Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 12:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryguy View Post
Fitz, Agile Offroad uses a 275/70/17 tire. I think I'll go with BFG A/T in that size.
Please clarify, are they installing the 275/70/17’s WITH or WITHOUT a spacer? My guess is without, but I want to be 100% sure.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #32

Fitz, Agile tells me the wheel spacers are required with either 265 or 275. I haven't discussed it in depth with them but will when I arrive at their facility. In the meantime I've researched spacers a bit and the depending on the spacer I don't believe I'll have an issue.

BTW, Agile price for five wheels, 275/70/17, BFG A/T, walord rims is better than the SMB price for 265's on same rims.
Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #33

It looks like the difference in wheel size may be driving the need for the spacers.

I have Method 17x7.5 wheels with a 50mm offset. The Black Rhino Warload wheels are 17x8 with a 52mm offset.

The Methods with Load Range E 265/70/17 BFG All Terrain T/A KO2’s with no spacer result in zero rubbing.

Looking forward to learning more!
Old 11-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #34

Fitz, the other complicating factor is specified vs actual tire size. BFGs tend to run small for the stated size...Toyos and Nittos tend to run pretty close to spec. Cooper s vary based on tread design. My duratracs aren't too far off spec (on the Jeep), but tend to be wider than others due to their side lugs. Wheel width greatly impacts how much the sidewall bulges.
VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
It looks like the difference in wheel size may be driving the need for the spacers.

I have Method 17x7.5 wheels with a 50mm offset. The Black Rhino Warload wheels are 17x8 with a 52mm offset.

The Methods with Load Range E 265/70/17 BFG All Terrain T/A KO2’s with no spacer result in zero rubbing.

Looking forward to learning more!
Since i'm currently working to get my wheels ordered I'm interested in learning too!

Fitz, what you're thinking here is that the 8" wheels are 1/2" (12.7mm) wider but the Black Rhino wheels are only (52-50=) 2mm further out than the Method wheels -- so that 10.7mm is the difference between rubbing and not rubbing when running the 265 tires? This is consistent with the .36" (9.1mm) clearance you're seeing with 265 tires (on method wheels).

I think we'd get this satellite into orbit easier if we could agree on metric or not.

sheesh. I see why my shop "corrected" my order from my specified 265 down to LT24570R17 (also for Method wheels).
Pritikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #36

I was looking over this thread and think there may be some confusion about the need for wheel spacers.

You can run up to 285 width on factory wheels. I have seen 285/75/16 tires on many 4x4 Sprinters.

I have seen 305s on Method wheels without a spacer. Very tight clearance.

Wheel spacers are needed when installing the Agile RIP kit. A coil is placed around the strut. The wheel/tire must be spaced away from the coil for everything to clear.

Wheel spacers are needed if you plan to run a 315 width tire with a VC lift kit. All aftermarket wheels do not seem to have enough clearance. We have tested a 315/70/17 on a Method, the tire just kissed the strut. A 14mm spacer gave about 12mm of clearance. If you plan to lift and go with a smaller tire there is no need for a spacer.

We like the Method wheel width and offset with a 14mm spacer for 315s. The set up allows the slider door to open all the way without interference.

We can also get custom made 17 x 8.5" wide Trail Ready wheels for you Sprinter (same mfg Roam Built uses). I would order with 5.5" back spacing for a 315. BUT there is a possibility of tire/slider door clearance on a 144" with this setup. No spacer would be needed at this point. The wheels start at $460 each and true beadlocks can be ordered. We might order a set for our test van to confirm slider door and tire clearance.

Here is a link to look at wheel width and offset. Great source to compare different wheel options.
Wheel Offset Calculator | 1010Tires.com Discount Online Tire and Wheel Store

Pictures of a Van Compass 2" lifted 4x4 on 315/70/17 because everyone like pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4108 (Medium).jpg   IMG_4116 (Medium).jpg  

Mercedes Sprinter Overland Products
Van Compass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Compass View Post
I was looking over this thread and think there may be some confusion about the need for wheel spacers.

You can run up to 285 width on factory wheels. I have seen 285/75/16 tires on many 4x4 Sprinters.

Wheel spacers are needed when installing the Agile RIP kit. A coil is placed around the strut. The wheel/tire must be spaced away from the coil for everything to clear.

Wheel spacers are needed if you plan to run a 315 width tire with a VC lift kit. All aftermarket wheels do not seem to have enough clearance. We have tested a 315/70/17 on a Method, the tire just kissed the strut. A 14mm spacer gave about 12mm of clearance. If you plan to lift and go with a smaller tire there is no need for a spacer.

We like the Method wheel width and offset with a 14mm spacer for 315s. The set up allows the slider door to open all the way without interference.

We can also get custom made 17 x 8.5" wide Trail Ready wheels for you Sprinter (same mfg Roam Built uses). I would order with 5.5" back spacing for a 315. BUT there is a possibility of tire/slider door clearance on a 144" with this setup. No spacer would be needed at this point. The wheels start at $460 each and true beadlocks can be ordered. We might order a set for our test van to confirm slider door and tire clearance.

Here is a link to look at wheel width and offset. Great source to compare different wheel options.

Pictures of a Van Compass 2" lifted 4x4 on 315/70/17 because everyone like pictures.
Outstanding response!
VtSoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #38
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Compass View Post

Saw this the other day on IG and love it! At some point we will go with a 4x4 sprinter. It will be a ways down the line… so lots may change. But maybe not, guess it depends on what Mercedes does, but the Vancompass sprinter looks amazing.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote