Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #1

Salem Kroger Sprinter 4x4 Available Now !!!

Here is an update from Salem Kroger outling the components they use in their Sprinter 4x4 conversion. It appears they are sticking with the tried and true ... using a number of Ford components they also use on other vehicle conversions.

Quote:
Salem Kroger has been quietly converting over 3,000 new and used, gas and diesel vans and class A, B and C motorhomes to 4x4 while improving ride quality, handling and safety for almost 20 years. We are registered with the US D.O.T. and do not void your factory warranty, we cover the entire conversion with a 3 year 36,000 mile parts and labor ltd. warranty, excludes abuse and neglect.

To keep the 4x4 conversion simple to live with we install a 2 speed NV271 manual shift transfercase ( 2008 Ford F350 ) and a Dana 60 Super mono-beam front axle ( 2008 F350 ) with manual hub locks and a set of 7,000 lb. disc brakes. The steering is all F350, the front suspension is coil. We upgrade front and rear sway bars and install Rancho RSX99900 adjustable shock absorbers on the front and rear axles. The converted Sprinter corners flatter, stops faster and has more ground clearance than a stock Sprinter. Because the 4x4 front brakes are so big we must upgrade the tires and wheels to at least 17 inch to fit over the rotors. Our conversion lifts the Sprinter 4 inches and can fit up to a 33 inch dia tire.

Options are still rather limited, ltd slip differentials, different tires and wheels, skid plates, bumpers, winches and driving lights. Price including a set of Toyo Open Country A/T tires on aluminum wheels, 3.73 or 4.10 gear ratio axles is $17,172 plus options and applicable sales tax.
This is exciting news for those of us who like the Sprinter's slightly larger size and 20+ mpg yet want decent 4x4 capabilities. If you don't need to tow a boat and can live with modest acceleration, this is an option worth considering. The Mercedes 3.0 only has 154 hp and 280 ft. lbs of torgue, yet it gets high marks for milage, reliability, low noise and low engine heat.

WanderDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #2

Hope they get pics up soon! Thanks for the info.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #3

If I were you I'd wait. Frank from South Africa has opened a company in Southern Carolina that will be producing factory Sprinters. He's not just slapping a t-case in there either, he's making the computer recognize all 4 tires, and has the support of Mercedes Benz. Last I talked to him April was his expected time frame.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #4

That is good to know ... I knew he was working on something but if he can get things up and running in just a few months that is amazing.

Frank ... give us an update !!!
WanderDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:03 AM   #5

With MB Sprinter assembly plants in Charleston SC and Spartanburg SC, and Frank's Sprinter 4x4 conversion shop in SC with MB's approval, and me living in the Carolinas. . .well, that combination's going to be hard to beat when I upgrade to a new SMB in a few years!

Mike
Old 02-06-2008, 08:23 AM   #6

Actually the reason he located the shop in SC is so that the buyer doesn't incur shipping costs- the Sprinter comes off the line in Charleston or Spartanburg and goes to Frank's shop locally, then back to the line or lot with all the other factory Sprinters. That way you pay (the dealer pays) delivery cost to, say, Denver CO one time same as buying any new Sprinter.

If he'd put the factory in Denver there would be a cost to move the chassis to Denver and then a cost to transport the finished vehicle to whatever location.

Too bad because I thought Denver would be a particularly good location for a Sprinter conversion shop!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to herby
sprinter 4x4

hi guys,
sorry that i have been away for a long time but i was very busy.
we are still in progress with sportsvans llc. the response was great! what can i say due to the fact that i am in south africa and you guys 9 hrs behind us that makes me work till 02.00 hrs the next morning. talking to customers and government departments and DOT and and and.
but i am looking forward having a opening party with you guys!!!
i hope we still make it till july this year but we are working hard.

keep you updated

regards

frank
herby is offline   Reply With Quote