Original Message about the issue (this was before the horrible noise was the norm)

Since we got our SMB Sprinter on April 28, 2015 the penthouse has come down unevenly. I did some measurements today parked on a flat surface with nothing on the roof. At the top position, the two sides of the PH are almost even (within 1/2", measuring vertically from top of roof to bottom on PH side). I took several measurements while moving the top up, down, repeat, etc, and found that the driver's side of the PH is about 1.5" - 2.5" lower than the passenger's side as it nears the roof top. This measurement is taken vertically from the top of the roof to the bottom side of the PH. Also, if I don't manually move the top over an inch or so, the top will come down off to one side of the van, and usually be up on a ridge on the roof on one side only.

It seems to me that the top mechanism could be adjusted so that the two sides of the PH come down evenly, and touch the roof at about the same time. However, since the roof sits evenly (horizontally) now when it is all the way up, I wonder if any adjustment might also adversely affect the PH top in the up position?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:36 AM   #9
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
When we picked up Sporty at SMB North, and getting the tour by Chad our builder and was going over the penthouse, as I was going to lower the top half way then raise it up, Jim the MGR was listening and adding his two cents to what Chad was missing (you know, 35 years in the SMB biz, you listen to the guy) and specifically said that when you raise or lower the top, do it COMPLETELY EVERY time...he said that if not, the sides will get out of sync and then you'll have to raise and lower it 'completely' 5+ times to get it re-synced...he said some people like to raise it a bit then lower it to drive again, but he made it sound as if there is just that point of no return that will throw it off, so why chance it. Jim is about the best person to talk SMB to that isn't on this forum (lol)...so, it sounds tedious, but worth a try? Up and down completely five or so times until it evens out? And add the grease/silicone too...keep us posted...or BETTER yet, call Jim in Indiana (SMB North) and ask...just a suggestion...but still, keep us posted!!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #10

@ctb, was that advice for a manual or electric PH?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote