Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #11

Re: Question for Espar D2 / Webasto Airtop 2000D Owners

We have the Epar D2 and propane water heater and are very happy with them. I asked SMB North about the Webasto and Nancy said they were not approved by RVIA so they could not install them.

David

Old 12-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #12

I want to install Webasto Dual Top w/ Water in my ground-up build; but I'm afraid to have it installed underneath given all the rocks, deep water, and dust we run our vans through.

I want to put it inside. Has anyone actually done that? I have room. I'm worried about an exhaust pipe leak on the way down through the floor. I donno why I'm worried. Precision Temp has been installing tankless water heaters since forever and exhaust through the floor.

I think I've even figured out a way that the 2.9 gals of hot water in the boiler will be more than enough. The Dual Top runs its hot water out line(s) to the hot side of a faucet with a typical mixer with cold. If I kick the heater up to 153 deg instead of its default 104 degrees, it shouldn't take much hot water to go with the cold to get a shower done. After the shower, of course, I need to reset it back to 104.

There was a post earlier that RIVA hasn't certified Webasto. That doesn't surprise me since the Dual Top has only been sold in US for less than 2 years.

JC
Old 12-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #13

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTex
I want to put it inside. Has anyone actually done that?
Four posts up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt
No smell at all if I don't open the rear doors (the exhaust) is located in the back on driver side and very low noise even if the heater is located in the van, not Under the floor as usual. It is delivered with a muffler and outside noise is also unsignificant.
dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #14

our 2012 SMBW 2500 Sprinter PH has a SMB installed Espar D5 for heat and hot water installed under the van, in front of driver side rear wheel. Takes over 20 minutes to get cold vehicle (25F) up to above 60F with top down, doors closed and a lot of uninsulated van glass all around, but then maintains heat well without too much fan noise. Hot water is available in under 10 minutes. Only issue with under van location of the actual heater unit is it cools off fast in AK weather so there is not much residual hot water or space heat once its off, Reliable, but we don't do a lot of cold weather camping. But, it does use battery juice up and a good clip especially if it is cycling a lot in above freezing weather. Noisy on the exterior that side and slight odor in the air near the exhaust pipe at start up or shutdown if it is in full fire at the time of shut-down (it heats an interior expansion tank and coil for space heating). If I was going to use it more I think I would add some insulation to the below floor pan piping to retain more residual heat and improve response time.
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #15

Thanks, dick; I missed that. I guess this question is best directed to Pschitt in Switzerland; but instead of PM'g him, I'll post it here so everyone can use the information. Since these issues apply to someone's using just the Air Top vs the Dual Top I want, I think it still falls under the OP's original question.

If anyone else knows any answers, please chime in.

Is there an install-clearance problem. That is, must the unit be placed with a minimum inches of air on all sides. In other words, how hot does the heater/boiler get? Mine will be in a cabinet typical of other hot water devices. Did you do any special insulation or protection in the place where you put yours?

When you went down through the floor with the exhaust, did you have to install a heat dissipation sleeve around the pipe, like those used to go through roofs with metal smoke stacks? Did you get a kit from Webasto for taking the pipe through sheet metal? I suspect they sell one for going through boat hulls.

Is there a restriction on how long the exhaust pipe can be from when it leaves the heater? Mine may be 3-4'.

What is the outside diameter of the hoses that supply warm air? Do these hoses need special insulation, that is, do they get hot, particularly in the first centimeters coming out of the heater?

Are there 1 or 2 air intakes? Does Webasto require the air intake come from the outside; or, can it just re-cycle already-heated inside air?

Does the Dual Top make any unusual noise that can be heard inside? There are many posts of these diesel heaters clicking.

Thanks,
JC