Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 08:04 AM   #21

wheels and tires

I had done a lot of research, including on this site. I won't recap that, but offer my first-hand data and some pics here. Method Standard (black) wheels, 17". I already had the aluminum wheels from factory, which in hindsight was a total waste of $850. I thought originally I would be happy with the factory aluminum and 265/75r16 (accepting that these were wider than 'recommended' width for the 6.5" wheels). The more I thought about it though, the more I was leaning towards the 285/70r17's, so I bit the bullet and went with the larger wheels so I could support larger than 265's if I wanted to, and didn't mind the extra width even for the 265's - and they don't look bad at all. So, ordered the wheels through Discount Tires, and they test fit the 285's on there. They fit, so I didn't even try the 265's and am very glad I went with the larger wheels.

Regarding the 285's: Back is totally fine. Just to take that off the table. There will not be any rubbing there, even at full compression, or compression on hills or turns. There is no rubbing at all on the fronts so far. I have not been off road yet. As you will see in the pics, there is not much clearance left, and I fully anticipate some rubbing against plastic mud flaps and possible plastic work towards front of the wheel well. Nothing I am not prepared to cut into though, and, maybe there will not be rubbing. There really is not that much articulation in the Sprinter suspension. I will post updates if/when they occur on this front. The take-away here is that 285's on the Method Standard fit fine regarding clearance of shocks, brakes, and everything else including turn-to-turn when parked or driving on flat pavement. Jury still out if there will be some rubbing under more stressed conditions, but it does not look like it will be bad.

Pics coming in next post.

Snowy

snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #22

Pic's attached.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP3808.jpg   IMGP3799.jpg   IMGP3796.jpg   IMGP3802.jpg  
Old 07-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #23

The crux of the matter is in this pic. Given castor as set from factory, at about 1/4 turn the tire is closest to rubbing at the front where there is plastic work to enclose the wheel well. Turning in reverse and hitting a bump would probably force contact. I am going to wait and see. If I see actual signs of rubbing, I'll know precisely where the problem area is.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP3807.jpg  
Old 07-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #24

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
It will rub there, that is where they always contact.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
It will rub there, that is where they always contact.
Roger that. No surprise. I will watch where the contact actually emerges to mark the central area of interest and cut accordingly.

On another note, the difference straight to 285's (~32.7" diameter) from stock 245's (~30.4"?) on gearing is noticeable to someone paying attention. I speculate it is roughly 7.5% more work per revolution on the drivetrain (equates to speedo variance as well), which I had expected ahead of time based on previous vehicles and just mentioning here for other readers. By the time the extra weight from the conversion is added in, this is as tall a tire as I would go even if there was clearance for larger - and even that is because I don't anticipate pulling a trailer. Partly due to power ratios, and partly because larger tires than that and I would worry about breaking stuff off road where force is not as well distributed across wheels.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #26

That looks like a problem to me (i.e. the rubbing), but what do I know.
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:55 AM   #27

Stuffed front wheel to take a better look, and the bad news is that there is very little articulation in the front suspension, but the good news is that this may not rub at all, or if it does, not enough to warrant even cutting plastic. Also, the closest spot under compression is actually the rear of the wheel well rather than the front which is closest on flat.
Attached Thumbnails
20160706_180600.jpg   20160706_180832.jpg   20160706_180848.jpg  
Old 07-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #28

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
My experience is with rubbing in the front when turned. None of it is all the bad and only plastic - which on mine has well worn rub marks with 265's on stock wheels. Perhaps the different offset and wider wheel changes the contact points. I now have 265's on the same Method Wheels so I will check it and report back.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:49 AM   #29
IPT

Will read your thread in detail as I consider my options. Thanks for the detailed posts.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #30

Thanks for the detailed posts especially with the timeline. I was trying to get something lined up for next Spring but that appears to be a total dream. Same think with other conversion companies. I am amazed the wait is so long.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4, cassette, hydronic, penthouse, sprinter