Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #1

SMB West Personnel change

We have been working with Jeff Reiden in Fresno on our Sprinter. He left last Friday. Bummer. Great guy. Helpful, knowledgeable and not an upseller type. Really felt like he was in our camp. His replacement is Joseph Doyle. Has anyone on this site worked with Joseph? Can you recommend him? Is there someone else at SMB West who might be more knowledgeable.

Thanks. I am scheduled to start the upfitting on 2/7 and we are just locking down on final designs. Not the best time for us to go through a transition.

johnnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #2

Re: SMB West Personnel change

We went through the same experience as you a few years ago. There was a shake up the week before our van went into production and I thought my world was going to collapse. Short story is the build proceeded without a hitch. If there are any doubts, don’t hesitate to contact Alan or Liz, they are both great people to work with.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #3

thanks for the encouragement, Charlie. I think I might feel a little better if we were totally locked on the plan. But we are still tinkering. Jeff was really good about making recommendations. If Joseph is an order taker or a guy looking to up-sell me I am going to struggle.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #4

I don't know if this will help or not, but for what it's worth...

I also worked with Jeff. Although I think he is a good guy, we had several communications issues that have led to some severe frustration on my part. Since I am the customer, the story I'm going with is: It's all his fault!

That being said, throughout this ongoing experience it is my sincere impression that everyone I have been in contact with at SMB West is working very hard to make the van what I need/want it to be. It strikes me that if there is one thing Alan and his people have figured out is any conversion they do is expensive. Worrying about a nickel here and a dime there isn't where their profits are. Producing a product tailored to the client is.

So, I find it highly unlikely that you will feel like anyone there is trying to up-sell you regardless of who you come into contact with.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #5

Yes it does. thanks for the note. And that reflects my experience with them too. Concerned about Joseph's experience with Sprinters really too. Is he the right guy or would I be better off with someone else?
Old 12-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #6

SMB West Personnel change

Don't know Joseph.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #7

We met both Jeff and Joseph (Joe) when we picked up our new Sprinter SMB on Dec 20. Jeff never mentioned he was leaving, but he seemed to be somewhat in a mentor role to Joe. Our main contact was Jonathan Feld, and he told us Joe was new and that both he and Jeff would be helping with our walkthrough as part of his training/orientation. He was very personable, reasonably knowledgable for someone new, and not afraid to say he didn't know the answer to something and find out from someone else. They seem to have a real team spirit at SMB West, so I think new people get all the support they need to do a good job. No one ever tried to upsell us on anything, they just let us know what our options were and what would work and what wouldn't. I think you will have a good experience no matter who your salesman is. Good luck with your build!
2009 Sprinter RB custom floorplan began conversion at SMB West in August 2010, delivered December 20, 2010. Diesel furnace/water heater (Espar D5), gaucho, porta potti, exterior shower, sink, fridge, micro, vent fan, cargo storage in rear.
durangatangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #8

glad to hear it. thanks durangatangs. I'll soon find out. And will let folks know how it goes.