Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2018, 06:50 AM   #1

Snowboard/Ski Stow Back or VC Ladder

Is there a company that makes a snowboard/ski mount which will attach to Aluminess gear in back? Aluminess makes a bike mount but not snowboard/ski mount.

In addition, it might be feasible to have a mount on the VC ladder for one snowboard or pair of skis.

I do have Yakima bars on the roof rack and intend to use that for multiple pairs of skis or snowboards, but for a single pair or board it would be pretty nifty to have a mount right there at ground level.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180608_092227598_HDR.jpg  

Old 11-17-2018, 09:04 AM   #2

I don't know about Aluminess but I have seen a couple of vans with racks attached to their ladders. I think that is what I will do although I think I will bag them too in order to keep that salty road spray off the skis. That stuff sucks.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #3

I've been wondering what people are doing for ski racks. I attached some Yak ski mounts to my ladder on my back door, but it covers my license plate, and the cops generally frown upon covering your license plate. I've been looking for a ski rack that mounts to my swing away spare, but haven't found anything appropriate. I've seen stuff for Jeeps, but they're for bikes. I've been pondering fabricating something out of conduit and kee clamps...
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
I don't know about Aluminess but I have seen a couple of vans with racks attached to their ladders. I think that is what I will do although I think I will bag them too in order to keep that salty road spray off the skis. That stuff sucks.
+1. Mag-chloride spray from the roads is a bad thing on a set of $1000+ skis and bindings, not to mention that it'll probably eat the wax off the bases. I prefer rocket-box style containment.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #5

Yeah salt is a concern, even if they're on racks on top it would be unavoidable. You could always wash the skis off just like the van after every salty road trip (who does that?). Inside or in a box is the best. I'm looking for a way to not have to crawl to the top, though. Maybe I'll design a shower cap for the skis. Hmm.
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:09 AM   #6

Van Compass would probably design/build one for their ladder if there was enough interest. But only if they thought they'd sell.

The hi-lift mount is probably along the same idea on the ladder. It just bolts on. Base plate and upper bracket.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #7

Thule does make a receiver hitch mounted ski carrier.

https://www.rackattack.com/ski-snowb...er-with-locks/

Because of your Aluminess box and tire carrier, you'd also need a receiver extension. This company makes extra long extenders at 28" and 42" long.The chain anchors counter the leveraged pressure from such a long length. (I am not positive-there is a possibility this could require a receiver modification.)

https://www.etrailer.com/comparison....28&pc2=TLE1542

This next one can go to 48" long, doesn't have the anchor chains, and seems designed for both 2.0" and 2.5" receivers.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapt...e/RP45018.html

This isn't something I'd recommend keeping permanently attached, but if you're only taking the van out for a day or two of skiing, it might be a possible solution.

I don't know if ski bags (for salt protection) would fit in this device (with skis inside) or not.

You might also need to run support guy wires or chains from the ski rack over to the top carrier arm above the Aluminess box and another to the spare tire. For quick convenience, maybe heavy duty rubber bungee cords would work.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #8

Garage
I bought a roof mounted ski rack, but plan to build an attachment and mount it vertically on the spare tire on the rear swingarm.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:11 AM   #9

Thanks to all for the input. What I think I'll do is buy the Aluminess bike rack, which will mesh nicely with the other Aluminess products on the back.

We'd intended to start taking our mountain bikes anyway on our summer trips.

I can then take it to a metal shop in town and have it somehow modified to also accept a standard Yakima Powderhound or similar ski/snowboard carrier. Not sure how yet, but I think it's probably doable. Then have the entire assembly repainted or powder coated if needed.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:41 AM   #10

Have you talked to Kenny at Aluminess about this? That would be my first call.