Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #1

Skid Plates for 4x4 Sprinters

Mercedes did not add any protection to the engine oil pan, transmission oil pan, transfer case or plastic fuel tank on the 4x4 Sprinter. A 4x4 van should have protection in these areas if you plan to venture off road. The cast aluminum engine oil pan can easily shatter if it makes contact with the ground and I would hate to puncture the fuel tank cresting over a steep hill on the trail.

Van Compass has fitted and installed our skid plate systems on numerous Sportsmobile 4x4 Sprinters. The skids are compatible with the Aluminess front hitch and bumper.

Engine Skid product link
Install Instructions

Transmission/transfer case Skid product link
Install Instructions

Fuel Tank Skid product link.
Install Instructions

Pictured on a 4x4 Sportsmobile
Attached Thumbnails
Bill's Skid 4 (Small).JPG   IMG_1001 (Small).jpg   IMG_1000 (Small).jpg   bill's skid 2 (Small).JPG  

Mercedes Sprinter Overland Products
Van Compass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #2

Sweet! Added to my upgrade list.
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #3

They will be installed on my Sprinter when I bring it back from Austin in a month or so - come to the Valley of Fire Meet Up to see them!
Old 09-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #4

I just returned from Austin with a stop at Van Compass along the way.

Do yourself a favor, lay down under your Sprinter and look, then you will see the wisdom in installing the package. I know I'm glad I did. And FYI, there are no conflicts with this and the Aluminess front winch bumper.

Mark and Rob are great guys and we thoroughly enjoyed meeting them and doing business with them. We walked down the street and had breakfast while they did the install, no issues and easy enough to do yourself, but if you are passing by....

One thing not mentioned above is the added protection if you install the 2nd alternator. It is low, maybe 17" above ground on the 4x4, and it is exposed. In snow country I would see the engine skid plate as required, both for 2wd and 4wd. Mark and Rob told me of one customer who came in for the protection AFTER snow packed in and killed the alternator. My van doesn't have the 2nd alternator, but it does have the bracket in case I decide I want it in the future.

Here is a picture I took of my van, you can see the bracket where the 2nd alternator would be installed, just above and protected by the engine skid plate.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #5

The product overview page at Van Compass indicates the following:

"Factory overrun protection mounts are required for engine skid plate mounting. Please make sure you Sprinter has the mounts pictured below that hang down ~ 6" Additional info pictured in the instructions. If you do not have these mounts please contact us. We will provide a solution. "

see:
https://vancompass.com/collections/s...d-plate-system

But I'm not finding anything about the 'factory overrun protection mounts' in the installation instructions for the engine skid plate.

Does anybody know what they are talking about? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritikin View Post
The product overview page at Van Compass indicates the following:

"Factory overrun protection mounts are required for engine skid plate mounting. Please make sure you Sprinter has the mounts pictured below that hang down ~ 6" Additional info pictured in the instructions. If you do not have these mounts please contact us. We will provide a solution. "

see:
https://vancompass.com/collections/s...d-plate-system

But I'm not finding anything about the 'factory overrun protection mounts' in the installation instructions for the engine skid plate.

Does anybody know what they are talking about? Thanks.
See step #2 of the instructions. The overrun mounts hold the crossbar in place. Step #16 also shows where the skid plate will bolt to the mounts. I have attached a picture for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4626 (2) (1).jpg  

Old 06-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #7

Looks like we are taking about this then and I should be all set?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4610.jpg   IMG_4608.jpg  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritikin View Post
Looks like we are taking about this then and I should be all set?

Thanks!
You are good to go.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #9

I installed the Van Compass front skid plate and am super impressed with the quality and design. It fit perfectly, aligning to all of the factory holes. It looks great and am glad to have it. I am just a happy customer, no affiliation. Some small hands helped me place the spacers and that was a big help as they are in tight spaces.
Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #10

I wish these were available for non-4x4 Sprinters. My second alternator would love a little protection.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote