Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #1

Replacement Tires

Hi all,

I am in the process of shopping for new tires for my 2008 EB. Most of my travel is on paved highways. I will occasionally go on dirt roads and in mud or snow only when I have no other choice. I am considering the Michelin M/S2 LT245/75R16. Any suggestions or other recommendations I should consider?

Are the valve stems involved in the tire pressure monitoring system?

/~fred

fmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Re: Replacement Tires

I had those exact same tires in the same size on my last pickup, which was a one ton crew-cab diesel. We pulled a race car trailer with it and the good friend to whom I sold it pulls a REALLY BIG enclosed race car trailer with it and it must now have over 50,000 miles on it and going strong. I don't think you can buy better tires than those.
And yes, valve stems are involved in TPM systems. Leave them off and buy a good tire gauge and use it often! ( In my admittedly less than humble opinion)...
Bill
Old 07-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #3

I'm really digging the Nitto Terra Grappler ATs on my F250. Done lots of onroad, both daily and interstate, and a fair amount of offroad. They've been great in everything, even deep snow.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #4

We have had Michelin LTX M/S LT225/75R16D tires on our Chev. Express van for the last six years and have 75,000 miles on the tires. We have been very happy with them.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #5

We replaced the stock Continental tire with the same size Michelin LTX AT2 at 29000 miles. Just got back from Alaska and are now at 39600. Tires worked great. Fuel mileage is about the same, around 20mpg overall. Our trip included the Top of the World Hwy., Dalton Hwy. and a run up to the Salmon Glacier. The tires handled mud, dirt, rocks, washboard, potholes and pavement just fine. I would buy another set.

Henry
Old 07-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Greatly appreciated! I went with Michelin M/S.

Henry - your trip to Alaska must have been wonderful. I enjoyed looking through your album. I will get there someday.

Thanks again.
/~fred
fmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #7

Fred

Our trip was a really cool big adventure. We are still amazed at how beautiful North America is and had a lot of fun. So much in fact that we are discussing going back in September to run the Dempster Hwy. Might not work out as we have too many other adventures already planned. Good luck on the tires.

Henry