Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #1

Question Random ? + thoughts on 2014 24’ Sprinter

Random ? + thoughts on 2014 24’ Sprinter

Hi all

Finishing up a week renting a 2014.5 24’ high roof Sprinter. Camped on and off the grid.

Interior is by Airstream... I won’t comment much on that ... other than to say we would much rather get an interior by SMW !! Lots of rattles and creaks and some really poor choices made by Airstream.

So thoughts on the Sprinter:

Tons of wind noise in the front 50-67 mph. Is it the mirrors?

Is it better in newer Sprinters?

Highly susceptible to cross winds. No fun to drive in crosswinds! Obviously does not have cross wind assist.
I seem to recall reading current Cross Wind Assist on the current Sprinter is very effective. True?

[I have read from multiple sources that the 2017 Transit Cross Wind Assist does basically nothing. I hope they improve it for 2019 if we get a 2019 Transit!]

On the Sprinter - lots of random intermittent mysterious warning chimes with no indication what for. Odd.

HVAC recirculate mode cancels after every van start. Annoying!

Anyone else notice these things?

Thanks. :-)

John.

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:33 AM   #2

Hi - have have the 24 foot long Sprinter converters by Sportsmobile. Yes I do have wind noise but it’s from a very large full length roof rack that 100% worth it because it gives me great “deck” space with a view. As to cross wind driving, i’ve Been out in scary string cross winds and could drive with one finger it handles so well. Good to hear Airstreams rattle because I have no rattling. It handles great. I know Sportsmobile converts far more short wheel base vehicles but mine performs great and it’s so nice to have a comfortable hot shower and full size composting toilet. Those two little luxuries plus my roof deck (and tons of storage) are why I got the vehicle I did.
dford415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dford415 View Post
Hi - have have the 24 foot long Sprinter converters by Sportsmobile. Yes I do have wind noise but it’s from a very large full length roof rack that 100% worth it because it gives me great “deck” space with a view. As to cross wind driving, i’ve Been out in scary string cross winds and could drive with one finger it handles so well. Good to hear Airstreams rattle because I have no rattling. It handles great. I know Sportsmobile converts far more short wheel base vehicles but mine performs great and it’s so nice to have a comfortable hot shower and full size composting toilet. Those two little luxuries plus my roof deck (and tons of storage) are why I got the vehicle I did.
Not sure why the 24’ Sprinter we were driving did so poorly in cross wind so.

And

It did not have a roof rack but still a LOT of wind noise.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote